ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K20 powered 172

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Removed the pas gubbings yesterday night

56741371-2DD1-4898-ACF4-F45C6DF8BEEB_zpspltwpy6d.jpg

BAC207BF-06BA-48DC-A479-46E71A2DC238_zpsuw5goc0l.jpg

And removed some of the gunk from the bay too
851E4C19-8C77-40D8-A47F-3335B05E5EDB_zpsskwe2mb6.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
82575C5C-192E-446E-9711-D49162EFE6A1_zpskrrgs4em.jpg

Can't lock the engine up as it seems mine is slightly out

F0C30543-41EE-4AAB-94DE-32EE81849BD9_zpszdjqls8i.jpg

So can't get the crank pulley off. Any other way?

After this fail I needed some inspiration
CFCF67BD-B3E7-40F6-A8AF-582253F786E1_zpsrgilbx6q.jpg
Battery impact gun for the bottom pulley bolt, but it needs to be a good 'un.

Alternatively you could put a few old flywheel bolts in the end of the crank, slide a lever bar in between them, then get someone else to loosen the crank pulley bolt.

I'll be honest though, I normally loosen them off with just the crank pin in place.

It's the exhaust cam nut that you need ALL the locking tools in place for as they are a proper tight c**t.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Battery impact gun for the bottom pulley bolt, but it needs to be a good 'un.

Alternatively you could put a few old flywheel bolts in the end of the crank, slide a lever bar in between them, then get someone else to loosen the crank pulley bolt.

I'll be honest though, I normally loosen them off with just the crank pin in place.

It's the exhaust cam nut that you need ALL the locking tools in place for as they are a proper tight c**t.

I've got a decent gun no so that's no probs.

So will I not lose the timing undoing the crank bolt then? Thought I would?!

How do I know I've got the crank pin in correctly? Sorry I'm used to vag engines.

172 Turbo
Such a shame to see an RS2 on this... I'd look to sell it... *whistles*

Guess it's the same as the other engines I've worked on and you can wizz the bottom pulley off but don't quote me!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@Chambers_RS have you got all the locking tools as well? You'll need them to loosen off the pulleys.

I've done a few where they don't lose the timing from gunning the bottom pulley bolt off. The locking pin location is easy to get wrong, but you'll know when it's in the right place. If you can still turn the crank a small amount forwards/backwards and the locking pin starts to push out, it's in the crank bob weight drilling.
You get a satisfying clunk when it goes in the correct position.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
@Chambers_RS have you got all the locking tools as well? You'll need them to loosen off the pulleys.

I've done a few where they don't lose the timing from gunning the bottom pulley bolt off. The locking pin location is easy to get wrong, but you'll know when it's in the right place. If you can still turn the crank a small amount forwards/backwards and the locking pin starts to push out, it's in the crank bob weight drilling.
You get a satisfying clunk when it goes in the correct position.

I've just got the cam locking tool and crank pin tbh.

Was hoping I could just lock it with either the crank pin or cam locking tool and gun it off lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Your going to need all the tools mate to do the job properly. Once the timing is correct, you have to lock the cam pulleys and tighten everything up to the correct torque. Once you've done that, you need to turn the engine over again and recheck/adjust if it's still out.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Typical. Lol all that for a crank pulley lol

So need the tools. I'd like a set of grpN's like yours if I have to buy some tho lol. They available from anywhere?

172 Turbo
Sometimes life is more important than cars, I went 4 years whilst we had babies without one.

I'd be very interested in the RS2 if it ended up being broken which would be a shame as you've put some cracking mods on it.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well insurance and tax are due on both me cars and a house has come up that I like, house a garage and is decently priced so need a bit of extra cash quick. Desperately trying to work somert out.
Ah right ok. Well it would be a shame to see the cup get broken mate, but needs must I suppose! Shame you can't just shelve it and put it on the back burner.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Would be such a shame to break your cup chap, don't do it...it's too nice!
How ever if you do....could I have first dibs on your front and rear bumper please? And your driveshafts and gearbox....😅

I feel your pain there, all be it slightly scaled down I had to sell my 182 due to being in between jobs for a while!

Hope you find an alternative for sure. BUT I'm sure you'll have no problem breaking it for parts and getting that income quick haha. (Cage and roll centre for me please, sorry like vultures)

A-Class AMG-Sport
Sorry to hear you might have to get rid. It's a whole lot of effort you've put in. Really enjoyed your thread.

Just looked through the whole lot looking for an explanation of what you've done to the passenger headlight. Guessing it's for more air but there's no close ups or explanation of how you've done it that I could see.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Sorry to hear you might have to get rid. It's a whole lot of effort you've put in. Really enjoyed your thread.

Just looked through the whole lot looking for an explanation of what you've done to the passenger headlight. Guessing it's for more air but there's no close ups or explanation of how you've done it that I could see.

Thanks.

The light was a prank that my mate played.

I gave him my hole saws and drill to borrow, when he returned them I was out and told him the garage was open and to put them under the Clio.
I got back home to find massive holes in my headlight lol

172 sport
What a shame it was going so well, but houses and family come first. You have done a cracking job so far.
I see the vultures are already after parts haha.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Well it's more than likely staying but motorvation is low to get anything done.

Only thing I've done is take the engine for a new belt, dephaser and timing altered.

Took the engine in the boot of my Leon lol
7CA427C0-B426-42A8-8902-2B23BB64D60E_zps1ajxat9o.jpg

B4641A1A-6F73-45C3-B680-D57E0F4C1F97_zpsgm0zwzsr.jpg

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
You need a Trackday or hill climb day to give you abit of motivation @Chambers_RS
Exactly the same as me mine needed a new gearbox new PAS pump new front pads and discs all I saw was money signs and my time and effort with it getting colder.
Booked a Trackday for end of November because it was cheap at Oulton (£99) then started on the car in my drive way....
Just need to finish off the pads then sorted all in the space of about 3 weekends.
Still toying with the idea of Poly Windows I have found a supplier of the 5 piece kit for £350 just waying up if that is a good price.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
You need a Trackday or hill climb day to give you abit of motivation @Chambers_RS
Exactly the same as me mine needed a new gearbox new PAS pump new front pads and discs all I saw was money signs and my time and effort with it getting colder.
Booked a Trackday for end of November because it was cheap at Oulton (£99) then started on the car in my drive way....
Just need to finish off the pads then sorted all in the space of about 3 weekends.
Still toying with the idea of Poly Windows I have found a supplier of the 5 piece kit for £350 just waying up if that is a good price.
Yeah that's not a bad price at all! as you said 5 I'm guessing you mean rear window aswelll?

and glad to hear it's staying mate! I should have my hydro and bias valve plumbed into the new shell end of next week so will keep you updated with pictures.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Yeah that's not a bad price at all! as you said 5 I'm guessing you mean rear window aswelll?
Yeah rear window included, this is with 1 slider on the drivers side.
5mm thick for racing regs too.
Have you ever fitted any yourself....? If so how do you hold you front ones in are they just bonded in around the seal?
Thanks

Yeah rear window included, this is with 1 slider on the drivers side.
5mm thick for racing regs too.
Have you ever fitted any yourself....? If so how do you hold you front ones in are they just bonded in around the seal?
Thanks
Yeah fair enough, I wanted slider on both but that's just personal preference.

Yep, bonded around the seal, or rivet underneath the seal, then put the seal over the top of the rivet etc etc.