ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K4M Project Blog

Mondeo TDCI 130
Good man!!! I was worried the VTS had broke down!! lol!!! You WILL get there next week! I am going to be on the phone tomorrow morning to try and source bits!!!

Gem

Racing Blue 182
These last minute disasters always make things more exciting as you get close to completing. Lol!

Plus it makes driving the finished product round so much more satisfying knowing plenty of blood, sweat and tears has gone into it. Nice one :D

Sounds like you had fun anyway dude...PM top-secret progress pics though yeah? ;)

M

mini-valver

Good man!!! I was worried the VTS had broke down!! lol!!! You WILL get there next week! I am going to be on the phone tomorrow morning to try and source bits!!!

No chance! It's a machine!! 450 miles in 2 days, £50 of fuel, ding dang do!

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Well done Dave mate! :star:

Fingers crossed the KEVs don't have to do a similar job when mine gets thrown back together on Monday... ;)

Good luck over the next day or two matey!! :cool:

M

mini-valver

Cheers fella, good to see you the other day too!

While I'm here, might aswell bung a couple of pics of the battery tray and oil cooler I fitted.

Plumbed in and fixed to the cross member.
DSC00107.jpg

I've bolted it over the tar in the boot for now but when I have the car back and some time I'm going to get all the tar out of the car. It looks like its on the piss in the phot but it's just a dodgy shot.
DSC00108.jpg

Evo 6, E92 320d
Have you got any pics of the car all cleaned and such, i don't think ive seen any!

EDIT: Before all the work was started i mean.

Last edited:
M

mini-valver

Not on this laptop, lol. It looks a state at the minute too and probably will do at FCS until I get tome to have things painted etc.

Have you got any pics of the car all cleaned and such, i don't think ive seen any!

EDIT: Before all the work was started i mean.

maybe? lol

M

mini-valver

Aye, just abit. We'd of had more done if it wasn't for waiting for bastarding parts all the time! I'll be back for good soon, not long now! X

You have to look at it in another light, if the valves didnt bend and we didn't take the pistons out, that radially bent ring would of caused some serious problems come mapping.

Retrospectively, its probably good luck.

M

mini-valver

Indeed dude! Like we said earlier, in the most retarded way, the Karma gods have done good.....

was a good spot on your half though, you done us proud noticing that!

Elbows might be useless, but eyes are spot on......

I'll say i didnt spot it first because you were holding the piston first.

M

mini-valver

Lol! I might have found my role in society afterall..... :cool:

ValverInBits
Well done for sticking with this mate. You've picked an interesting project and that shouldnt be forgotten.
Should be a giggle :)

M

mini-valver

Cheers fella, finally someone that gets it! The idea was to be different and have something that can be built upon. I've been pissed about it at times but this weeks been a real eye opener. HAve a real respect for anyone that works with fabrication and engines after this....

Gem

Racing Blue 182
For all the time it's taken, Ben knows his stuff and it should be well worth the wait at a guess.

And its a top thing that Ben's given such a hands on approach to seeing the project come to its finish :)

Mondeo TDCI 130
You have to look at it in another light, if the valves didnt bend and we didn't take the pistons out, that radially bent ring would of caused some serious problems come mapping.

Retrospectively, its probably good luck.

I said that aswell Ben, If the hiccup had never happened, you would never have spooted it, and it would have caused major problems in the future!

Lol! I might have found my role in society afterall..... :cool:

^ A professional perv?:quiet:

Liking the pics!!

M

mini-valver

I learnt form the best, Steve ;)

Cheers for sorting the piston rings! I owe you a massive favour!

M

mini-valver

Back in the game ;)

Covers are being painted later too so it'll be extra pimp....

Your Heads done now, done 2 this morning.

Your new valves had a lip on the back so i had to backcut by 35 deg to remove it, then reface the seat (even new valves arent that nicely done) and dropped 0.2mm. The valve tip was then shortened by 20 thou to keep the tip height the same with the valve face and the valve seat being dropped 20 thou in total. That gives us our total 2mm extra clearance for the valve/piston.

So we can get it back together by monday eve hopefully.

M

mini-valver

Quality. After looking at the head pre-skim photos again, there really wasn't any room so it's a good job you decided to machine the pistons and cut the valves in further, discovered the knackered ring to. Blessing in disguise.

Will be a long day monday but it'll be worth it!

M

mini-valver

Gave the cam cover and engine mount a good degrease earlier, masked up the breather area and raided my bolt tub for some that were the same size as the ones used on the car so the torque figures wouldn't be affected by the paint. Took ages to mask and cut out for the breather area!!

DSC00110.jpg

Then gave them some good thick coats of crackle black. These were taken just after I'd sprayed them so will take some more in the morning when the paint has had time to dry and wrinkle up!!

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

I dont think ive ever seen pics of what the outside of your car looks like and I only understand about 1/3 of this engine talk! lol..

M

mini-valver

Lol! Its such a shitter ATM, needs PCing and some bodywork doing but that'll come after FCS when I have some pennies! Need to sell the VTS but its so much fun!

LY 182
excuse the stupid question, but that crackle effect paint,, is it an actual type of paint, or just the way in which you apply normal paint?

M

mini-valver

Its a VHT temp paint mate, I'll get a picture of the tin. You apply it in thick coats, leaving 5-10 mins between them. I gave it a s**t load of paint because the cover itself had bits of oxidation I couldnt get fully off as its awkward to sand so built the paint up to make it smooth before it drys wrinkly.

Gem

Racing Blue 182
Oxidation is just a posh word for rust :p

(Ignore the fact I bollock my students if they call it rust....)

I need to see this damn car finished now! So excited...Ben's deliberately orchestrated this build up I reckon! ;)

LY 182
Oxidation is just a posh word for rust :p

(Ignore the fact I bollock my students if they call it rust....)

I need to see this damn car finished now! So excited...Ben's deliberately orchestrated this build up I reckon! ;)
you just bollock your students as thats what teachers do for stress releif :rasp:

and im sure its not known as rust on alluminium :clown: lol

Gem

Racing Blue 182
No you are indeed correct...as technically aluminium doesnt rust...the surface just oxidizes leaving a protective shell, hence the dull colour :D

And I dont bollock them for stress releif...I'm the most laid back teacher in the world FACT.

Sorry Dave, I'm a spammer not a r****d. So shoot me. :p

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
I'm upset that I won't see it tomorrow, but I'm excited at the prospect of having you point out & explain all this technical babbe you've been chucking at me for weeks.
Hurry up :(