ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K4M Project Blog

Clio 1.6L 16V
Hey dude are you running with 240 psi of compression??, what cams do you have??, I suppose that you have high compression pistons. I have a 1.6 modified too, cheers.

Gem

Racing Blue 182
I'm not. I simply don't understand most of this new-fandangled technobabble :p

Although i do know what psi is lol....;)

M

mini-valver

Hey dude are you running with 240 psi of compression??, what cams do you have??, I suppose that you have high compression pistons. I have a 1.6 modified too, cheers.

It'll be slightly less across all 4 now mate as we've had to machine valve pockets in the pistons and cut the valves back into the head furthe ro give clearance after some issues, lol! I'm running standard pistons, 10 thou off the head and Catcams 704's with VEMS engine management and wideband control.

Whats the spec on yours? Interesting to hear others results of tuning the K4M!

It'll be slightly less across all 4 now mate as we've had to machine valve pockets in the pistons and cut the valves back into the head furthe ro give clearance after some issues, lol! I'm running standard pistons, 10 thou off the head and Catcams 704's with VEMS engine management and wideband control.

Hope the valve pockets have been radiused properly and its not been left too thin anywhere

M

mini-valver

They were chatting about valve angles, radius' and distance between valves etc so I guess so. The edge of the piston is preety thick and there sonly been >1mm taken off so should be fine...

it was making 240 with tweeked valves, so it should still be in a similar region, plus cams that aren't 'that' wild give higher cranking pressures than ones with wilder profiles.

Hope the valve pockets have been radiused properly and its not been left too thin anywhere

Dont have to worry about that, radial clearance is sufficient even with a generous corner radius on the cutter and the sharp edges left on the side of the piston were removed.

Clio 1.6L 16V

Dude you are running with standar pistons and you have 240 psi of compression??. I supposed that you skimmed the head of the engine didn't you??.

My 1.6 has no cat, a cold air intake of K&N, I skimmed the head of the engine, I have the throtlle body of the laguna engine 2.0 16V, and a fuel management so I'm running full throtlle with an air fuel ratio of 13.5:1.

M

mini-valver

Had another interesting day on the car, lol.

Went to pick these little buggers up this morning (BIG BIG thanks to Steve and Andy at Birchdown for sorting these!!)

DSC00116.jpg

Got them in and starter to bolt the head back on, cams went in and put the covers on which I painted in wrinkle paint. I put a bit too much on TBH as I had no idea what sort of finish I was gonna get! Looks odd in photos but when they're on the car they look sweet!

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

Then, another disaster! We were convinced the bent valves were because of clearance issues but after the engine was built, we put the timing tools on and whipped the belt off the crank pulley tp check it before we went ahead. There was a chunk of metal in it that must have been wedged in the covers somewhere along the line, this has chucked the belt forward or back a tooth causimg the bent valves. So at 6pm, we couldn't do much more! Ben's getting a belt in the morning and hopefully it'll be ready for mapping wednesday.

While he was doing bits under the bonnet I thought I'd fit my braided lines....
DSC00117.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

Easy to fit, just need to bleed them up now!

Pics of the fitted dampers and FK springs too... The car sat up at the back before, will sort the fornt set-up when I have some more money! The car is on a ramp here and the platform is wound up high to keep the spring in place, it'll be lowered to suit the front height once it's on the ground.
DSC00120.jpg

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Good work Dave!! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Odd pic of your engine though, looks like it's been in a mild fire! :eek:

(i touched wood after i typed that, as fire is about the only setback you haven't had over the last few days!)

Mondeo TDCI 130
Yes sir, top work! Although i hope you mopped the floor afterwards!!!;) As it was like an operating theatre when i was in there!

M

mini-valver

Good work Dave!! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Odd pic of your engine though, looks like it's been in a mild fire! :eek:

(i touched wood after i typed that, as fire is about the only setback you haven't had over the last few days!)

It's wrinkle paint! It looks like a big fingerprint, the pictures are crap, lol!

Yes sir, top work! Although i hope you mopped the floor afterwards!!!;) As it was like an operating theatre when i was in there!

I did yeah! Cleaned it with brake cleaner too. I'm such a housewife....

M

mini-valver

Yep! It just means I can run bigger cams though if I wanted ;)
The best way of looking at it is-If It hadn't of happened, we wouldnt have took the head back off. If we'd of found the metal straight away, we wouldn't have taken the pistons out and found the bent ring. It'll be reliable now hopefully once it's back together so I'm glad it's happened TBF.

Also, the engine is SO easy to work on now I've watched and took it to bits. Home mechanic FTW.

Yep! It just means I can run bigger cams though if I wanted ;)
The best way of looking at it is-If It hadn't of happened, we wouldnt have took the head back off. If we'd of found the metal straight away, we wouldn't have taken the pistons out and found the bent ring. It'll be reliable now hopefully once it's back together so I'm glad it's happened TBF.

Also, the engine is SO easy to work on now I've watched and took it to bits. Home mechanic FTW.

big mutha fucka cams FTW

M

mini-valver

Lol! I'll see what state it's in ;)

Saying that though....Beer. I'm in. ;)