ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kangoo 172 cup

225 powered mk2
Good to meet you mate ? Had a good day at Trax, got offered a few track slots but didnt want to tempt fate and bust something with Croft coming up. Didnt get chance to see your ph1 as ran out of time, do you have a project thread on here ?

I’ve got a project thread on here but I haven’t updated it in years, quite embrassing as it started as a mess and it had all airbrushing under the bonnet, I will update it as it looks different now, however on the way back from trax mine started breathing really heavy and smoking a lot so now it’s time to investigate.

After our chat at trax I think I’m gonna go 6 speed box.

Keep your updates coming such a great Van!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Up in the air yesterday & stripped

20181028_132107.jpg

20181028_132118.jpg

That will be the issue then broken spacer
20181028_132134.jpg

Got my battery drill out and no chance of fitting it in the gap available. Have borrowed a small drill will revisit later on in the week weather permitting.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Drilled & tapped the diff in situ for the renfort plate today. Not too bad a job with the small sealey drill i borrowed, new drill bit went through it like a knife going through butter. Had rags stuffed in the box to keep the swarf from falling in and will flush oil through. Will fit plate tomorrow & put it back together and see whats what, fingers crossed box is ok.
20181029_151428.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Job done and running again. Only done a short run in it to the gym the other night but it seemed ok. Will take it for a decent flog out soon and see how it holds together ! Needs a clean badly front wheels are black with brake dust after Croft.
20181102_192845.jpg

In other news i give my omp helmet a makeover with some of the circuits i have driven over the years.
20181102_162045.jpg

20181102_162035.jpg

20181102_162028.jpg

20181102_162017.jpg

Also got my new work van on Friday. 12miles on the clock never drove anything with so low mileage. Limited to 62mph sadly lol swb with dab radio, a/c etc not a bad little van from initial drive.
20181101_161125.jpg

Thanks for reading !

Probably the best way to test the car on the way to gym, that way if it packs up pushing it back can be part of the workout, though I probably would still get a tow if I was 2 doors down lol

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Took it out Sunday and give it a fair bit of abuse and seems ok. Guess we are ready for another trackday if weather stays mild !

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Got a couple of jobs done last Sat

First up was vvt sensor seal, noticed this leaking before Croft. 15 min job dead easy, changed map sensor o rings as had gone very flat/loose
20181117_120947.jpg
20181117_120950.jpg

Next up was gear oil, drained into a container then filtered to see if any contamination/swarf after fitting the renfort. Looked good so filled up with Elf NFJ 75/80
20181117_133427.jpg

Changed drivers side front bump stop/shock cover. I noticed this was knackered after Croft, i think this was damaged after riding the rh kerb at the ump at Blyton at the csfestival. The occasional rub on full compression has now gone.

20181117_154647.jpg

Lastly give it a blast up to Croft as there was another trackday on. All spaces taken so sadly did not get on. Typically ive cured all the minor issues and now winter is here so prob no track action until next year.

Still love the look on white 2118s when clean
20181118_123942.jpg
20181118_123948.jpg

Also picked up the track wheels for the 225 in it the other day..comes in handy as a van occasionally?
20181118_163232.jpg

Thanks for reading !

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Got a couple of jobs done last Sat

First up was vvt sensor seal, noticed this leaking before Croft. 15 min job dead easy, changed map sensor o rings as had gone very flat/loose
View attachment 1396010View attachment 1396008

Next up was gear oil, drained into a container then filtered to see if any contamination/swarf after fitting the renfort. Looked good so filled up with Elf NFJ 75/80View attachment 1396005

Changed drivers side front bump stop/shock cover. I noticed this was knackered after Croft, i think this was damaged after riding the rh kerb at the ump at Blyton at the csfestival. The occasional rub on full compression has now gone.

View attachment 1396006

Lastly give it a blast up to Croft as there was another trackday on. All spaces taken so sadly did not get on. Typically ive cured all the minor issues and now winter is here so prob no track action until next year.

Still love the look on white 2118s when clean View attachment 1396011View attachment 1396009

Also picked up the track wheels for the 225 in it the other day..comes in handy as a van occasionally?View attachment 1396004

Thanks for reading !
What o ring sizes did you use on the map sensor mate?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
What o ring sizes did you use on the map sensor mate?

Good question mate, i just went through until one fitted tight out of a selection from an o ring kit i have. It was a bit loose on map sensor initially but nipped up tight when map sensor is fitted. s**t design ot be fair, i see some aftermarked map sensors have a rubber sleeve on instead of the 2 o rings. The inner o ring does nothing either just pops through

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Good question mate, i just went through until one fitted tight out of a selection from an o ring kit i have. It was a bit loose on map sensor initially but nipped up tight when map sensor is fitted. s**t design ot be fair, i see some aftermarked map sensors have a rubber sleeve on instead of the 2 o rings. The inner o ring does nothing either just pops through
Such a s**t design! Both my o rings look fine now after swapping from another map sensor but it's still loose. Might see if I can 3d print a bracket similar to on the 197/200.

Or I'll wrap it in PTFE ?
Vans looking ace mate, 2118s are the best

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Update

Had a slight misfire recently which developed into a full on 3 cylinder offbeat running issue ! Quick scan with clip & checked resistance of injectors indicated cylinder 4 injector had indeed went open circuit. A few faults logged?
20181203_211242.jpg
20181203_211252.jpg

@Austin-182 kindly give me his old injectors so stuck one in to get me away. 15mins to fit dead easy, fired up and back on 4 cylinders but idle was hunting all over the shop. Checked for air leaks (none) so let engine warm up and eventually settled down.

Got clip back on and reinitialized the computer resetting throttle potetiometer settings, resetting the idle opening cyclic ratio and resetting the adaptive fuel correction to 128. Done the road test passing through pressure zones as instructed in the workshop manual for several miles. After that i noted the engine was running excellent, nice stable idle, sharp throttle response again.

The following day put £40 of Tesco momentum 99 in for a trip to Derby to pick up some wheels the mrs has bought for her megane.
20181209_154044.jpg

Performed faultlessly 40.8mpg with mixed driving approx 250 mile round trip, national speed limits due to smart cameras on a1m so just sitting on the speed limit.
20181209_130513.jpg

On return home still had 73 miles on range. Eml had come on due to decat - downstream lambda out of range.
20181209_154140.jpg
18x8 technomagnesio 201b in the back
20181209_154102.jpg

Had a bit of running about to do so its earned its keep this week. Dropped off the 18" turinis off the megane for refurb and new PS4 to be fitted.
20181211_092816.jpg

Picked up an r26 beam and other meg bits including bottom end.
20181211_113641.jpg
20181211_123843.jpg

Back quite low with gear in
20181211_113629.jpg

Last edited:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
After 400 or so miles was looking quite weathered with road muck.

Snowfoamed & cleaned with Autofinesse products & 2 bucket wash. Too cold to apply any additional qd to finish but clean again.
20181211_135123.jpg
20181211_143741.jpg

Rear swept out
20181211_132941.jpg

38.2 mpg avearge mixed driving over approx 400miles. Awesome for 2.0
20181211_151802.jpg
Clip back out for scan & cleared.
20181211_152033.jpg
Currently have a 90deg lambda spacer on downstream, might remove lambda and bung the downstream sensor to stop it coming on, as been on a few times recently. Need to check out the df002 as keeps appearing, i guess its wiring issues or tb/pedal on its way. Not had any issues with throttle though but cant be arsed with another breakdown !

Thanks for reading?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
After 400 or so miles was looking quite weathered with road muck.

Snowfoamed & cleaned with Autofinesse products & 2 bucket wash. Too cold to apply any additional qd to finish but clean again.View attachment 1398041View attachment 1398042
Rear swept outView attachment 1398043
38.2 mpg avearge mixed driving over approx 400miles. Awesome for 2.0View attachment 1398044Clip back out for scan & cleared. View attachment 1398045 Currently have a 90deg lambda spacer on downstream, might remove lambda and bung the downstream sensor to stop it coming on, as been on a few times recently. Need to check out the df002 as keeps appearing, i guess its wiring issues or tb/pedal on its way. Not had any issues with throttle though but cant be arsed with another breakdown !

Thanks for reading?
Do you use a genuine Clip?
Seems everyone is having hunting/misfire problems recently!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Do you use a genuine Clip?
Seems everyone is having hunting/misfire problems recently!

Mine is a full chip clone clip. Works great not had any issues. Idle was all over the place on initial startup but no air leaks or nothing. It eventually settled to a degree, but after reinitializing the settings its been spot on. After any work on the fuel system or throttle its worth resetting it and getting it to learn, makes throttle response sharper etc.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Mine is a full chip clone clip. Works great not had any issues. Idle was all over the place on initial startup but no air leaks or nothing. It eventually settled to a degree, but after reinitializing the settings its been spot on. After any work on the fuel system or throttle its worth resetting it and getting it to learn, makes throttle response sharper etc.
Do you have a link?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
No Kangoo updates however have been working on my Extra van, a few of you may remember it from when ive had it on track at the CS festivals a couple of years back.

To cut a long story short the engine was getting a little bit tired a couple of years ago so took it off the road. Started converting to efi from carb a year or so ago and did not get very far/had other cars that seem to need constant repairs so not touched it in ages. This is my first play about with standalone ecu & diy efi.

Last week done fuel hoses and attempted start up which did not go too well, attempted fire up but battery shot & spark plug change was needed to resistor type plugs

Fast forward to yesterday & Boxing day attempt at fire up.

Armed myself with new Ngk BCR8ES plugs, new Exide 063 battery & 20ltrs of Tesco's finest 99 octane. Loaded a good base map on, turned key & fired up first turn to a steady idle. Needs some fine tuning but nice to hear it run after all this time.

Vid below, select 480p as youtube is selecting very low qualiy for some reason.

Next step is to pull the engine out and get new lump built, bit of recomissioning and hopefully back on the road April/May in the new year if all goes well.

Thanks for reading !

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
A bit of fault finding today, found a loose connection on the earth wire for the crank sensor, fixed that and fitted a new genuine ford zetec sensor. I had a feeling it was ign related the other day, it revs great now although a little bit lean. Not messing about with map yet, will change fuel pump and revisit. Its drivable now though.

Altered transient throttle to use map prediction as per @DaveL485 's advice which made it rev cleaner also added a little bit of fuel across the range with the master trim. Just playing about cant really hurt the current engine much as its pretty knackered, needs to run right for the fresh engine though.
20181229_141746.jpg
20181229_141734.jpg

Wiring 90% done, just need to connect afr controller to ecu (need to find my 2.5mm jack lead as using the w/b output on my gauge) and wire up mac valve.

Ecu stealth mounted in fusebox cover
20181229_152723.jpg
20181229_152800.jpg
20181229_155540.jpg

Stuck bonnet back on and give it a blast off with the lance, snowfoam and pressure rinse. Ran out of light so stopped at that, its come up clean for its first wash in ages with no contact.
20181229_151317.jpg
20181229_152533.jpg

A couple of vids

Startup, it fires up first time every time now got to love efi. Im used to this needing a s**t load of cranking on carb to fire up.

Select 480p or higher as youtube is poo now and downgrades quality massively

Revs clean. A bit lean when on and off the throttle will revisit with new fuel pump. Map may need adjusting but will hang fire for now.

More to come in the next few weeks ! Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 20181228_184718.jpg
    20181228_184718.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 397

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
1 question. Did you buy circlip fix from gt performance? Does that thing go on existing oem circlip or without it?

I did indeed buy the renfort from gt performance via ebay. The circlip does not fit with the plate on, you need the spacer ring though.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Small update on the Extra - wired in the lc-1 to the ecu on Sunday and refitted the dash cowlings. Give the interior a decent clean, first time in years, still in decent nick.

20190106_141940.jpg
20190106_143035.jpg

20190106_143126.jpg

Just waiting for my engine stand to be returned then i can get the new engine stripped. Might even make CS Festival yet !

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Small updates

Engine on engine stand and part stripped. Just waiting for payday as usual? got a few tasty parts in stock though ready for rebuild.
20190116_174946.jpg
Kangoo mot last week, went through no bother. Been using it for daily driver and going well, 35mpg all the time. Heater is absolutely scorching in this cold weather its epic.
20190112_093858.jpg

Still keep thinking about throttle bodies or turbo but must get the Extra done first ! Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Small updates

Engine on engine stand and part stripped. Just waiting for payday as usual? got a few tasty parts in stock though ready for rebuild.View attachment 1402593Kangoo mot last week, went through no bother. Been using it for daily driver going well, 35mpg all the time. Heater is absolutely scorching in this cold weather its epic. View attachment 1402594

Still keep thinking about throttle bodies or turbo but must get the Extra done first ! Thanks for reading
Awesome rabbits mate