ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangoo Compact (aka Racevan3)

TDLR - im an idiot and keep buying scrap Renaults and a new project is in stock:LOL:

A few months ago in my old job i had a 68reg Kangoo, got it with delivery mileage brand new. Noted pretty crap in diesel form, and handling average however i had heard that the underpinnings were very similar to meg/mk3 clio, and confirmed when having a look underneath briefly.

Said van
20181105_113311.jpg

Returned when i left the job, good riddance to tracker and 62mph speed limiter. Thought to myself that it would probably be sound, with more power and better handling.

At the time i still had my old Kangoo 172 (Racevan2), which was leagues ahead. Lacked a bit of straight line speed, and deep down im a turbo man missed the turbo torque so sold which stuck some money back in the pot.

With the drive looking less cluttered and bank balance up a few quid said no more projects until my Extra (Racevan1) is back on the road.

Had the idea of a Megane rs powered Kangoo2 for a while, and seen the compact version. The compact is the same length as Clio2. Compared to the usual ml version of the Kangoo2 its like a micro machine.

Press pic of the compact next to ml
RENAULT KANGOO COMPACT.jpg

Thinking this would be a great project to do once the Extra is done, sat on the idea. The compact is rare to find for sale, as from what i gather nobody bought them with the 4 foot load space in the rear making them pretty useless as a van.

Mrs was looking and seen one for sale on Facebook marketplace, needing a new engine and only down the road. Made the mistake of going for a look, looked pretty unloved but bodywork quite good, engine totally shot. Stuck a low bid in, scrap money and the fella was up for it.

Collected on the back of my mates truck this week
20191119_193217.jpg

Short arse
20191119_214251.jpg

Cleaned up and roof rack removed and pushed into position.
20191120_133349.jpg

Current engine bay half a dci lump with melted pistons on cyl 1 & 4 :LOL:

20191120_132320.jpg

Had a good look round and the subframe looks pretty identical to meg2 or clio3. Meg rs track control arms, hubs and brembos bolt on as one as already been done, so handling should be great. Mounts look identical to megane, so in theory a meg lump and ndo box should go in (pk box fits).

Wiring may or may not be tricky, however i have been thinking about this, and there is a few options, if all else fails standalone ecu and stack dash.

So will get the Extra done, and then start on this. Watch this space;)

Updates

Booked Kangoo in for map tweak at EfiParts last week. Was lucky and got a last min pm slot at short notice.

As it was running ok and was busy with other stuff did not get round to giving it a quick once over until the morning of the day when booked in.

A quick look round and i noticed that the alloy boost hose had been chattering on the top engine mount. Id planned on securing this for ages but not gotten round to it so decided to do it to prevent any future damage. Ten min job to whip engine mount off, drill and tap to secure a p clip.

Whipped engine mount off, drilled and tapped hole in ten mins.
20220811_094226.jpg

Refitted
20220816_095024.jpg

This is where the job went sour. The eagled eyed will notice the threads for the rear most bolt in the cam cover are a bit s**t from previous abuse. Torqued the bolt up and it went tightey then loosey pulling the remainder of the threads out, at this point i was thinking ffs why cant i leave anything alone :cautious:

Bad day tap and die kit out and luckily a longer bolt got the last 25mm of thread at the bottom, longer bolt and it torqued down solid. Got another cambelt cover to replace this one but another day job as i needed to set off asap or would be late and miss my spot!!

Arrive at Efi no issues, apart from sweating my bollox off due to no air con.

Lock and load.

20220811_154147.jpg

Goal was to get to the bottom of the ign pull issue. Ambient temps ridiculously high with 33deg logged in the dyno cell, but not a bad thing in some respects as i wanted it to be hot and push the engine so can get to the bottom of the issues.

AirInT 92.6 degF or 33 degC.
20220811_172830.jpg

Talking to Chris and we agreed due to the mega heat we werent expecting any 370+ figures today. Det cans hooked up and first run sees 360hp easy enough 22psi boost.

Ecu was pulling a degree of ign as getting the occasional ping of det at the top of the rpm which it did not do when first mapped.

Talking to Chris about it and nothing has changed apart from oil consumption since first map. The oil consumption has gone up to around 1ltr per thousand miles which is not totally unusual for forged but its getting up there for sure. Its mega piston slappy from cold, so assume a bit of oil is making its way into the cylinders and with the relatively high compression of this engine it was a recipe for premature detonation.

The engine is not a smoker yet but well on the worn side, and its not had an easy life in the early days as been in a megane thats had hard track use.

The decision was made to detune it as it needed more timing to keep the egt's lower and keep everything cooler. Boost pressure was dropped and fuel added and settled at a safe as houses 335hp/300ft/lb.

Great job from Chris as usual, hes a wizard with these. He showed me what your up against when tuning the S3000 megane ecu and to put it bluntly its a f**king nightmare due to the torque strategies compared to a nice standalone or modern ecu.

20220812_083834.jpg

Ultimately the engine needs a refresh, new rings and most likely rebore due to wear. Will do the maths and work out static/dynamic compression ratio as is with the 172 cams, then go from there regarding piston choice.

Certainly cant moan as the short engine owes me £380 and its done an estimated 40'000 miles since its had the forged pistons and rods fitted. Should be able to salvage most of it if all goes well, as oil pressure is still superb.

Its bought me a bit more time though so i can enjoy it for the rest of the summer and get it done over winter.

Said to Chris is it time to step up and fit a large garrett turbo on the next build, and he said save my money as cant really get the power down as is. Both agreed a new standalone ecu is a better option for traction control and boost by gear, so might use EcuMaster Black on the next build and add a few trick bits onto it, working vvt etc.

Services shot on the way home.
20220811_230852.jpg
Got back mega late around 1am. Ambient temps were down to 20degrees so stretched its legs a bit, still feels really quick and still severely traction limited in 1st/2nd gear. Only noticeable differences are less torque if you plant the throttle in 6th and not as strong up top as it was but overall still strong power all the way through the rpm range.

The front arch liners allegedly pop out from the wing lip if you bury the speedo on a private road too so need to sort that :LOL:

Thanks for reading!!

When were you at EFI?

I could have popped over, i'm only 20 mins away.
Last Thursday mate, didnt realise you were so close. Ill be back over soon once ive sorted the trophy will give you a shout next time. Was so hot on Thursday, google maps took me past creamfields and ended up stuck in slow moving traffic. Oil temps 105deg in traffic due to heatsoak was crazy.
Just a thought, but it might be advantageous for you to run LSPI oil (if you aren't already).
Thats actually a new one to me i had to google it. Interesting read too with modern engines suffering from it from what i gather is lazy wide open throttle low down in rpm range using torque in higher gears, and recirculating oil from the oem breather dropping the octane rating of the fuel.

From looking the millers motorsport cfs does not have that in it so might give a suitable oil a shot next time. Im going to change the plugs to a colder 8 grade too as i currently run stock meg 7 grade plugs in this which is prob not ideal, a bit of a f**k up on my behalf.

Im going to do a leakdown on it this weekend and see how knackered it is for interest.

Last Thursday mate, didnt realise you were so close. Ill be back over soon once ive sorted the trophy will give you a shout next time. Was so hot on Thursday, google maps took me past creamfields and ended up stuck in slow moving traffic. Oil temps 105deg in traffic due to heatsoak was crazy.

Yeah i'm only in Warrington, it would have brought you in from the M56 through Daresbury i'm guessing?

I'll come over if i'm free next time you're there.

Great update there Jon, defo some food for thought to be had there regarding engine build! Looking forward to whats to come of this.

Updates

Kangoo started misfiring from cold last week. Its done it intermittently for a while but just a couple of pops, but had developed into a 5-10 sec misfire and rough idle.

Changed plugs for bcr8es last week and comp tested it, still 160psi per cylinder so all seemed ok. Plugs did not change anything and feared it was headgasket related.

No eml and no power issues or nothing so hooked up clip to scan. No codes stored so had to look deeper in the live data. Coolant and Iat looking OK when hot
20220820_210534.jpg
Recording lambda and coolant/iat from start
20220820_210834.jpg
20220820_211149.jpg

Bottom trace shows something a miss with the lambda sensor voltage, looks a bit lazy so on a whim i bought another genuine bosch sensor to replace the one i fitted last year/less than 5k ago when it had similar issues but not as bad.

Fired up and back to normal, no misfire and usual slightly rough idle off the 172 cams. I didnt even think lambda would be active on cold start assuming it was open loop but guess i was wrong.

Its had 2 lambda sensors fail last year, see how long this one lasts eh. Can only think the last one was possibly a snidey copy, looked right though !?

Thanks for reading!!

I was under the same impression as you about the lambda on cold start.

A mate had a similar issue and a new sorted it.

Weird really, it must still reference it even in open loop.

Its had 2 lambda sensors fail last year, see how long this one lasts eh. Can only think the last one was possibly a snidey copy, looked right though !?

What's the placement of the lambda like on the downpipe?

Where are you buying the lambda's from, sure they're genuine?

What's the placement of the lambda like on the downpipe?

Where are you buying the lambda's from, sure they're genuine?
Upstream lambda is in stock megane position just after turbo. Assume last one was genuine, but never say never as bought from ebay. The new one is from a reputable company, again looks to be genuine.

The good, the bad and the ugly

The good first.

Took the Kangoo to The Motorist in Leeds for Vanned show last sat. Also took my Extra van and joined by my old Kangoo 172 cup.

Meet up outside my mates house for convoy down.
20220827_091215.jpg

Random pull in off a19 to ahem water the plants. Random parking looked good so had to get a pic.
20220827_095841.jpg

Arrived at The Motorist and parked up. All 3x racevans together.
20220827_140152.jpg
20220827_135855.jpg
20220827_132734.jpg

My mates mrs took this pic on the way out of the motorist on the way back. Cool as f**k.
received_3355022144744035.jpeg

The usual fuel and piss stop on the way back
20220827_155259.jpg

A few random pics as its very rare they are all out at once, and probably wont happen again for a while
received_840354930664231.jpeg

Short and tall vs old and long. Evolution from tiny 13" wheels to 18"
20220827_163631.jpg

Had a f**king riot to be fair driving in convoy. Adaptronic hard cut limiter in full effect on the Extra.

Had Kangoo vs Extra on a private road. Shez in the Kangoo and me in the Extra.

Current stats - Kangoo 335hp/300ft/lb - 1320kg - approx 250hp per ton.

Extra van - boost 24psi currently so estimate around 230hp/220ft/lb - 920kg - approx 250hp per ton.

Mostly level peg but Kangoo gaps the Extra by a car length on gearchange. I guess that will be fast spooling turbo and 2.0 turbo torque.

Shez drops the bombshell that she only took it to 6k rpm and im using all of the avalable 7600rpm in the Extra. I guess thats gappuccino served :LOL: kangoo would have been off if still 378hp.

The bad

The bad news is that i noted a bit of white smoke on boost out of the exhaust when Shez was giving it some last Sat. Overall the engine is mostly running OK and going well, but still had 10 second misfire from cold and coolant use has not gone away.

It lured me into a false sense of security with a couple of days of clean starts after changing upstream lambda which was needed, but went back to misfiring from cold, and coolant going from max to min in 250 miles. So more investigation was absolutely needed.

The ugly

I had suspicions about misfiring from cold and using coolant with no visible leaks. From my gtt days this was almost certainly coolant in the cylinders when sitting.

I had noted cylinder 1 spark plug was cleaner than the rest which indicated something was going on in that cylinder when i changed them recently, so pulled that when engine was cold/sat overnight.

The indicated wet ring around the spark plug was not good, with the smell of coolant and brown mark on electrode.
20220829_103750.jpg

My borescope is about knackered but confirmed type d green coolant sitting in the piston dome.
Screenshot_20220829-105156_USB_CAMERA.jpg

Its a squirter with no plug in.

20220829_105729.jpg

On refitting the plug
20220829_110206.jpg

So the engine is pretty poorly. Consensus is the head is cracked between the valves/water jacket, which is an issue that has cropped up on a few meg 250s due to thin casting in the cylinder head.

With the oil useage ill have to get this engine pulled soon and rebuilt.

Typically i was planning to take it to the Nurburgring in 4 weeks.

Got my Compomotive mo6 1880 refurbed in anthracite ready for the trip but was not to be. Took them down to Advance Detail in Leeds to be ceramic coated with Gtechniq crystal serum ultra. I took Jon who owns Advance Detail out in it to show him what its about, and i believe that almost finished the poorly engine off, s**t happens i guess!!

Check out the R S stamp and 2002 date stamp on the inner face, and 2x valves on one wheel. From research i believe Icarus used them on the pre production 225 for testing which is super cool.

20220826_154557.jpg
20220826_154606.jpg
20220826_154612.jpg
20220826_154623.jpg
20220826_154645.jpg
20220826_154657.jpg
20220826_154706.jpg
20220826_154713.jpg
20220829_115459.jpg

They can now sit in wheel bags looking sexy until new engine is built.

Negative, im pissed that ive barely enjoyed it and wanted to do a trackday before weather turns to s**t.

Positive is that it all works, just needs engine rebuild and version 1.0 will be better.

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:
:( Gutted mate, no doubt it'll be back stronger than ever.

I've noticed a slight coolant loss on the 182 recently too. Last time it was a small hole in the rad, but it's been fine since that was done about a year ago :unsure:

Can't see any leaks anywhere, just need to have a look around the waterpump area.

Not noticed any white smoke or misfires, so i'm hoping it's not an engine issue.

:( Gutted mate, no doubt it'll be back stronger than ever.

I've noticed a slight coolant loss on the 182 recently too. Last time it was a small hole in the rad, but it's been fine since that was done about a year ago :unsure:

Can't see any leaks anywhere, just need to have a look around the waterpump area.

Not noticed any white smoke or misfires, so i'm hoping it's not an engine issue.
I dare say yours will be ok engine wise. Stick 1bar of pressure in the header tank that will find any external leaks. I was on the verge of pressuring this up but found it straight away when removing plug.

I dare say yours will be ok engine wise. Stick 1bar of pressure in the header tank that will find any external leaks. I was on the verge of pressuring this up but found it straight away when removing plug.

Any links to a kit that'll adapt to the header tank to pump it up?

Updates

Kangoo is now sorn due to poorly engine. Ive not really touched it since last post but have started gathering parts.

Have purchased a rebuilt megane bottom end. Spec is Wossner pistons stock c/r, pec conrods, new oem renault oil pump, gen renault main bearings, king big end bearings and new oem oil squirters. I wanted to use different pistons and rods, but this came up at the right price and built by a trusted company so will do for what i need.

Picked up in trusty clio van.
20220916_171856.jpg
20220916_212912.jpg
20220916_213733.jpg

I have also bought a 197 head. I wanted a 250 head but they are pretty much made of unobtanium or the ones ive found have been impossible to buy for some reason!

Anyway picked this 197 head up on the way back from Retro Rides in the Extra van. Its off a rebuilt turbo converted engine which had not been started up. Cam journals are mint and head is in very good condition.
20220919_122740.jpg

20220919_122908.jpg

Also got a set of arp head studs with it that were fitted to the engine. Dont think ill be needing them at the power i require but will use them most likely.
20220919_122743.jpg

Ive got a set of inconel supertech valves and cat cams valve springs coming to suit. Itll be engine building time soon after doing the vital checks.

Thanks for reading!!

@Brigsy Is the Meg head and 197 head the same then?
Ive been told its very similar from a good source. There is slight visual differences, meg250 coilpack securing bolt on number 1 cylinder faces towards flywheel so it can be unbolted easily with boost hose fitted, whereas 197 number 1 coilpack securing bolt faces towards cambelt same as 225. Valve stems are larger on meg250, whereas 197 valve stems are same as 182/meg225. Meg 250 oil filler is central, 197 is on the cambelt end.

Ive not measured squish area cc yet but i believe they are very similar in that respect, also similar good flowing inlet and exhaust ports. Will need to do a bit of reckoning up to see what headgasket thickness is best for this one to get the right compression ratio.

Updates

Motivation has been low with this but need to get the ball rolling, engine building season is here now the weather is turning bad.

Started by removing the technomagnesio with the semislicks on as its going to be sat doing nothing for a while. Give them a mega clean up inside and out and back in the wheel bags.
20221008_173017.jpg
20221008_173027.jpg
20221008_173113.jpg

Couldnt resist trying the freshly refurbed comps on for a look. Anthracite defo works.
20221008_150531.jpg
20221008_150552.jpg

Its now sat on some old ph1 225 wheels with crap tyres, no pics as looks awful. Have applied more xcf50 to the Ast coilovers for winter protection.

Also got a great deal on a new set of 4x 225/40/18 Michelin pilotsport cup2 so have them in stock for when its back on the road next year. Will get another set of comps refurbished for these and will use as road tyres.
20221009_132931.jpg
20221009_133113.jpg

Ive started doing a bit to the new cylinder head and will hopefully get it down the machine shop this week if all goes well.

Thanks for reading!!

Small update

Bottom end buttoned up, oil pump cover, oil splash plate and sump refitted. Sump had a mega clean.
20221012_150933.jpg
20221012_150919.jpg
20221012_151213.jpg
20221012_153533.jpg

Block had a quick clean up and repaint.
20221023_180741.jpg
20221023_180750.jpg

Ive painfully removed the flaking powdercoat off the 197 cam cover. I sprayed gasket remover all over it to soften it up and a combo of acetone to get the stubborn bits off. Took hours of pain but now its ready for aquablasting.

20221023_203149.jpg

Head is in the machine shop to get the supertech valves fitted, guides checked and catcams springs in. Just been doing the maths and its a toss up of 1.75mm thick head gasket giving around 8.3:1 comp or 1.9mm giving around 8.0:1, need to make a decision on that.

Interestingly the old engine had an 0.65mm clio head gasket on so static comp was a bit on the high side from memory around 9.0.1, that will explain why it was knock limited and would not take much timing up top.

Thanks for reading.

Just caught up on this. Shitter with the misfires.
I had the same on an M3. But luckily 'just' the head gasket.

New build looks strong.

Just caught up on this. Shitter with the misfires.
I had the same on an M3. But luckily 'just' the head gasket.

New build looks strong.
Cheers mate, i hope its plain sailing after this engine build and i can get it used a bit.

I can remember reading about the e46 m3's head gaskets going gradually causing a right mess if left.

Forgot to add pics of the fully cleaned up cam cover. The aquablaster wanted all the powdercoat off, i reckon ive spent 8 hours of pain doing it. Best look nice!
20221026_161354.jpg
20221026_161338.jpg

Modified breather hole in 250 breather plate. Drilled out to 10mm, didnt measure before but it was around 6-7mm iirc.
20221026_161416.jpg

Probably splitting hairs for the power you'll be looking to run.

I'd go with the 1.75mm gasket. 8.3:1 sounds plenty low enough.

Cover and sump look good.

Probably splitting hairs for the power you'll be looking to run.

I'd go with the 1.75mm gasket. 8.3:1 sounds plenty low enough.

Cover and sump look good.
Cheers mate.

Ive been thinking the same regarding comp, i think 8.3:1 will be low enough to get a decent amount of boost/ign in and help with knock resistance on pump fuel. Might cap it at 350hp for reliability this time. Will see.

I think it will be safe at 8.3:1 without being mega flat off boost. Scoff did say to me to consider dynamic comp ratio with the 172 cams, thats one thing ive never looked at though, so would need to do some reading up about that.

I think it will be safe at 8.3:1 without being mega flat off boost. Scoff did say to me to consider dynamic comp ratio with the 172 cams, thats one thing ive never looked at though, so would need to do some reading up about that.

I've no idea how to calculate that, but the 172 cams will be a 'bigger' cam won't they compared to the Meg ones.

This will lower the dynamic ratio i think.

Upstream lambda is in stock megane position just after turbo. Assume last one was genuine, but never say never as bought from ebay. The new one is from a reputable company, again looks to be genuine.
@Brigsy do you have the part number of the Bosch sensor you used?

Updates.

Well basically f**k all to update. Cyl head is still in the machine shop for supertech valve fitting, 6 weeks and counting. Hopefully get that back next week.

In the mean time ive sourced all the other parts for the build. Parts for the f4r seem to be harder to get these days for whatever reason, 197/250 dephaser and cam seals were out of stock/backorder from ren but eventually found a set.

As engine is not built, dont see the point in pulling the current engine out yet to have it sat in bits for ages.

Give it a wash off and an application of gtechniq c2v3 today to keep it right. Looks sad on the ph1 225 wheels.
20221126_151616.jpg

Had my spare set of Compomotive Mo 1882 in rare r26r et63 offset refurbed in white and michelin pilotsport cup2 tyres fitted. Look mega, going to get them ceramic coated to help with future cleaning.
20221126_123013.jpg
20221126_123009.jpg
20221126_123004.jpg
20221126_122928.jpg
20221126_122602.jpg
20221126_122037.jpg
20221126_122542.jpg

Hopefully next update will be cylinder head back from machine shop.

Thanks for reading!!