ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking / Sheared bolt in subframe brace / bracket

Clio 182
1615658787709.png

While looking for the cause of occasional knocking front driver's side I found a sheared bolt in the subframe-to-chassis brace. I'm a bit doubtful that it's the cause, but I've not found anything else yet, and it would be good to fix it anyway.

Am I safe to remove this brace while I fix it without any additional support to stop things distorting or landing on my head?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
View attachment 1526680

While looking for the cause of occasional knocking front driver's side I found a sheared bolt in the subframe-to-chassis brace. I'm a bit doubtful that it's the cause, but I've not found anything else yet, and it would be good to fix it anyway.

Am I safe to remove this brace while I fix it without any additional support to stop things distorting or landing on my head?
Snap! As in I have the same, not as in a description of your bolt, well both I suppose!

Mine doesn't cause any knocking noises if that helps

Craigy69k

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 182 FF
Mines is exactly the same underneath hoping to address the issue soon as it's an MOT fail as far as I can make out.

What are your plans with this? My bolt is sheared off so thinking about either drilling out or welding a nut on top?

Clio 182
Given it seems quite common, I gave the others a good soak in penetrating oil over night and carefully loosened them off this afternoon. Luckily they've all freed up nicely - I was half expecting to start with one sheared bolt and finish with four :)

I'll try a screw extractor first and go from there. It will have to wait to next weekend though.

If it's an MOT failure, they failed to spot it at my last MOT. I've never been near that bolt before, and no one else has worked on my car for over a year.

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Had the same with two out of eight on mine. The bolts are fairly soft so was pretty easy to drill out to the minor thread diameter then chase out the rest (carefully) with a tap.

Top tip, make your centre mark to start drilling on using a little abrasive stone on a Dremel. Much easier to correct when you inevitably place it off centre the first time like I do.