ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

latest mods, plus exhaust vid (182)

Went to GDI last week and had the following mods done

Got my battery moved to boot to allow for a better IK position and straighter inlet route.

Had some harder springs fitted, 225lb front and 300lb rear. Feels much better now sharper turn in but still a surprisingly comfortable ride, youve gotta love ledas. Spring swap was free of charge from leda just had to pay postage.

Went out with Andy and did some road mapping of my OMEX ECU. The mapping was all done at various engine loads and RPM to achieve the correct AFR. You could add and take away fuel useing a laptop. You could also see various sensor readings, an interesteing one was the air intake temp. This showed up the poor positioning of the viper behind the radiator. With a 10degC outside temp the inlet went from 25 upto a max of 36degC based on how hot the coolant was getting which in turn caused the radiator to get hotter. all interesting stuff though. Car feels much smoother now.

Heres a short exhaust vid
http://www.zippyvideos.com/7722555612905276/exhaustnoise/
try this if that one didnt work
http://www.zippyvideos.com/1807541432905706/exhaust182/

and some pics

Attachments

• bay1.jpg
    bay1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 222
  • boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 180
  • snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 167
  • snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 137
  • snow3.jpg
    snow3.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
racing182 said:
Sounds good, how come you only have one exhaust exit? looks wierd
I originally had a twin exit custom but the bore was only 2" so needed to get a new one when I got my engine mods done.

At the end of the day it was a cheaper option and better for power. You could have a twin exit single silencer at the back but I wanted it done as cheap as possible.

MarkM said:
I originally had a twin exit custom but the bore was only 2" so needed to get a new one when I got my engine mods done.

At the end of the day it was a cheaper option and better for power. You could have a twin exit single silencer at the back but I wanted it done as cheap as possible.
Go to Halfords and buy one of those tasty stick on tailpipe extensions. Then spot weld the fake sport extension to a small bar and spot that to the exhaust pipe. Heh ! heh I am joking

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
needs more revs! sounds good, bumper does look odd tho, any plans on a new one?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
hummm not so keen to the 1 piped 182! lol...Sounds ok tho. So how did you go about positioning the viper to avoid the inlet temps...

haitch said:
needs more revs! sounds good, bumper does look odd tho, any plans on a new one?

no plans for a new bumper, the next thing will be Bens inlet manifold, 215bhp potential I think.:evil:

AJR - the viper will be setup in a similar way to GDIs demo car, see pic.

Attachments

• P1010613.jpg
    P1010613.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 186
SOHROB said:
will it not need mapping again though ?

It may need to be tweeked a bit. The ECU can adjust the fueling to a certain extent but only when it is closed loop below 4500rpm, I think.

AJR - There is a space at that point where the valve on the old air inlet is which goes down into the arch liner. I will probably try and sort out a bit of a heat shield between the engine\radiator and air filter in take. Anything is going to be better then pointing straight at the back of a hot radiator.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Maybe a silly question but, why not put some vents in the bonnet, thus allowing cooler air into the engine?

msa182 said:
Maybe a silly question but, why not put some vents in the bonnet, thus allowing cooler air into the engine?

This would be the best solution but I dont really want a vented bonnet.

VRS
mark, im sorting out gettin a custom exhaust made in the next few weeks, would you say its best to go from the two silencers to just 1? would this allow for better power output? i didnt know whether to got for a similar setup to the oe (two silencer, 2 exit) or whether to get a single silencer with twin exit?

makavelli said:
mark, im sorting out gettin a custom exhaust made in the next few weeks, would you say its best to go from the two silencers to just 1? would this allow for better power output? i didnt know whether to got for a similar setup to the oe (two silencer, 2 exit) or whether to get a single silencer with twin exit?

I was told by Andy (GDI) and at the custom exhaust place that a single pipe and silencer is a better option for power. Andys demo car uses a single silencer with twin exit but the silencer is laid across the car so you cant see the silencer from the back. The Orbisoud and Supersprint exhaust use a single silencer twin exit arrangement aswell.

Go for 2.5" bore and a similar arrangement to the Supersprint (and GDI) exhaust, see link.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1479

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
if you have a look at the cup racers they use a similar air filter setup.. from behind where the headlight is, with a straight pipe

320d
Some very nice mods there and it looks near enough standard cosmetically

How about a mk2 172 rear bumper that way you can accomodate the single rear pipe without it looking like somethings missing

Liam182 said:
whats different about the collant you are using? (apart from the colour ;)

Its a special formulation developed by GDI, Andy charged me £30 a litre for it ;).

I dont know to be honest it would be something Andy put in though.

Ford Fiesta
MarkM said:
Its a special formulation developed by GDI, Andy charged me £30 a litre for it ;).

I dont know to be honest it would be something Andy put in though.

just wondered if it was designed to help things run cooler than the green renault stuff.

Liam182 said:
just wondered if it was designed to help things run cooler than the green renault stuff.

Yes I know what you mean mate. Your probably right I will PM Andy and find out what it is.