ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lightweight 182 track/road car (Page 6+)

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Re: 182 track weapon attempt

Will be watching this!
If wheel's were an inch smaller it would be spot on.
And like others say, harnesses. ;)

Cheers mate.
As said before i'll be modifying a few extra things to the cage or even change the hole thing, and look into other things.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

I'm hoping to do the same but remove the n/s side light/main beam part and modify some kinda tube type into the headlight as a CAF,

When you chucked your headlight in the oven was the plastic all soft and start to deform? Im hoping that I don't deform the lense coz it's plastic.

Cheers

They were literally in there for 5 minutes so didn't have a chance, they were held together with the same bond/sealant that you find behind the doorcards. 5 mins was just long enough for those to go soft, then slowly prise apart. Should be fine.

M3, Cup racer'd 182

^ perfect will be havin a go at this later on.
Cheers Neil.

M3, Cup racer'd 182

As I was out taking photos off the car I thought id also add a few to show the work that's been done already.

Here's some pics off the suspension also engine bay to show the cup racer strut brace.
f8679b6d.jpg

e2d89dc6.jpg

a9359891.gif

Here's some pics to show the whiteline ARB/stainless exhaust and also the underneath that's been completly undersealed.
b9a163af.gif

Here's a pic off the monster brake's fitted.
e7056a17.jpg

Here's some pics off the custom brake ducts i've made (also in the group buy) this is just placed there for now.
e81479bc.gif

2ff91b12.gif

172 cup, Impreza P1

Where did you get the battery relocation kit from?

Why are you getting rid of the bilsteins?

Looking good mate.

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Where did you get the battery relocation kit from?

Why are you getting rid of the bilsteins?

Looking good mate.

Thanks mate.

I bought the battery kit off clio1416 a member on here (cheers sam).

The reason why I'm getting rid off these are.
I'm going to fit the hole cup racer setup including hubs/ball joints so this would mean I have to get lengthened drive shafts, lengthen the track rod ends and possibly modify the subframe to adapt.

Cheers

M3, Cup racer'd 182

I've now started the green theme to match the livery after a spray job.
As i'm still off work :), I ripped the front/back bumpers off and fitted the green trs tow straps.

Here's a pic front/rear notice the (si tow eye) It will be in the glove box as a back up.
9ef60cea.jpg

0b4f57ec.jpg

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Yes nick more updates to follow after been flat out fitting things :D will take pics after and post

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Well a busy weekend guys after having a few tasty things through the door this week.
1'st off was strip the front end and remove all the radiator's/pipes inc air con and placed on the side
8aed10c1.gif

next i fitted the oil cooler with braided hoses and thermostat plate (thanks nick-barnes07) for selling :) while i was fitting this i also fitted a sandwich plate so i can use for a pressure gauge (blue thing)
8349c3b2.gif

3be69dd4.gif

While all the front end was off and up in the air i then fitted polybushes on the ARB (nightmare by the way). And then the easy bottom arms while it was all off i also fitted new ball joints anyway.
Pics ain't the best sorry
8ffdcfc9.jpg

32f36e39.gif

After was the task of fitting the battery relocation kit pretty easy as i bought a 2way joining box
4a05e87e.gif

56895795.gif

f32e8d21.gif

Also fitted a alloy foot rest from the group buy, but instead of screwing it down i pop riveted so looks oem.
eb725189.gif

24138652.gif

A few bits that i've taken off the car ready for spraying so bought all the paint materials, all these bits will be sprayed (left green on the chart) while my wheels when i get round to it will be sprayed the green on the right.
9c5538c2.gif

Another tasty delivery i had was SFS coolant hoses also intake bend again the green theme lol.
b5923f11.gif

6cc14ba7.gif

TrackCar & F30 330d

Some nice goodies there. What rad are you going to use now you've removed the old one?

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Some nice goodies there. What rad are you going to use now you've removed the old one?

I wasn't thinking of changing the radiator, but come to think about it I dont see why I can't upgrade it and fit a slim line fan as I've been toying with the idea of fitting ITB's later on so more room to play with :).

I'll have to look into it and post back.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

"Track car"............ with a bolt in cage. For that reason, I'm OOOT!!

Radical SR3

Now I don't know how well you can drive...but your car to me is someone just wanting to play at being a track racer. I know because I've done the same thing in the past, spent lots of money on wanky hoses etc etc making the car look good when in actual fact it all means jack s**t.

It's all about the go, strip it to the bare minimum (1 seat) upgrade the stock parts ONLY when you require more than they can offer. Learn to drive it to within an inch of its life and you'll realise you don't need monster Hi-specs and cute matching towing straps etc ;)

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

Now I don't know how well you can drive...but your car to me is someone just wanting to play at being a track racer. I know because I've done the same thing in the past, spent lots of money on wanky hoses etc etc making the car look good when in actual fact it all means jack s**t.

It's all about the go, strip it to the bare minimum (1 seat) upgrade the stock parts ONLY when you require more than they can offer. Learn to drive it to within an inch of its life and you'll realise you don't need monster Hi-specs and cute matching towing straps etc ;)

From some of his previous posts I don't think the guys a shabby driver as it stands.

Radical SR3

Well in that case, he won't need half this stuff...one of these with some sticky tyres is epic! job done!

TrackCar & F30 330d

Half the fun is the building of the track car tho, so if he wants to put some fancy bits on the car then let him!

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Ok from someone that's done it in the past then, did people ever comment that your car looked good when it was finished? If so then that's all the pleasure in doing these things so it's different to a normal car and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Ok as a track car yes i'll agree on the essentials only 1 seat and what not, but then you can't take a passenger an sh*t them up so what's the fun in that.

As to being a good driver not wanting to big myself up but all my friends think im a good driver while i've been pushing the car's to it limits even passed it sometimes. I've had plenty of powerful cars from FWD,RWD and 4X4's so I know how different these car's handle from one another, also i've had advanced driving course and skid pan when i done my licence's so know every senario that could happen in all these cars and correct it or even cause the car to handle in a different way.
These are the category's that's on my licence now A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1,C1E and fkp all past'd 1st time.
So a good driver you tell me.

Maybe the only way we'd find out is have a race at a track day.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

"Track car"............ with a bolt in cage. For that reason, I'm OOOT!!

useful post that, i would probably say 90% of peoples track cars have bolt-in cages, plus why feel the need to post that, just leave quietly

proper hero you then....
on the basis of not needing to build the car.... why do you have plenty? surely you only need 1 slightly good car? because YOU can get the most out of it?

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini

My cage in my cup racer was bolted in? Does that mean I wasn't safe?

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Thanks all for your valid inputs above :), I swear some people have no concept in modifying or putting personal touches to there car's so it stands out from every other.

If I want to spend thousands on parts that's no diffrent to stock apart from looks i will it's my money i'm waisting not your's, but each to there own I guest.

As to the bolt in cage's there just as safe as weld in cages as long as there plated under the chassis correctly.
If they wasn't safe then manufacture's wouldn't sell them another bonus with bolt in cages is quick and easy to remove :).

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini

Well said, it's your money you earned it so you do what you want with it.

172 cup, Impreza P1

If you get enjoyment out of blinging up a track car then crack on. It's your money at the end of the day and personally I like it. My preference is to do the essentials, then the performance and then the bling things but each to their own.

I was thinking of getting a bolt in cage so I guess there is no difference if fitted correctly?

M3, Cup racer'd 182

No there's no difference to a bolt in cage to a weld in apart from the extra work involved in fitting it i.e strip the hole car to a complete shell so it can be welded in on turrets.
There main job is the same as long as it's plated under neath the chassis then it's all fine as the pressure is spread to a bigger area rather than just the bolts, if you fitted it just using bolts and the dreaded happened it would rip out of the floor easily.

Hope this helps

TrackCar & F30 330d

Changing the subject slightly, make sure your sandwich plate is super tight, I thought mine was but the foooker has been leaking a little :(

So just make the that silly sized bolt thing is nice and tight and you'll be fine.

Keep up the good work!

Radical SR3

Each to their own, it might not be my way...but that doesn't mean it isn't A way.

If you are a decent driver then I'm surprised you are doing some of these things that don't really make you faster? my old car was overly extreme and got criticism and praise alike but I was more inlove with the idea of looking fast than being handy behind the wheel of it sadly :(

a pic for you to show I'm not just saying these things with no experience! I get far too attached to a car after putting time into it to actually drive it in anger, hence the Cup being treated like s**t.

P1080325.jpg

P1050570.jpg

M3, Cup racer'd 182

^ ok fair comment but how many months/years did it take and cost to build if you don't mind me asking?,

All these mods and fancy looking stuff that don't do nothing have cost me just shy of 5k all ready and the car is pretty much ready to use on the road as it's going for mot wednesday so really not bad in a years time frame.
I bet that car cost over 10k to build or maybe more concidering the sequential gearbox in your starlet prob cost you what i've spent on mine.

After fitting all these bits i know when i give it death on the track that most parts are brand new so i'll never have to worry about things failing/breaking and be stuck at the track side needing recovery.

Maybe in a years time or 2 i'll rip into it again and turn it into a pure track car as my main priority at the mo is to be able to use it on the road.

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Changing the subject slightly, make sure your sandwich plate is super tight, I thought mine was but the foooker has been leaking a little :(

So just make the that silly sized bolt thing is nice and tight and you'll be fine.

Keep up the good work!

Did you smear bit of oil on the seal before fitting/doing it up?,
I made sure it was done up FT and run it for 2 hours on tick over checking for leaks and what not, only leak I had was from the stupid 1/8 npt thread on another pressure plate that i can tap in for oil pressure gauge but abit of ptf tape and job done :).

Thanks mate will do

Clio Sport 182

Just ignore the naysayers. Do wot u like to the car, and enjoy it. I converted the wifes old fiesta for a track day bit of fun. Stripped it out, coilovers, uprated brakes etc. It might not look pretty but it goes ok. I can pretty much drive it to its limits now and am presently doing more to it for handling and speed. Know how much i've spent total? 2k. I drive the car to he trck, thrash it all day, then drive it home. Never let me down. And it shows some pretty expensive machinery up. The fun is in the driving. If it has wheels you like, fine. If it has stickers you think are ok, then great. Everyone has their own taste, and financial limits.