ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lightweight 182 track/road car (Page 6+)

197 cup
Re: 182 track weapon attempt

really like that cold air feed car coming together nicely mate i also might need some of the cup racer ducts off you soon if you have any left ?

M3, Cup racer'd 182

I like the wheels they look cool,good call on the stickers.
Cheers dude, I finally realalised that the ken block stickers should only be put on the fiesta's

really like that cold air feed car coming together nicely mate i also might need some of the cup racer ducts off you soon if you have any left ?
cheers Sam, thought you was stripping the Clio and getting rid of it? Is it still the same car or diffrent?.
Sorry mate but stopped doing the ducts and chucked the moulds out.

Ooft looks sick! Can't wait to see it finished and painted, keep up the good work.
Cheers dude. Will hopefully have it all finished by Febuary as i want to start on my next project (Clio 4x4 turbo) :).

e92 330i

Just read all of this also. Like the fact its different, even like the wheels, proberly like them more in 15/16" mind. But its your project! Headlamps are cool, are they legal though? Would main beam give off enough light?

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Just read from the start, i like how its starting to look, good work.

Thanks for that hopefully will have more of a update soon (if the weather holds off) Cheers mate :)

Just read all of this also. Like the fact its different, even like the wheels, proberly like them more in 15/16" mind. But its your project! Headlamps are cool, are they legal though? Would main beam give off enough light?

Cheers mate.
At this stage of the build i'm concidering fitting 15" but untill i get the interior/exterior/engine done i'll use the money on other things untill such time i can replace them for pro race 1.2's,
As for the headlight's i was hoping that i could keep the reflective on the main beam part but when i stuck masking tape and sprayed the rest i pulled the tape off gently and off came the reflective so all had to go black.
My main beam's like a tea light (not joking) but it's not a major problem as i tend not to use it and it will only be used during the day time.

As to are they legal they should be even though there dim its only the dipped headlights they test (pattern) but i'll soon find out next year when it goes for a MOT again.

BlackGold 182

i really like the headlights, i member your thread about them but dont no if these are the same ones? did you redo the headlights with masking the reflective bit and around the xenons?

e92 330i

Lol mot time, i dread that day! Luckily mine just passed with xenons and no washers/auto adjusters. Hmm i see what you mean, i think ive seen it before where people make balls of newspaper and hold it over the reflective parts to stop it painting them, im sure you could sand it down and buy more reflective material if need be? Since fitting the xenons never had to use main beam anyway.

M3, Cup racer'd 182

i really like the headlights, i member your thread about them but dont no if these are the same ones? did you redo the headlights with masking the reflective bit and around the xenons?

Cheers kieran, yes there the same ones.
no didnt get to redo the reflective parts again as to what i've confirmed through the internet there dipped/statick charched as standard.
So i'd have to spray the headlights again and spray the main beam part chrome just to get some reflective but if that fails i'd buy a spare pair and redo them again but do the "ball of paper on the main beam" to keep the reflective.

If only they where like thee ph1's with dual optics it would be much better ;).

i will be painting the whole interior of my lights.....

eat more carrots, you'll be fine

Pmsl, be carefull of the "CS sheep" when you do your's mind i had big flack for spraying mine even though the pattern/dimnes had'nt changed (on the dipped beam).
But that's ok i've been eating carrots for a while now but as a "day light car" and being xenon's i'll never use main beam anyway so it's more of looking stealth than standard look.

When you need a hand on your car again give me a shout i'll come down and give you/bomber/gray a hand so even better for you "man power wise" lol.

Lol mot time, i dread that day! Luckily mine just passed with xenons and no washers/auto adjusters. Hmm i see what you mean, i think ive seen it before where people make balls of newspaper and hold it over the reflective parts to stop it painting them, im sure you could sand it down and buy more reflective material if need be? Since fitting the xenons never had to use main beam anyway.

Balls to it it's only £35 for a complete new mot test even if it fails it's still free for 7 days (dont you just love friends ;)) so plenty of time to lend/buy new headlight's in that time frame ;).
Even though it's not the end of the end of the world as i'm still
contemplating getting it road legal so see what happens as it's still early days in the build ;).

You're quite lucky as what i've read regarding MOT next January 2012 the new rules regarding xenon's needs washers working "that's if the're present as standard" iirc.

Last edited:
  M3, Cup racer'd 182

Cheers guys, will be quite slow on the updates at the moment (moving in to a 110ft X 48ft garage) but watch this space!!

BIG PLANS

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Well this is well over due of a update but things have been very busy and to be honest a pain in the arse lately, since the last time i was on here (almost 2 months ago) i've had no ends of bad luck and pretty much sunk my bank balance low again.
1st thing me and my brother had taken over a garage and then shortly after my daily work horse broke so had to spend money for a new car as my other 2 cars are both off the road so wanted something pretty decent to tow with so bought a vectra Sri dti (no pics) so shortly after buying the car i ended up buying a Brian James autotrailer tiltbed (no pics apart from my cars on it).

And then a month after buying the car the fuel pump went so not only was i pissed off and down £1000 yet i was back to square 1 with no transport to get to and from work, so while i was searching the intenet for a pump (dealers wanted £2650+vat) i was also searching for other transport as a back up so i ended up buying a Honda cbr600rr 2005 only 3560 miles on the clock.
8461acff.jpg

After a week of looking i ended up buying a reconditioned pump from dieseljones at only £610 so fixed the car then the fun began to pick up my cars and place them in the garage.

1st the Clio
aed25363.jpg

2nd the M3
ef61a67c.jpg

442be7a9.jpg

While the cars was over the garage me and my brother studded and boarded out a spray booth with a extractor fan.
e7806b9f.gif

Then as promised BIG PLANS so here it was while in the garage 1st off and then pics speak for them selfs.
da7475b3.jpg

6156af35.jpg

86feed7d.jpg

eaa2c0a4.jpg

b6239534.jpg

40d306f0.jpg

85059c2d.jpg

8bc8d615.gif

Well as you can see im now going down the route of light weighting the shell so got a few things to take off like brake system,suspension and axel, then the diet can start by 1st me putting the shell on it's side and cleaning and grinding off the excess metal.

M3, Cup racer'd 182

So how many track days has the "track weapon" done? ;)

None as of yet, the car was all together at one point but then i sold the top dash and half cage and i still havn't had the full cage welded in so decided to start over again.
problem being where it was outside the back of my neighbours house if i stripped something off i had to put it back together due to the theiffing buggers around here.

Now i have the workshop things should start moving quickly to get it back together after i remove excess metal and a few other bits.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Got mine to 900kg dry with out going to too much trouble, sounds alot of work for little gain maybe.....I'd stop, put it back together and use it....you've done enough me thinks.

900kg dry ain't bad, I don't have a clue of what i want it to so i'll do what i can and should be more than enough, yes possibly the easiest way would be to put it back together but then deep down i won't be happy untill i done what i can and after getting it done i'd still use the (big no no 17" wheels) untill there bald.
Wait for it! Then replace them and the brakes suitable for 15" :clap: to do it now is a loss of £700 for wheels and tyres just to be sat in the garage doing nothing.

I only want to do it this once as i want to move onto my next project the M3.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Abit curious as to what's the lightest track/road legal car someone's done on here?
Edit wet or dry?

Trafic 140dci
Abit curious as to what's the lightest track/road legal car someone's done on here?
Edit wet or dry?
Mine was weighed at 960kg with quarter of a tank, now down to approx 935-940 ish need to weigh it, be-time i've cut the doors about, polycarb windows and fit the alloy bonnet hope to be in the late 8**kg's :)

Check my project thread for what's been removed from my car, it's pretty basic as said above the only way it's gonna get lighter now is polycarb's and cutting metal :)

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Cheers guys low 900's or high 800's is a good figure :), I assume to get a 182 down to low 800's would require a lot of cutting and swagging or is it pretty much a impossible target while keeping it road legal?.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Cheers gray, i'd be doing what you said and a few other bits and bobs that i have up my sleeve so hopefully i'll be looking at mid to high 800's with lightweight 15" wheels.

Radical SR3
There's not a great deal more I can do to my Cup now, aside from rear screen polycarb and removal of the heater. I totalled around 170 kg saved from the car after new parts went in where required, based on it being a stock 172 Cup (1011kg? which is up for some debate it seems) that would mean around 850kg. I have it booked for corner weigh etc this weekend so I'll report back on how inaccurate that figure is.

On my last car, it started out at 890kg and I got it down to 670kg (with rollcage) and that was without getting completely carried away* and drilling out bolt heads etc.

*I did get pretty much totally carried away.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Would be good to see your figures after its been corner weighted, bloody hell 670kg was that the starlet by any chance?.

Abit of a update the weekend has been taking up on other bits but I have started to chop bits off the car :). (plenty more to come)
ef7200b4.jpg

081e7b4d.jpg

0a9a0e29.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pics but as you can see i've started to remove all the paint/undercoat so i can start again (with a thinner coat) once all trimmed and cut off unwanted metal.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Cheers jack, although it will be a road legal track car it won't be used on the road often so for the clutch rest being there it won't be used much.

Another reason for ripping it out, i'm debating on fitting race pedals so might need all the room i can get as i got no idea on which ones i'd need floor mounted/top mounted?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Having seen the OBP stuff first hand I wouldnt recommend it. I know a lot of folk who have bought them and been unhappy with the quality.

I had a Tilton 3 pedal floor mounted set up for my car but couldnt get the seat back far enough to make it comfortable to use so I sold it on to a mate with an Impreza.
If I were going to look another pedal box I would stick with underslung, but most of these seem to be 2 pedal unless you spend silly money on top end AP. So you would have to make up your own throttle pedal or you might be able to buy something.

Tilton
http://www.competitionsupplies.com/...y-overhung-mounted-brake-pedal-box-fromtilton

Would obviously require a bracket to mount it onto the underside of the bulkhead, I was going to tie it into the cage, but to make it nice and neat and not be overly heavy would take a bit of work, and while it's certainly possible, it's not a 5 minute job.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
good work on the weight saving, i definitely hope to be in the late 800kg's, i don't have the mass of hoops others do in there cages but then again i think my cage is a bit thicker,
interested in the pedal assembly you are thinking about,

will keep an eye out

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Thanks kenny for the advise regarding the pedal assembly at the moment i'm going to move on and get to it at a later date.

Time for a update guys,
Not much has been happing on the car since last post lost interest if i'm honest and been busy with the motorbike.
This is now the bike
94de8708.jpg

Back on subject i'm currently on holiday this week (working on the car) so got alot done already :).

1st job was remove every bit of metal and sound deadening inside the car. JOB DONE
b5fc1f48.jpg

You're probably thinking what's the score with the massive flat sheet on the right? Will become more apparent later.

Here's the pics of the inside as it is now with some panels looking like a cheese grater :).
9937aa93.jpg

21e20e95.jpg

Ready for the surprise?
56e155ae.jpg

i'm ditching the std fuel setup and fitting a internal alloy fuel tank in a metal box with uprated fuel pumps and swirl pot.

superb!!!!

keep going though.. theres a couple of 106`s out there running around the 200bhp mark and hovering between 690 and 720 ish kilos.... lol