ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loosening the camgears

Sell me your 197
Hi guys,

Any tips on how to get the b******s off?

I have the genuine Renault locking tool in place (with the correct extended gear and the spacers) but I can't get enough torque into the 18mm bolts on the camgears, It just loosens the bolt on the tool thats holding the cog. A real pain. Using a 60mm breaker bar and both dephaser and exhaust bolts won't budge.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lionel Richie
LOL i thought so, 60mm breaker bar would be hard work!

how tight do you have the cam gears? thet need to be REALLY tight!

Sell me your 197
Cam gears I have no idea. They were last tightened when the cambelt was replaced at a shop, 5000km's later, snappy snappy.

Sorry for the newbie question: With the tool, comes a little metal clip majigger. What is it?

Cheers

Sell me your 197
Yep. One came with the tool itself, another smaller version of it came with the extended cog?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
those are for hanging the tool on a board ;)

you need to hold the cog still with an 8mm whilst tightening with a 19mm, if you dont do this, you'll rotate the cam sprockets and they'll spring back when you slacken the locking tool

Sell me your 197
Yep, been doing that. b******s still come loose when I get the breaker onto it....

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
are the washers on the tool in good condition? they need to be as flat as possible, have to replace mine quite regularly

Sell me your 197
The tool is brand new.

Sounds like I may need to buy an extended 17mm spanner and get it real tight.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I can't understand how you're having this problem. Have you still got the belt on, and the horseshoe in?

Sell me your 197
Belt snapped.

Horseshoe is NOT in. I don't want to bend it... Should I put it in? It's a Laser one, not a genuine one...

BMW M135i
Laser one will bend if its left in trying to crack the pulley fixings, you'll have to get a renault one and i'd still be careful then without the old belt on.

Other pikeyish option (but it does get you out the s**te) is they'll knock round with a hammer and chisel easily enough with a slot cut into the nut for it to bite into. Trouble being you're doing this in a 1*2 so obviously this will only get the exhaust pulley off.

I've used laser tools in the past and they're all fine and good if you are careful, but knowing what I know now in hindsight i'd have just bought some renault ones from of the offset. They aren't worth the extra hassle/lesser quality you get with them.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its also highly possible that some idiot before you has put bearing lock or locktite all over the fixing in an attempt to ensure the assembly doesn't slip (which never works) and all it does is make life mega difficult for the next person come service time.

In cases like this you have two options (IMO):

1 - Shock it off with air tools (and if space allows).

2 - Remove the dephaser then the top cover from the engine assembly. Take out the inlet cam and keep it safe then place the exhaust cam in a soft jaw vice (doesn't need to be tight just stop the lobes spinning) and remove using a proper breaker bar/air tools and a decent socket.

Either way the 18mm fixing will need to be replaced and I'd also inspect/replace if required the stretch stud for signs of damage such as tapering.

Mick

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Sell me your 197
Thanks for the help, all of you.

Ended up hitting the dephaser with a rattlegun.

Cheers