ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M3. V8. Saloon.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So following on from this: http://www.cliosport.net/threads/e46-m3-individual-version-2.782097/
A few good months of hard saving meant that i could finally buy want i really wanted back in September 2015!!

Well actually, i originally wanted a coupe, but was drawn into the rarity of the saloon and the recent work that this particular one had had done, i.e. 4 x Michelin Super Sports, recent major service, discs/pads all round & both throttle actuators replaced - all at BMW, for considerable £££££'s!!!

Spec wise, from what i can gather, its a manual with 19's, EDC, front/rear PDC, USB in (adjustable) armrest, full-beam assist & DAB. It is missing heated seats, which is normally my "must have", but the recent maintenance was more important i think, hopefully ill be able to survive the cold winter mornings! The audio is also standard, but doesnt really seem any worse than the HK in the e46.

I've only really got the sellers photos so far, but as they are pretty good & far better than anything i could take, here they are:

M3-3_zpsj9c9bwmt.jpg

M3-4_zpsyxgq3lmm.jpg

M3-5_zpsufrpyzz2.jpg

This is probably my fav photo, those arches :smilingimp:
M3-6_zpsw5azrz1e.jpg

M3-7_zpsa1wejt5m.jpg

M3-9_zpstworgunm.jpg

M3-10_zps1l4m8luc.jpg

M3-13_zpsljsreiti.jpg

M3-14_zpshub3wyt2.jpg

M3-12_zpskgyhsl8t.jpg

M3-11_zpslzqdfwkc.jpg

M3-42_zpseifik0aj.jpg

Interior is far less gaudy in real life than in photos, i used to hate it, but now its ok!
M3-20_zps4ns42d4o.jpg

M3-21_zpse8hgwasm.jpg

A manual V8 was fine in the e39 M5 ...
M3-33_zpslywb1gjz.jpg

And some shots showing the colour change!
After collecting, at the petrol station, where i will no doubt spend a lot of time:
M3_zpsmrkzisfz.jpg

Outside work, next to the MD's AMG. Moar V8.
Looking blue:
IMG_9705_zpskblaojyi.jpg

Looking black:
IMG_9708_zpspjzptfdf.jpg

And a terrible photo with its "Dad":
IMG_9716_zpsp7ihkr0q.jpg

Things to change so far:
1. Door lock actuator, purely as it only unlocks on the key
2. Bigger clutch stop, to reduce the pedal travel.
3. CIC controller for the satnav, i dont mind the actualy system, but the controller is rubbish.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Very nice, I just can't get on with the rear lights. Is the interior a red or orange??

Love it. Not sure on the leather colour but what a lovely car.

That rear M3 badge looks out of place imo. De-badge?

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Nom. Absolutely love it. Even the interior! Bring on LM, bring on the noise!! (skidz?)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
That's lovely. Interior looks superb against that colour!

Lots of want although I'm not sure on the wheels, just something about that wheel doesn't look quite right, I think they look a bit too dated for the car.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Nice purchase. Theres a Silverstone coloured one round the corner from me on CSL's, it looks lovely. Apart from that ive not seen any more.
Enjoy...

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Love it. I really like it in saloon form as well, looks really aggressive. I think it's carried over to the latest version too, I would have an M3 over an M4. The wide arches just look really good on a four door body in both cases.

Nice purchase!

Looks great, would be after one myself if I wasn't planning on moving house. Saloon would be better for me with having a family.

Lovely car mate, definitely next on my list of cars to own! Get the exhaust mod done and it'll sound like a 4.0 V8 should. Does it feel much quicker than the E46?

Impreza RB5 #054
Lovely, a big leap from the E46? As I get older the saloons look better and better.

Reg looks familiar, is it from this way?

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Really nice, I think I'd want the coupe just so I could have my seatbelt handed to me every morning.
Can see the appeal of the undercover saloon though!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
My twin! I swear one guy bought 2 cars exactly the same, mines a 58 with exactly the same spec!
And I'll have less gangster wheels next month!

Be interested to see what you get MPG wise, mines hanging around 16-17 at the minute, but with the 2 pipe mod it's hard to get above that!

I feel bad for missing out on your E46 but I'm sure when you get used to this you'll realise why! I'm sure this is on similar miles to mine too if it's the one I've seen hanging around on ebay, 52k-ish? If not they're triplets! Be worth getting the warranty if you are still under 60k, more for resale in my opinion...

Z4
Lovely.
Go on, tell us how it compares the the 46!

I prefer the coupe, but I do get the saloon thing, just not for me.
I've been wanting an e92 for ages now, should I just get one and be done with it?
Values have remained extremely strong for ages now, I can't see them dropping for a good while, they just seem to do everything you want, bloody well.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Please get an exhaust shop to take some of the silencers out of the rear box. Pretty please?

Looks amazing, perfect all round vehicle!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Nice!

I can't get on with the colour or spec though.

My friend has bought a smashed up one to use its engine and box in a kit car!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looks sooooo good. Purposeful as f**k!
Lovely, thanks!
Very nice, I just can't get on with the rear lights. Is the interior a red or orange??
Interior is called fox red, so a dark red, although its nigh on impossible to capture properly in photos! Its bright, but not horrific, although i would probably swop to heated black leather if it became available. I also hate the silver dash strips, so pondering what to replace them with at the moment.
Are the rear doors the same as non M3 models or are they faired/sculptured in to the wider rear arches?
Same as the normal ones Mark, think the flair is just on the rear quarters, hence why it bulges out so sharply i guess.
Aren't there clear facelift ones which are a straight swap? IIRC?
The facelift ones are a straight swop on the coupe, but new bootlid required on the saloon, i didnt bother retrofitting the LEDs to the e46, so im not that bothered on this either if im entirely honest. Saloon LCI's are mega mega rare, so i'll doubt ill see one cruising about and get jeaous. Hopefully lol.
That's lovely. Interior looks superb against that colour!
Lots of want although I'm not sure on the wheels, just something about that wheel doesn't look quite right, I think they look a bit too dated for the car.
I know what you mean about the wheels, they are very similar to the e46 ones, which i do like, but they arent immaculate (lacquer has come off in places), which irritates me. I might try some comp pack wheels, but the OEM ones are ALOT of money & i hate the pikey front offsets of the replicas.
Interesting that the M3 saloon got the coupe headlights too.
Yes, i like that it makes it a little different to all the other 3 series saloons. An oddity that makes it that little more special i think.
Love it. I really like it in saloon form as well, looks really aggressive. I think it's carried over to the latest version too, I would have an M3 over an M4. The wide arches just look really good on a four door body in both cases.
Nice purchase!
Thanks, id agree with you on the M3>M4 as well, to me, the latter just looks like a normal 4 series, the flare of the arches is simply too subtle. On an ///M car, i like it to look different, the wider arches/bonnet bulge etc suggest that they "shoved big stuff" into a small car & it didnt quite fit.
Lovely car mate, definitely next on my list of cars to own! Get the exhaust mod done and it'll sound like a 4.0 V8 should. Does it feel much quicker than the E46?
Exhaust mod has already been done, its got the 2 pipe, which is more than loud enough, but not intrusive, is strangely much louder in "Sport Plus" on the Power setting, which i find odd as i only thought that affected the throttle map!! I think its quicker than the M3 pootling around for sure, the extra torque is certainly noticeable, outright speed, ill have to let you know, off to Cornwall for the weekend ...
Lovely, a big leap from the E46? As I get older the saloons look better and better.
Reg looks familiar, is it from this way?
Bought it from Redditch, it prevously lived in "the north", Essex and Brizzle, so you might have seen it floating around your neck of the woods!
Ta
Really nice, I think I'd want the coupe just so I could have my seatbelt handed to me every morning.
Can see the appeal of the undercover saloon though!
I know what you mean, but that only breaks lol.
Excellent work David, excellent work.
Saloons is where it's at. Looks lovely.
Thought you'd approve, saloons are indeed where its at!! Although i dont have any little Dave's to fit in the back haha.
My twin! I swear one guy bought 2 cars exactly the same, mines a 58 with exactly the same spec!
And I'll have less gangster wheels next month!
Be interested to see what you get MPG wise, mines hanging around 16-17 at the minute, but with the 2 pipe mod it's hard to get above that!
I feel bad for missing out on your E46 but I'm sure when you get used to this you'll realise why! I'm sure this is on similar miles to mine too if it's the one I've seen hanging around on ebay, 52k-ish? If not they're triplets! Be worth getting the warranty if you are still under 60k, more for resale in my opinion...
Yes, very much your twin!! Although having researched them quite a bit (as you would expect from me), BMW did a shed load of pre-reg management car/demos in black/red with this spec in 08/09, same with Silverstone/Black, so if you check the ones for sale, most of them are exactly the same!!
For example, black ones:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201602020653105
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201602151065890
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201602070811389
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601300571674
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201603041653453
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510298250669

Silverstone ones:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601210276291
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201507095050464
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201603111860072
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512169495090

Mines on 61k, a tad irritating re: warranty, but i made sure i factored that into the price of the car, dont worry about the e46, it sold super easily, so its not a problem, probably your fault that i started looking at them again though 😂 Mpg wise, i got 15 this morning on the way to work, so i reckon it will average out at sub 20 lol.
Lovely.
Go on, tell us how it compares the the 46!
I prefer the coupe, but I do get the saloon thing, just not for me.
I've been wanting an e92 for ages now, should I just get one and be done with it?
Values have remained extremely strong for ages now, I can't see them dropping for a good while, they just seem to do everything you want, bloody well.
Initial thoughts compared to the e46 are that its simple a much newer car, the tech is better (even with CCC), interior wise i think the e46 is made of better materials, but both are very plush. A simple test imho for quality is what the sun visors are made of, in the e46 its plush material, the e90 has thinner material, the M135i had think/pikey plastic, i dont understand why manufacturers make cost savings in such obvious places!!
Price wise, i looked at a 60k mile coupe in September, which was very similar condition wise to this, full BMWSH, new tyres/brakes, actuators done etc and i would have paid £19,250, this was £18k, so the prices have stayed fairly firm i think, im hoping the manual saloons will hold better as the e39 M5 owners start to buy them up :tongueclosed:

Lovely!

Needs darkline rear lights. Although the LCI ones look good in an OEM sort of way.
I'm not sure actually, i viewed one with them and it didnt really give the look im after, although that could have been partly due to the tinted windows, which i hate with a passion:
media?id=2973a52d0643488280f6a1baca8f4f28.gif

Hands down one of the most heroic cars on here. Love it, even the interior!
Ha ha, cheers, much appreciated!!
Nice!
I can't get on with the colour or spec though.
My friend has bought a smashed up one to use its engine and box in a kit car!
That kit car will be obscene!!
I know what you mean about the spec, it not having heated seats is a major downer for me, colour combo wise its growing on me, although black will be a ballache to keep clean/not get swirled to f*ck!!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm not sure actually, i viewed one with them and it didnt really give the look im after, although that could have been partly due to the tinted windows, which i hate with a passion:

Actually I've changed my mind, they look a tad much on a black car. I've only ever seen them on white/silver and they look very good on those colours.

That said I'm sure you couldn't care less what the car behind thinks of your light clusters when you're hooning around with that lovely induction noise. Not sure I would either.