ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mark 1 Track Car - Trophy Red 172 Project

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Mate, genuinely gutted to hear this!!! you should have sold it to me, maybe i could have saved it? or do you think it was something already underway?

I couldn't sell it mate, if I did and saw someone else in it i'd be distraught! its part of me now had it that long, lol

Rot would already of been there, fear not I have the panels to repair it so it will rise again, one day!

Countryman JCW
I couldn't sell it mate, if I did and saw someone else in it i'd be distraught! its part of me now had it that long, lol

Rot would already of been there, fear not I have the panels to repair it so it will rise again, one day!
YES! good man !

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
30-03-2018 Arch Painting

Weather was okay first thing this morning, so badly masked up the arches and set about them with the stone chip.
Got two layers on and then naffed off out, so left it to dry and got back in time to cover the car back up before the heavens opened.
I'll attack the lot with the red paint next time spring decides to attempt to sprung soon ,lol!
DSC_3725.JPG
DSC_3726.JPG
DSC_3727.JPG
DSC_3728.JPG
DSC_3729.JPG

Then popped over to Austen's for a nosey at his recently acquired phase 1

DSC_3736.JPG

Cheers
Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
New black series arb bushes purchased. Sticking with purple on the wishbones for now as think I'm going to go pms spherical at some point on those.
152364761670359551698.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Bit more painting recently, tidied up front springs and brake booster plus the pedal box panel in the chassis.
About ready to start popping it all back together now :)

Had to remove manifold again get the booster out and no pics of springs finished yet, I'll assemble them back to the coilovers before the reveal ;-)
DSC_3802.JPG
DSC_3803.JPG
DSC_3801.JPG
DSC_3805.JPG
DSC_3806.JPG
DSC_3808.JPG

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
had a change of plan and whilst I was getting some parts for GTT powdrcoated I decided to get the springs done for the KW's, sacralige I know but meh, I like green!

I will also eventually put the darn car back together, promise!

the manifold is back off again currently to be taken to machine shop for a new lambda bung to be welded in to clear the linkage from the PMS shifter, then its on!

cheers

Ben

DSC_3992.JPG
DSC_3995.JPG

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
More progress today, finally got the cambelt and Dephaser job done.

The Dephaser was noisey and cambelt overdue, I'd bought 197 cams while back but circumstances meant wasn't in a position to time and map them. As such decided I'd change the belts and Dephaser and get another year out the car before fitting the cams.

Things however didn't go to plan and after successfully replacing everything and timing the lump, the exhaust cam stud stripped out the cam on final torqing nightmare

As such my hand was forced into fitting the 197 cams to complete the job.

All went smoothly, all fitted, timed to stock for now and new water pump fitted.

So progress made. Next is brake overhaul to get the Willwood 4 pots fitted.

Anyway, many pics!

IMG-20180811-WA0062.jpg

IMG-20180811-WA0061.jpg

IMG-20180811-WA0054.jpg

IMG-20180811-WA0060.jpg

IMG-20180811-WA0058.jpg

IMG-20180811-WA0057.jpg

IMG-20180811-WA0090.jpg

IMG-20180811-WA0096.jpg

IMG-20180811-WA0103.jpg

IMG-20180811-WA0095.jpg

Cheers

Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
30-09-2018 Putting things back together

Started piecing the car back together today. Newly coated springs fitted to the KW's after cleaned, treated and painted arches. Refitted the drivetrain, filled up the box oil and coolant etc and painted and refitted my brake servo.

Also fired up the engine for first time since I fitted the 182 manifold, new cat back exhaust (temp fitted for now just to get car running) and did the belts and cams.

Fired up fine until smoke started pouring out the alternator which appears to be buggered... So need a new one of those! Lol!

Subframe built back up with powerflex black series arb bushes

IMG-20180930-WA0057.jpg

Brake servo painted and refitted

IMG-20180930-WA0055.jpg

Heat wrapped 182 manifold fitted,clearance is tight but enough!

IMG-20180930-WA0053.jpg

Arch before suspension refitted

IMG-20180930-WA0045.jpg

Other side with all back in place

IMG-20180930-WA0054.jpg

IMG-20180930-WA0052.jpg

IMG-20180930-WA0049.jpg

IMG-20180930-WA0051.jpg

Jumping the car off the RB

IMG-20180930-WA0070.jpg

And refitted the pms shifter and sabelt wheel

IMG-20180930-WA0076.jpg

So need to acquire another alternator and then it's onto brakes next!

Cheers

Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
No idea that's just what came with the kit. Believe you can buy correct ones from jamsport but chap I bought the kit off measured these up instead and worked at a machine shop so me modded them to fit at work so cost him less.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
moved under her own steam for the first time tonight, up the road and back.....

no bonnet, brakes awful, weights on the front wheel catching caliper on one side and then the lashed up exhaust fell off...…….but god I love it! so chuffed just to get it moving.

more work on bleeding the brakes required, annoying imperial American crap though so had to order a 1/4" ring spanner off eBay and I'm going to need some smaller bleed pipe for the nipples on the callipers...…..

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Well back enough into one piece now, outstanding are to try to bleed the brakes again and needs new rear discs, probably a bit more of a fettle with the exhaust but save for that she's back up and running!

To then be consigned to the back of the drive for winter! Lol!! Fail!

Couple of last pics then hibernation time, catch you all in 2019

Cheers

Ben

DSC_4235.JPG
DSC_4236.JPG
DSC_4237.JPG

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Oh forgot to mention, finally got rid of the skoda front splitter and refitted the much more appropriately sized original :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Small update

Due to my ongoing spending issues I acquired a set of pms lower arms with the spherical bearings and strengthening plates for a bargain so couldn't say no.

No fitted pics but bit of struggle on the offside so had to 'adjust' it to fit but after a bit of loving persuasion they're on.

No fitted pics unfortunately but hopefully grab an mot next month just to get it done and try get some pics of the front setup on the pit loaded up and like it will be in use if you get me.

And the old grey mk1 got a wash again to just cling a little bit onto my clio past.... One day sweet princess, one day, lol!

Cheers

Ben

Out with the old

IMG-20181027-WA0041.jpeg

Not quite same shape new

DSC_4256.JPG

DSC_4257.JPG

Some persuading tools

DSC_4255.JPG

Finished and attention turned to the old grey girl

IMG-20181028-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20181028-WA0018.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Did a small buy just because. The adonised alloy grey components of the sleeve look a bit odd in the flash light but much better in natural light imo.

Saved a whopping 150g as well, gainz, lol!

Old sleeve

IMG-20181114-WA0031.jpg

Side by side off car

IMG-20181114-WA0036.jpg

Threads cleaned for retaining screw

IMG-20181114-WA0038.jpg

New nut fitted

IMG-20181114-WA0037.jpg

And fitted

IMG-20181114-WA0035.jpg

IMG-20181114-WA0034.jpg

Cheers

Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
MOT tomorrow so swapped onto the original wheels, replaced one rear disc as temp measure before I buy some new ones as couple of the threads in the old disc had threaded and also tested all the usual stuff.

All looked fine until horn.... Pressed the button and it made a noise like the final exhalation of a dying sheep and stopped working....

So luckily mate Danny in the next town to the rescue was breaking his phase 1, new horns collected just and set off fogs with decent surrounds for the odyssey acquired to boot

So I'll pop new horn on tomorrow morning (wire and earth already tested and okay) and fingers crossed she passes :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
MOT passed today, goods times.

Also took opportunity to look over the loaded up geo of the roll kit whilst it was on the pit. Lower arms sitting pretty flat with fully equal suspension load on the front axle.

Anyway, couple of pics:

Under the car

IMG-20181124-WA0010.jpg

And the kit working it's magic

IMG-20181124-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20181124-WA0009.jpg