ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

matched inlets.. gains

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I'm going to be buying a set of cnc matched inlets for the 172.

I'm wondering if there are any proven gains with them? I'm more intrested at mid range and torque, I neve reallyr rev the car past 6000 rpm so top end numbers are not that intresting for me.

Would they be a worth while expense?

Both upper and lower inlets.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you have an RS stamped lower inlet then the gains are minimal, if it's the earlier non RS manifold there is a little bit to be had.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I thought about them on a previous car, was advised they dont warrant the cost.

My new phase 1 has them. It goes very well, but not saying it's down to just them

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Ok.
well they don't cost that much tbh, and I will have a spare bit of cash next month.

from what I have been able to dig up on the forum it's more mid range improvements.

I have also fitted a decat before I went on holiday so I'm hoping the matched inlets and decat will see some nice results at the next RR day at dynodaze

330i. E30 Touring.
Little mods like this make no real difference tbh.

It's when you combine 4/5/6 of these small mods that it becomes 'worthwhile'.

That said, unless going cams/ITB's/Boost, in my eyes it's pointless chasing more powah from a 1*2. Suspension and brakes will almost certainly be money better spent for me.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea the power gains will be pretty small, but then if you can get it painted and stuff at the same time it's a nice bit of underbonnet bling you can add in.
Do exhaust/induction to give it abit more volume, and the RST remap makes it a little nicer to drive.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You could always let this fella have a go, won't end in tears or anything.

Jonny ports-a-lot

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Ald how come all these old posts on here are showing good gains??
Unles it was all lies 5 years ago lol

Most people add other mods as well when doing the inlet

It's the other mods that show the power. Has anyone done a back to back dyno..

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Yea but the exhaust won't do that much.

Well im going to fit the new inlets anyway then get a RR printout.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
i know but 20 bhp from exhaust?,i got jamsports on mine waste of money big con imo,diagro save your cash

You would need to do a back to back and make sure the temps are the same

To many factors with dyno when the tests are done far apart.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
i would but i sold my standard ones on ebay,honestly dont waste 200 quid mate,save up for the rs2 inlet if it ever gets made again :smile:

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I noticed the difference with matched inlets. Its a cheap gain imo on a engine which is pants to tune without spending big bangers

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
The problem I have is that there are posts on this forum and Facebook saying that it does help and a good gain is shown in the mid range.

then you get people saying that it's all bull.

so I'm stuck in the situation where I don't know what to do.

one hand I could buy them, dyno it and find its not done anything in which case I can just sell them on. Easy to do on ebay.

or they could actually show a gain and I keep them

The one I tested was a eBay one. No gains from that. I ported one and got a few more cfms.... Well a total of 5. Not a lot and not a lot would show up on the road. I will port inlets if people want them but I say save the money and get the head done instead.
Cost of a inlet doing is £150-£200
One of my heads from £350-£400 plus parts to fit it if diy. Have a look on here and Facebook to see the gains.

Renault Clio RS ph2
During the past years, I read a lot of BenR's (Angelworks) posts about inlet manifold porting and his results were always very good!

He wrote this:
-"A properly done inlet manifold can gain between 8-12bhp"
-"The 172/182 manifold responds well because its not a great shape and the casting quality is poor. There are 2 levels to the 172 manifold mod, one is working the areas you can (which is about 90%), reshaping, matching and generally optimising the flow path. The second level reuqires cutting off the plenham top, welding it up (to give me more meat to work with) and starting from scratch, its substantially more expensive, but substantially better."
-"Gains are typically between 6-15bhp, averaging 8-10bhp for the cheaper modification. However, if your manifold is a good one to start with, gains will be in the lower end of the scale, i cannot gaurantee gains due to the nature of the work."
-"The design we ended up with was the result of CFD analysis and allowed us to generate a profile that aids flow control greatly. Infact, the actual perfect design requires material to be added to the casting so there are areas which are not touched as they are already 'oversize', and you will see this vary with batch casting used." [This is referred to CNC manufacture]
-"Gains will still be in the region of 8-13bhp depending on which cylinder head/ex manifold combination your car happens to be stuck with"

This is a dyno test [Ph1 car with AWT inlet manifold, Magnex exhaust, ITG Maxogen]:
183Bhp-Ph1-CollettoriAWT-ScaricoMagnex-ITGmaxogen.jpg
Why are there these differences beetwen BenR works and others?

During the past years, I read a lot of BenR's (Angelworks) posts about inlet manifold porting and his results were always very good!

He wrote this:
-"A properly done inlet manifold can gain between 8-12bhp"
-"The 172/182 manifold responds well because its not a great shape and the casting quality is poor. There are 2 levels to the 172 manifold mod, one is working the areas you can (which is about 90%), reshaping, matching and generally optimising the flow path. The second level reuqires cutting off the plenham top, welding it up (to give me more meat to work with) and starting from scratch, its substantially more expensive, but substantially better."
-"Gains are typically between 6-15bhp, averaging 8-10bhp for the cheaper modification. However, if your manifold is a good one to start with, gains will be in the lower end of the scale, i cannot gaurantee gains due to the nature of the work."
-"The design we ended up with was the result of CFD analysis and allowed us to generate a profile that aids flow control greatly. Infact, the actual perfect design requires material to be added to the casting so there are areas which are not touched as they are already 'oversize', and you will see this vary with batch casting used." [This is referred to CNC manufacture]
-"Gains will still be in the region of 8-13bhp depending on which cylinder head/ex manifold combination your car happens to be stuck with"

This is a dyno test [Ph1 car with AWT inlet manifold, Magnex exhaust, ITG Maxogen]:
View attachment 134924 Why are there these differences beetwen BenR works and others?

So you're saying that someone (BenR in this case) who was selling a product, said that it produced good gains? Well that's surprising...

Renault Clio RS ph2
So you're saying that someone (BenR in this case) who was selling a product, said that it produced good gains? Well that's surprising...
No I am saying that in the past the results of BenR were confirmed by various dyno test and clio owners! ;) And those results were differente from the actual "no gains". So why today there are no gains porting the inlet manifold?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Little mods like this make no real difference tbh.

It's when you combine 4/5/6 of these small mods that it becomes 'worthwhile'.

That said, unless going cams/ITB's/Boost, in my eyes it's pointless chasing more powah from a 1*2. Suspension and brakes will almost certainly be money better spent for me.
^ This.