ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane 225 powered 172 cup.

So.....???
So last monday had big troubles with it overheating, so much so the hg was thought to have gone, but was only a scare.

Caused by a didgy t stat. So yeah wasted day that was, got it sorted by changing coolant lines around a bit so all coolant was going through rad, also removed stat which seemed to work.

Went on the dyno today, came away with a f**king brilliant driveable clio at 260bhp @0.7bar. Also on none harsh rollers, dan @ sjm said would make 280 elsewhere haha.

So yeah reason we couldnt push it to 1 bar was again down to overheating issues unfortunately, so new radiator time. Gonna see how Snetterton goes on the 8th with standard rad, as it gets much better and cooler air flow on track.

Hey ho, happy with it goes like s**t, diff is incredible

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

e27542169eff4f75970b6e3a32590300.jpg

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Good results, standard rad was always going to be an issue. Only a stop gap though so no harm really. Hopefully testing goes well on the 8th

Also got a link to the turbo you used? Torque did it make

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
So last monday had big troubles with it overheating, so much so the hg was thought to have gone, but was only a scare.

Caused by a didgy t stat. So yeah wasted day that was, got it sorted by changing coolant lines around a bit so all coolant was going through rad, also removed stat which seemed to work.

Went on the dyno today, came away with a f**king brilliant driveable clio at 260bhp @0.7bar. Also on none harsh rollers, dan @ sjm said would make 280 elsewhere haha.

So yeah reason we couldnt push it to 1 bar was again down to overheating issues unfortunately, so new radiator time. Gonna see how Snetterton goes on the 8th with standard rad, as it gets much better and cooler air flow on track.

Hey ho, happy with it goes like s**t, diff is incredible

I commented on a post on tracktime that you put up but when I went to see if it was done the post had gone!?

Anyway good result mate, not far out with my 270bhp/290ftlb guess!!?

I commented on a post on tracktime that you put up but when I went to see if it was done the post had gone!?

Anyway good result mate, not far out with my 270bhp/290ftlb guess!!?
Unfortunately no where near the torque though.

Really strugglinf with torque (it doesnt feel it) but only "made" 210lb ft

7d60576f86e0c114008b88bfe1c125bc.jpg

Unfortunately the gt2871 turbo Im using only really gets going at 1bar, and me not currently running 1 bar makes it run quite low torque.

But the best thing about this is the torque curve, it puts the power down so good! Which i think will be really good for track work!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I'm on 230ftlb and 245bhp it's plenty enough, never really had much problem with grip apart from accelerating out of tight corners, now I have a LSD it's defo sorted that.

I'd totally forgot you were running a gt2871 thought it was a standard 225 turbo! Those produce lots of torque but I think it's kind of a diesel torque band in some cases.... a big lump of it then nothing!!

Clio 182
Think I saw you when I was on the way home from work in the van, well your car on the trailer lol....A350 on the way out of Chippenham
260bhp will be plenty for now I bet, I guess 300bhp odd running a bar of boost?
I'd love my track car to be running 260bhp, jealous haha!

I'm on 230ftlb and 245bhp it's plenty enough, never really had much problem with grip apart from accelerating out of tight corners, now I have a LSD it's defo sorted that.

I'd totally forgot you were running a gt2871 thought it was a standard 225 turbo! Those produce lots of torque but I think it's kind of a diesel torque band in some cases.... a big lump of it then nothing!!

Yep thats one thing I didnt want especially with something as light as the clio.

Think I saw you when I was on the way home from work in the van, well your car on the trailer lol....A350 on the way out of Chippenham
260bhp will be plenty for now I bet, I guess 300bhp odd running a bar of boost?
I'd love my track car to be running 260bhp, jealous haha!

That will be me mate haha so many clios in chippenham on a unrelated note.

Yeah feels really good, bit of torque steer thrown in there to make sure im paying attention and theres not even that much torque lol.

Yeah sorry I was mistaken it isnt 0.7bar im running, its 0.7 psi so half a bar lol.

But yeah not gonna run anymore than a bar as standard internals :) and cba to start spending money on that s**t

Clio 182
It's crazy really how well they go with such low boost/power really for a 2ltr turbo, becaus they're so light I guess....bet the diff really comes into its own as well !
7 psi then, the torque will start climbing when you chuck a bar of boost through it ☺️
I've got a mk1 focus rs as well that runs 1.5 bar of boost all day long on standard everything, always think I'd love that engine/power in my Clio haha.
Out of interest what made you go for the more hassle option of the Megane engine over the standard lump turbo'd with a thicker head gasket for 250 odd bhp?
I'd like to step up from standard power but don't know if I can justify the cost for the gains!

It's crazy really how well they go with such low boost/power really for a 2ltr turbo, becaus they're so light I guess....bet the diff really comes into its own as well !
7 psi then, the torque will start climbing when you chuck a bar of boost through it ☺️
I've got a mk1 focus rs as well that runs 1.5 bar of boost all day long on standard everything, always think I'd love that engine/power in my Clio haha.
Out of interest what made you go for the more hassle option of the Megane engine over the standard lump turbo'd with a thicker head gasket for 250 odd bhp?
I'd like to step up from standard power but don't know if I can justify the cost for the gains!
Haha go for it!

And good question partly because of the gearbox and how its better suited to a bit more powaa and because I wanted to give it a go really, got bored of not tinkering. Although its good in the summer when you have warmish/dryish/long evenings in the winter.. well it certainly tested my patience! Haha

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
How did it go at Snetterton? Is this the first track day for this car?

How did it go at Snetterton? Is this the first track day for this car?
Went very very well mate.

54098563c400ba1b4ea3935059f36acc.jpg

Apart from a few issues: air in the slave cylinder which I can't bleed out = when warm clutch fails.

Brake pedal bias bar getting caught behind the throttle pedal - very scary!

Yeah car was very quick! Happy with it...

But...
Unsure of its future, I want to get on the grid so may be up for sale/breaking it im unsure

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Went very very well mate.

54098563c400ba1b4ea3935059f36acc.jpg

Apart from a few issues: air in the slave cylinder which I can't bleed out = when warm clutch fails.

Brake pedal bias bar getting caught behind the throttle pedal - very scary!

Yeah car was very quick! Happy with it...

But...
Unsure of its future, I want to get on the grid so may be up for sale/breaking it im unsure

Re: the clutch issue.... I'm a Renault tech, they can be a bit of a sod to bleed the air out of, assuming it's the standard slave. A great way to get any remaining air out is to pump up the pedal as good as you can get, say ten pumps, hold the pedal down and crack open the bleed nipple on the slave, then close keeping pedal down. This way the pressure is forced from the slave and the master at the same time... give it a go a few times.

That being said it could be something totally to do with you bespoke set up.

Thought I'd share my experience anyway :)

Re: the clutch issue.... I'm a Renault tech, they can be a bit of a sod to bleed the air out of, assuming it's the standard slave. A great way to get any remaining air out is to pump up the pedal as good as you can get, say ten pumps, hold the pedal down and crack open the bleed nipple on the slave, then close keeping pedal down. This way the pressure is forced from the slave and the master at the same time... give it a go a few times.

That being said it could be something totally to do with you bespoke set up.

Thought I'd share my experience anyway :)
Cool thanks mate, I will try that.

I don't think I primed the slave before I fitting it...

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
School boy error! Seriously though having a pedal in the first place is hell of a bonus. The amount of garages that phone us having issues from fitting the slave dry is crazy, horrendous design

School boy error! Seriously though having a pedal in the first place is hell of a bonus. The amount of garages that phone us having issues from fitting the slave dry is crazy, horrendous design
It was a used 50 mile old one, so I presumed was still wet when I put in and in the rush off things I didnt think to recheck...

Hey ho, but yes I agree awful design!