ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane R26

M135i and the shed
Should be getting these in the car in the next week so how much do you all think a set of low mileage Trendlines are worth without subframes? Not really got an idea as the prices people put them up for seem crazy!

Thoughts?

M135i and the shed
Righto chaps. All being well i'll have them up for sale by the weekend. That's if the Profi SPG fitment goes according to plan...............

Flame Red Delight
Hi mate car looks great, just wondering how much the r26r wheels cost you if you don't mind me asking?

M135i and the shed
Hi mate car looks great, just wondering how much the r26r wheels cost you if you don't mind me asking?

Picked them up secondhand low mileage and had them refurbed so much less than the grand-odd they cost from the stealers.

M135i and the shed
Ok so I've finally worked out a way to get the Profi SPG's in to the car. As the car will remain a fast road/occassional trackday car for the next few years, my requirements for fitment were somewhat more complex than the usual "bolt it to the floor" solution of fitting fixed back seats. As it's a road car and I have no intention of using a harness to drive to the shops I wanted to retain the OEM 3 point belt buckle, keep the OEM pre-tensioner and OEM wiring and to top it off I wanted to keep the seat sliders. Not an easy challenge.

I pondered over the ways I might achieve this, and as usual with these cars, nothing 'off the shelf' was going to do the trick. I looked at some of the OMP and Recaro base mounts but they were ridiculously expensive and also would position the seat too high. I looked at the KTEC mounts but not only would the OEM buckle and pretensioner not fit but the fore and aft seat positioning looked like it wouldn't work with my mounts.

Based upon the above I set about modifying the OEM recaro subframes so that I could retain all the OEM safety devices and wiring. Obviously mounting on top of the OEM subframes would have meant my head would have been on the ceiling so I set about taking 2 inches out of the subframe height and creating a new platform with appropriate rail spacings for the new Profi SPG side mounts. I went round to see a friend at Ninemeister to borrow their facilities for the work. I also came to the realisation that the side mounts I had for the Recaro's were also too high but fortunately Ninemeister had some 911 Lo-Pro Recaro side mounts in stock. Panic over. :)

What seemed like a relatively straight forward cut and weld job required hours of measuring, checking, re-measuring, re-checking, cutting, welding, finishing and spraying. Most of this is probably down to me being a picky bugger and wanting it to look OEM. I'm really chuffed with the results, especially as my dad couldn't tell they'd been 'cut and shut' when I showed him. The end result is a subframe mount that is about the same height at the KTEC side frame mounts but with all the features I wanted. Also, if I wanted (which I never will) I could re-mount a set of Trendlines on top of the new subframes; thety'd just sit a little lower.

I will admit that once I stop pretending it's a road car i'll probably get it stripped out for a weld in cage and have the seats mounted on the deck but for what the car is at the moment I'm really chuffed with the outcome. I reckon the seat base sits about 1" to 1.5" lower than in the Trendlines which will do for now. :)

Pic overload time. ;)

Spot the difference? I'm sure the eagle eyed will be able to tell the subframes have been modified but I reckon they look pretty OEM

IMGP1928Large.jpg

IMGP1911Large.jpg

IMGP1943Large.jpg

IMGP1912Large.jpg

IMGP1924Large.jpg

IMGP1925Large.jpg

IMGP1913Large.jpg

IMGP1949Large.jpg

M135i and the shed
Great work, looks very oem :)

Have you got any more pics/details on how you modified they subframes?

Yep. :)

Like I say, it's basically taking 2 inches off the top, making up some 3mm plates with the correct hole centres made up and welding those to the cut down subframes and structure. Also needs a little cut-out for the pretensioner connector at the top. It sounds simple but the various angles of the OEM subframes make it a bit of a faff to get it looking right.

There's also alot of finishing and spraying involved to make them look OEM and not like they've been rewelded. Pic of the spot welded trial version below. Obviously it was fully welded once I was happy with the alignment. Then a load of refinshing and spraying to get it to look like it does it in the above pictures. ;)

IMG_20120405_132900.jpg

Nimbus Megane R26
Wanna swap R26's? Mines one of only 2 R26's in nimbus...please?!?! WANT your car, it was mint before, but those seats have just upped it another level..

Car is a credit to you fella!!

M135i and the shed
Wanna swap R26's? Mines one of only 2 R26's in nimbus...please?!?! WANT your car, it was mint before, but those seats have just upped it another level..

Car is a credit to you fella!!

Ha, thanks very much. I do like a good Nimbus Meg! :)

M135i and the shed
Bet theres a fair weight saving as well with these in now

Hi David! :)

You're right, the SPG's are about 6.5kg I think and from holding one alongside the Trendlines I reckon there's about 15kg saved in each seat. Subframes and sliders weight alot more than the actual seats now! ;)

ph1 172
Not only were they the seats that I was looking at buying but the same harnesses too!

They look superb mate:)

ph1 172
Best combo IMO, hence why I was going to buy them:)

Now looking at cages.......Custom Cages multi point for me;)

ph1 172
Will be a little while later in the year.....

Only just picked up the car today!

Love the look of your Megane BTW, awesome project:)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'll be honest, this is my favourite Megane ever. It just gets better and better.

Proper colour too. :eek:

I'll have a good look at the next meet mate. I'll sort one out once mine comes.

M135i and the shed
I'll be honest, this is my favourite Megane ever. It just gets better and better.

Proper colour too. :eek:

I'll have a good look at the next meet mate. I'll sort one out once mine comes.

Cheers. Favourite Phase 1 must be TDK though surely?! :)

Meet would be good. Lots to catch up on and need to see this 200. Not sure I actually want to see it as I can be sure I'll want one!

david hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Hi David! :)

You're right, the SPG's are about 6.5kg I think and from holding one alongside the Trendlines I reckon there's about 15kg saved in each seat. Subframes and sliders weight alot more than the actual seats now! ;)

Hi chris nice updates keep them coming :)

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
eeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr why haven't I seen this car before ? its awesome!!! Very, very nice

M135i and the shed
Ok ladies and gents, as you will all know from the previous posts my wheels were up for refurbishment due to a combo of me being a r****d and my tyre fitter having a senior moment.

Obviously the wheels were black shade but i've always had an issue with them being black. As I see it the main problems with black wheels are as follows:

1 - Every boy racer in the world now has gloss black wheels
2 - Any amount of dust or brake dust makes them look crap
3 - Black wheels visually suck the detail out of the wheel
4 - Black wheels look smaller
5 - A bit like white cars (R26R's the exception), I think gloss black has had it's day

So with all that nicely summarised I moved on to deciding what colour to have them refurbished. My main problem was that nobody in the history of the world seems to have had .R wheels done in anything but red or black so whatever I went for would be a 'punt' so to speak.

I settled on dark anthracite and this morning they went in to be done. I have to admit that even up to the point that the tyres were put back on I was doubting i'd made the right decision. Getting them on the car and cleaned up changed that though. I'll freely admit that they're more marmite than a gloss black but I have to say that i'm mega chuffed with them. They really bring out the detail of the wheel, match the carbon well and look a bit more OEM+, which as you all know is my mantra for this car.

Apologies for the phone pics but i'll endevour to get some decent ones at some point. Also apologies for both the car itself being filthy and secondly it having half its door handle missing! (currently being re-carboned as we speak).

Comments and critique welcome. My guess is that reactions will be a bit mixed as i'll freely admit that gloss black is a mega popular choice.

Ready for tyres:

6990511464_3bccaacaf0_b.jpg

IMG_20120502_181027 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

Before centre caps:

7136598853_5f3db33c8b_b.jpg

IMG_20120502_190945 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

And complete:

6990509758_1c8a74527d_b.jpg

IMG_20120502_195857 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

6990516550_cd08f0d20f_b.jpg

IMG_20120502_195505 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

Next up for the car is a bit of 6 month servicing, a detail and some replacement of some interior and exterior trim parts to keep it looking fresh. Cheers for looking.

M135i and the shed
You are doing everything the way I would want it done if it was my car, no skimping:approve:

No scrimping but god it's taken a fair amount of time and effort to get to this point. Onwards and upwards though as this car is going to be with me for some time. :)

340i
FFS.

They look absolutely amazing Chris, I think the colour goes perfectly with the rest of the car :)