ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK 1 Old School... Turbo

Punto/Clio GTT
some goodies arrived, pissing down with rain though :(

imag0190cs.jpg

Punto/Clio GTT
few more goodies arrived today, engine dressing and my dremmel tool thing

cut out exhaust recess and taped up any bare wires in engine bay, covered some wires too, ill get pctire of engine bay tomorrow, looks bit better

imag0194lu.jpg

first cut

imag0196h.jpg

imag0197v.jpg

imag0200sb.jpg

might tinker with it a bit more, but its alright tbh, will look fine when its on the car and my exhausts lifted slightly

Punto/Clio GTT
bleh, put my new horn on and still dont work :(, the indicator works so im guessing it aint the stalk, ill have to test the wires see if im getting power to to the horn or not.

think im gonna leave this boost controller off and just have it at around 13-14psi, gonna save me a lot of problems i guess, i was gonna mount it and it just didnt look right anywhere

took my car next door to the garage and asked about the coolant as i still couldnt get the air lock out, they said to jack the one side up, leave the cap off overnight and also i need to get a new fan unit for the blowers as that will prevent me from bleeding the system properly, so ill pick that up on monday off matbrown and just leave it for now

fir my silvervisions in the front of the car, look better, also fit my new boost gauge, popped to my friends house and hes gonna make me up a custom mount and tray for in the dash. gonna have the boost gauge in a box, then a tray in the other half with some anti slip mat cut to size. just gotta make a template out of cardboard, get measurements n give em to him. few pics today, nothing great, raining again!

imag0215bql.jpg

found out the bulbs didnt fit as the pins were different to mine, so had the idea of shaving one of the pins off, worked! bulbs are still secure

imag0226f.jpg

imag0229t.jpg

imag0233ov.jpg

before

imag0213tn.jpg

imag0220y.jpg

comparrison

imag0223nx.jpg

after

imag0221o.jpg

tomorrow im gonna mock up this box and tray and i got a spoiler i gotta prep for a friend, if my sump plug socket comes ill do an oil n filter change too

Punto/Clio GTT
sweet! my step dad just brought round his friend whos an electrician, he tested my horn loom and concluded theres a break somewhere between the fusebox and the horn. got some wire and went from fuse box to horn and it worked, so just gotta splice that in tomorrow.

also tested my heaters as they didnt work, tested the block and its getting power, so its definatly the fan or resister thats on it (which im getting tomorrow). so a good evening knowing that my electric niggles are nothing major and easy fixes :)

Punto/Clio GTT
gotta save up for a compressor and paint -.-

ya know i was looking at arctic blue 182's today and i love the colour, but i know itd be stupid to do it, has anyone painted a mk1 arctic blue yet?

whites the sensible (and easy/cheaper) option, but im just thinking, i can do it whatever colour i like really!

Punto/Clio GTT
went n saw mr matbrown last night, picked up more parts. (you know how hungry i was after smelling them fajitas??)

williams/16v brake conversion good to go, just need some brake fluid

imag0243t.jpg

imag0246mi.jpg

rear lapbelt n belt anchors

imag0244bh.jpg

new fan unit

imag0247lx.jpg

new door cards, quarter cards and roof lining

imag0248sl.jpg

imag0249g.jpg

shame im flued up or i'd be out there messing with stuff -.-

MK1 GTT.
hi mate. you may no all this by now but im going to try and help you out.

the half moon bracket you took off the turbo is not broken. there should be two of them, it stops the rear exhaust housing trying to spin off your compressor housing.

the bit you have broken on the turbo (actuator arm) is the bit that gives you more boost. the more you wind it in the more boost you get due to it putting more tension across your wastegate.

to bleed the coolant system, guaranteed best way is to use two people.. one person blow in the header tank and the other undo the bleed nipples one at a time starting with the smaller hose. (both hoses go to water pump, one is the large hose coming from the radiator), blow until all the air comes out then re insert nipple.

i personally wouldnt bother with a bleed valve. just wind it to 14psi and drive steady when you need to. i would however as already mentioned get your air fuel ratio checked (afr's) on a rolling road.. or the best investment for the gtt is the wideband kit which reads your afr constantly.

i have never used the choke on mine and it is my daily driver. ticks over for ten mins at about 700rpm then i see around 900rpm when warm. try turning your idle screw up on your carb. its what the accelerator sits on with no revs applied.

if theres anything else you need some advice on just holla.

oh and p.s the £25.00 you pay for rtoc will be the best £25.00 you spend whilst running a c1j engine.

Punto/Clio GTT
cheers dude, ill get my dad round tomorrow to do the nipples while i blow down it. proper nasty stuff though, had the taste of coolant in my mouth for 2 days after i did it last time, yak

yeah ive binned the bleed valve idea completely, ill just get it all set up running 1bar.

ill be hopefully taking it somewhere once ive painted it to get it rr'd and the afr done and all checked thats its running properly as that stuff just goes over my head.

tomorrow im gonna be doing the horn, gotta feed a wire to the fusebox and run it along the front panel to the horn. also gonna do this oil change, only thing is to get the oil filter off ive gotta take the big top hose off the radiator, aint that gonna make all my new coolant go on the floor or wont i lose that much that i can top it off with water?

i have to use the choke on mine tbh. to start it up the choke has to be off, but i rev it slightly, weirdly it wont start with the choke on when cold. then i have to idle it at about 1200rpm, then after its warmed up i can turn the choke off, but the car shakes, not violently, just like its about to stall, like it drops to around 500rpm then goes upto 700rpm.

i dont really wanna mess with the carb unless its something i definatly aint gonna break anything by doing so, is it simply a screw that determines the idle tickover or does it controll something else too? like i aint gonna start kangarooing down the road by messing with it am i?

lastly i gotta change the calipers/discs and ive never done it before, would you say give it a go or just take it to garage to do?

think ill sign up to rtoc when its on the road, atm im saving for compressor and few other bits!

MK1 GTT.
no mate its literally just the tickover rpm. a flat headed screw in like a p clip. nothing else will be affected by altering this. its on back of carb on drivers side. screw it in a touch while its ticking over.

for your filter jack the car up and get it from underneath, its a tight squeeze but you dont have to take anything off, the filter is normally on good so the old screwdriver through the filter trick may be needed.

brakes are easy to do but as its your first attempt and your talking about kids in the car i would get somebody competent to do it tbh.

and lastly... blow in the coolant tank.. not suck haha.. if you dont want to blow you can lift the coolant bottle as high as you can then undo the nipples one at a time.

hope this helps. good luck!

Punto/Clio GTT
nah it had overflowed previously and the excess from around the rim went all in my mouth when i blew down it (you know how strange all this sounds lol)

ill jack it up and see if i can it from underside, didnt think of that

MK1 GTT.
where abouts in the midlans are you?
and looking at the your pics your new actuator arm looks a little large.. have you sized it up to the old one?

MK1 GTT.
mine hasnt been rr'd. ive set all mine up myself with wideband. its going to efi parts sometime soon hopefully to get a power run in but its quete far away i think.

MK1 GTT.
effectivley a lambda sensor welded into your downpipe which reads your air/fuel ratio. easy to fit and a must with these IMO, and if your comftorbale with tinkering with carbs you can tune it your self for higher boost simply by boring out the fuel jets and testing by means of your air fuel ratio.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
what is wideband? heard of it but what is it?

Its a lamda sensor that reads mixture over a wide band of ranges.
A standard lambda only reads in a very very narrow range, just a few tenths of a point either side of stoich basically. (ie it will only read accurately at around 14.7:1 on a petrol car)

When you are running a turbo engine you want typically to be in the 11s for AFR, so you need a wide band sensor to see if you are, as a narrow band will just read "fully rich" the moment you are under about 14.5

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
200 quid ish to buy one, you can install it yourself no bother, although you might need to weld a bung on your downpipe if you havent got one already.

Or when its on the road, drive it down to me and I will put my one on it which has an adaptor to go up the exhaust tailpipe anyway.

Punto/Clio GTT
will take you up on that!

couldnt do much today, raining and im flued up. removed the alloy sheets that were in the doorcards and put the originals back in.

also fit the new actuator rod end and the thread fits, but the actual end is too thick that i cant get the retaining clip on -.-

so im either gonna grind it down to make it thinner, or just leave the clip off, shouldnt come off tbh, seems solid enough

imag0253oe.jpg

imag0256ah.jpg

imag0257zy.jpg

Punto/Clio GTT
oil n filter changed, ballache, but done

imag0258o.jpg

imag0259l.jpg

imag0261t.jpg

rad out job, wouldnt budge

imag0263fm.jpg

imag0264v.jpg

imag0269ji.jpg

old oi, didnt see any bits in it, was clean enough, just black!

also rebled the coolant system, ran outta petrol so couldnt bring it upto temp >.< will do it over the weekend if i get chance

Punto/Clio GTT
fit rear quarter cards, rear lapbelt, roof trim, gonna paint the lining then fit that.

found out my rads got a leak in it so need a new rad, can someone confirm that this is a mk1 clio rad or is it a r5gtt?

imag0263fm.jpg

also where can i get a radiator from? seems they dont sell em on GSF website

Punto/Clio GTT
one thing thats bothering me. on the side of my rad, i have 2 pipes going in, they are metal pipes and im pretty sure they are oil lines? on rads i look at they dont have the threads for the oil lines to screw onto. why do i have oil going to the rad and will i need to get an identical rad or can i abandon the oil lines or something?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
ITs fcuked.

You're better off scrapping the s**t. You'll never finish it. Not before mine anyway....

Punto/Clio GTT
yep thats it... on google few of the aftermarket rads come with or without a cooler

sweet cheers mate

so the oil cooler on the side, does that help cool the rad or does the rad cool the oil?

secondly, do i need to fill the rad up with oil before i put it back on or does the engine pump it round when the engines running so i just top up the actual engine oil when the rads fitted?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My car's being primered on friday...

You bringing it to CSS? Are you even coming to CSS?