ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Re: Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project

That's rubbish mate...hope you get it sorted soon :)

Craig.M

ClioSport Club Member
  Valver, Octavia vRS

Real shame about the engine dude, hope you get it sorted soon tho

Brought the engine (and lots of other bits) back home earlier so I can rip it apart..

IMG_4786.jpg

..oh, and the back of the block is cracked too. As you can see, there has been some leakage..

IMG_4782.jpg

Excellent! :)

Well I reckon so with it being both front and back, either way its going down the scrapper once its stripped. I have two spare blocks but both are f*cked after looking last night, one has a scored bore and the other has a couple of bent oil jets.... so back on the hunt looking for something usable!

New low miler block and crank collected yesterday, Hopefully get the machine work sorted this week and other parts collected ready to build it up..

216509_10150280729808047_792028046_9404763_7077389_n.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Similar / same build as previous lump? To keep costs down, or are you going to do a bit more for a few other ponies

Similar / same build as previous lump? To keep costs down, or are you going to do a bit more for a few other ponies

Yeah 100% standard... Probably ARP rod bolts as i know someone selling an unused set, but apart from that a complete zero miler pretty much.

It will give me more of a chance of being able to sell it on when I break the car..

Good luck with it Jord, if you need anything else then get in touch.

Cheers, will do!

Continued doing a bit of the engine today... couple of other things to start with though...

Lovely DS2500s after plenty of use...

IMG_4813.jpg

My rear Gaz adjustable shocks need rebuilding as one of the adjusters will not work and they are generally in a right state, so they are being sent off to Gaz for a rebuild which is suprisingly cheap..

IMG_4818.jpg

Anyway onto the engine stuff. Removed the old rings from the 'new' pistons...

IMG_4802.jpg

Crank looks in good condition, very clean..

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

Block is very clean also, dropping it off for a deck and hone tomorrow...

IMG_4797.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

Then started to strip my engine apart to remove the head, so I can send it for a skim at the same time...

IMG_4793.jpg

Although hit quite a big problem when 2 of the 10 headbolts basically disintegrated when undoing them, the teeth of the E-Torx literally snapped off. Soooo the head is stuck on the bottom end for now...

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg

F*cking joke, is it a sign?!

Evo 5 RS

that does look completely knackered lol. Look at it this way, things can only get better??? Just a bolt

225 powered mk2

Ahh hope you get it sorted dude, i had this problem with my head, only one bolt bit the dust though, had to drill it out in the end though.

172 Race Car

Can you not smash a standard socket on there? If not im sure the machine shop will sort it. Not the end of the world

Yeah its not the worst thing thats happened...but its just more effort + cost if I dont mill it myself... Wasnt meant to be spending anything on it this year yet its turned into £xxx's now I'm having to do all this :boring:

bit off topic how much was it to have the gaz rear shocks refurbed mate

£12 each + Return Postage

Tried a few other things on the head bolts tonight, smashing sockets over them etc, basically just disentegrated the more I tried. Gave up and took the sump off so it will sit flat on a mill, hopefully have the heads milled off later this week :dead:

Cro

Meg'd r27

Jeepers is that standard price or do you know them or something Jord? I thought it was more than that

Engine dropped off at machine shop today for heads to be removed, so should have that back soon. Also dropped all my brackets/subframe/ARB/wishbones off at the powdercoaters, back next week.

Mark, yeah it was Gaz! and Cro yep standard price....although if they need new rods its about double that. We'l see when they come back :)

Got round to sorting my spare bonnet today (that I got over a year ago), as I've always wanted to sack the rear catch off and just have four aerocatches. The back of the bonnet had already been half cut out due to it being on another Mk1 last year, so I started by finishing removing the second skin..

IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg

Ended up getting it all neat, left the catch on for now for lining up purposes...

IMG_4830.jpg

Sat it on the car, marked where the holes/pins needed to go, and made a template. Drew the template onto the bonnet then checked the location of it 500times with the opposite side to make sure it was the same...

IMG_4838.jpg

IMG_4837.jpg

Then, a 25mm and 45mm hole saw through the ends and a grinder to cut the straights...

IMG_4840.jpg

...and you are left with...

IMG_4834.jpg

Then a couple of half round files to open the holes out to the perfect size for the aerocatch...

IMG_4836.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4842.jpg

Lastly I cut the catch off leaving only a small bit of metal for the vent to mount into. All four cutouts had their mounting holes drilled with a 4mm drill bit before checking everything lined up. Now its ready to be painted back and front. Il post up more info on how I've mounted the rear pins to the cage when I get round to finishing it off...

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_4849.jpg

Picked up some paint...

IMG_4844.jpg

Then dropped it off to be sprayed. Il get some 'finished' pictures when I have it back :)

Its been milled off Chris, just need to pick it up.

Steve, yes ;) Looks scabby as f*ck in rattle can black. Rest of the car is finished to a good standard so it would be silly not to!

Not a clue, but put it this way... When I come to break it il make a profit due to selling everything ive had in the past at a profit

Black 172

yet more cheating lol. Surprised you have floors and wheel arches in the car now you have a cage in

yet more cheating lol. Surprised you have floors and wheel arches in the car now you have a cage in

LOL. Its been cut out since 2008, keep up ;)

You aint breaking it!! Ive told you this

I want it!

We'l see ;)

Got the head/old block back today with the head removed, took him a while to mill the heads off the bolts but the head is all intact so I can carry on!

IMG_0265.jpg

Then got on with removing the valves so I can drop the head and new block off tomorrow for the machine work to be done...

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

More soon...

Engine block and head were dropped off a few days ago to have the machine work done, so I should have those back early next week. I also had a phone call from Gaz yesterday saying my shocks are ready, which was a pretty quick turnaround!

Picked up the subfame/brackets/everything that had been powder coated yesterday also. Originally everything was going to be done black again, but ended up getting it done the color you see for half the cost :)

IMG_4851.jpg

IMG_4853.jpg

Started by cleaning up the old bushes as they were pretty manky, wonder wheels did the trick..

IMG_4854.jpg

Copper greased the inside of the sleeves...

IMG_4860.jpg

Pressed them into place..

IMG_4861.jpg

Then fitted the center sleeves...

IMG_4862.jpg

Next was to fit a new R5GTX rubber to my 5th mount, as the other one had been on for over a year...

IMG_4868.jpg

I also thought that these would probably need replacing..

IMG_4858.jpg

So picked up a new pair earlier last week for a couple of quid each, who says 1*2 ball joints aren't available separately? They are the same as many other Renault models. Fitted them to the wishbones with the Williams strengthening/bracing plates..

IMG_4869.jpg

Then got the subframe out so I could fit the wishbones to it..

IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

Then hit a problem as I realised the ARB I got from Bongy is actually a Trophy ARB so its slightly too wide for the Mk1 Subframe..

IMG_4872.jpg

Although nothing I cant sort with a bit of modification today ;) I left it at that with the subframe, will probably carry on with it later today.

Early last week I finally got my other hub sorted (after 7 months), after this: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ssis-Rebuild&p=7000994&viewfull=1#post7000994 - Basically had another stub machined up, then got four more studs. Pressed it all together with a new bearing so I am now left with two studded hubs ready to use :)

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

Oh, and these arrived for the back of the bonnet too...

IMG_4864.jpg

Just waiting for it to be back from being painted now. More later!