ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Yeah, I thought it might when I first offered it up so decided to put some on at the same time. Hopefully will have a complete engine tonight, just the head to do then time the new belt kit up!

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
i was being half sarcastic but knowing you it will be in tomorrow.

you rebuild the head or leaving it. i can't remember what you said you were going to do.

Yeah, had it skimmed/dipped and got all new stem seals to fit this evening. Then just the valves to go back in and put it onto the bottom end, time it up and its pretty much done :)

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Dont do things by half eh? Cracking work mate! If i ever meet you in person, forgive me if i bow down lol

Bit more done last night, got delayed and had a few other things to do so I didnt get as much done as I would have liked...

New crank seals..

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg

Removed old stem seals from the head...

IMG_5055.jpg

IMG_5053.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

New stem seals ready to fit...

IMG_5054.jpg

Valves lapped into the head...

IMG_5064.jpg

Valves fully fitted...

IMG_5065.jpg

Quick leakdown test, all fine!

IMG_5066.jpg

Headgasket fitted to the block..

IMG_5057.jpg

IMG_5067.jpg

Bolted the head on with new head bolts and torqued up to specification...

IMG_5070.jpg

Lifters/Rockers and Cams in place and rocker cover fitted...

IMG_5074.jpg

Finally the oil seperator/breather plate put in place...

IMG_5077.jpg

...and it was left at that. Will probably do the cambelt later and bolt everything else to it!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Can we put this in my car please Jord? You can have mine in exchange?

It's a good deal, honest.

Cracking work mate, I know I've said it before but it always impresses me the skills you've learnt since you first started messing with that 1.2.

Got the engine built up a couple of nights ago including a new waterpump and new cambelt kit..

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

Refitted the lower inlet, then the flywheel and clutch...

IMG_5090.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

Attached the mounts to the gearbox and checked it went onto the block easy enough (i.e. if the clutch is lined up)..

IMG_5095.jpg

Then the next evening set about dropping it into the car...

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

The front end was then built up with hubs/discs/calipers/shocks and setup. Ive since fitted the alternator setup and a few other bits. Going to crack on this evening with all the other little bits like rear shocks, coolant system and engine loom. It will be nearly ready to run in then... More later.

The engine looks brilliant Jord. I hope you realise you've missed the chance to swap now... lol

Haha, lets hope it all works this weekend then!

Looks fantastic mate.

Cheers.

Also its less than a week to go until Mallory and luckily only got a few bits to sort now bar the running in. Trailer was arranged this morning so everything seems to be dropping into place for once!

340i
Looking good Jord! brilliant pace you have worked though this...

Is the car still road registered?

How are you looking to run the engine in?

Its SORN Gray, never going back on the road. Although I have 'off road' arrangements for running it in so its all sorted. Couple of hundred miles on mineral oil later this bank holiday weekend then it should be set to go for Mallory :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
The orange bits look great.

I've lost count how many times you've rebuilt engines. Very impressive, i suppose practice makes perfec ;)

Will do!

Well, lots of progress today. The car is 99% done, just needs the new bonnet fitting along with the scuttle panel/wipers/etc. Also had a bit of a mare with euro car parts not ordering the track rod ends in when they said they would, so ive only got a new one fitted to the O/S, the N/S will have to be done in the week.

Its literally just been a day of bolting bits back on, new exhaust manifold gasket, new rear shocks fitted, then the loom and ECU, coolant system, etc etc. Filled up the gearbox oil, engine oil and bled the brakes through. Everything went smoothly and it just needs the engine running in now :)

IMG_5111.jpg

IMG_5114.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

IMG_5104.jpg

I will get some better pictures when the rest is done in a couple of days time :boring:

Not yet, probably will do tomorrow. We've tested the ECU on Adams though, all OK, so I've only got to hope my engine is fine too!

you're obviously more patient than me, I've fired them up with open headers and no cooling at 3am just to be sure that its worth adding all the other bits :D

true, plenty of time yet. I've fired up in a lay-by at 1am on a Sunday having realised that I haven't actually started a new engine on the way to a race :S

Sunflower Ph1 172
Really looking forward to a few laps in the dry on slicks.. fingers crossed for the weather holding off, and my hangove not being too intense.

Nearly Rob, nearly.

Just literally got in, had a f**king mare trying to run it in. Firstly this morning it was miss firing, turns out one of the 'new' injectors I got from here was knackered, fitted another and all seemed OK. Went to run it in and the alternator ended up dying, so fitted Adams to carry on. Then got a bit further and it started backfiring/miss firing/cutting out as if there was no spark (or intermittent spark) so I think its the coil pack, unfortunately my spare is completely dead too. Hopefully I can find one tomorrow as its only had about 20 miles on it :(

Last edited:
Just got in after another late one, engine is now run in and ready to go.

Everything seems OK, no bad noises and seems to run smoothly. Brakes need another bleed through and o-ring on the thermostat needs swapping but apart from that its not far off ready. Started by pissing around swapping spark plugs, coilpacks and HT leads to no avail, until I noticed the connection for the TDC sensor was a really wobbly/loose fit. Managed to get a cable tie round it to hold it tight and its lasted for circa 110+ miles. I need to get a spare just in case though!

Proper update tomorrow :sleepy: