ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

172 Race Car
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

ah yea spotted now. Didnt realise it came out of the loom there.

Interesting stuff, good work. I really should tidy mine like this but cba

god almighty! if my engine wiring loom goes again (and its a renault so it will tbh) you ok to fix it for a rack 'o' ribs with JD sauce??

330i. E30 Touring.

Jesus! Top work. I really wouldn't even know where to begin with this sort of thing.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

top work though fella, and thumbs up for documenting it in case anyone else wants to have a go

makes me want to rip my dash loom out and start again, making a neater job now i know where everything needs to be

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

I did it all for him TBH.

He just made my coffee and took the pretty pictures.

;)

Cracking work.

Where did you learn all this stuff? Do they teach this sort of thing at school oop north? lol..

wait and see ;)

Cracking work.

Where did you learn all this stuff? Do they teach this sort of thing at school oop north? lol..
LOL the school me n jordan went to teaches you absolutely nothing at all, jam butty school as i call it, nocked on at your house before jordan you ignorant sod wouldnt like you come to the door :rasp:

Cracking work.

I wish lol, learn as i go along ;)

LOL the school me n jordan went to teaches you absolutely nothing at all, jam butty school as i call it, nocked on at your house before jordan you ignorant sod wouldnt like you come to the door :rasp:

was that you......i was in bed LOL

Ian

Focus TDCi

What you're doing now Jord will most likely come in extremely useful at uni, if they do the same stuff that they're doing with us at the mo in third year. We've got to wire up a Honda CBR600 Motorbike engine and get it running and then modify it to run from a control panel with a dyno. Seems like a one-off thing, but you never know. Good work as always dude!

M

mini-valver

Peice of piss when its laid out eh! Mk1 wiring is so much simpler than this mk2 ph2 crap with UCH's!

Just got a bit pissed off with the Mk2 wiring tracing the ecu diagnostic lines through, as I couldnt be arsed taking all the tape off....

Figured it out now, although....still dont see where the white connector block from the 172 engine loom plugs into on a 172, there is nothing on the interior loom that it goes into :S

Day 136

Had a few more wires to run to complete the loom tonight, these included the two diagnostic pins on the ECU connector, so I can wire up the OBD connector inside the car. Instead of running bare wires through the engine bay from the ECU to the inside, I decided to wire the pins into the spare unused connections on the connector blocks...alot tidier.

Also speaking to Matteh after noticing the 'Shift Light Output' on the ECU pinout, asked him had he got it working, although he has yet to, I decided to run the wire from the pin through another spare slot on the connector block incase I can ever get it working, hopefully I will.

This resulted in 3 wires coming from the ECU connector...

IMG_0936.jpg

Into the spare slots on one of the connector blocks...

IMG_0938.jpg

Also wired in a second oil pressure wire, as the 172 only has an oil pressure sensor to show the light on the dash, not to show the operating pressure. I am going to run the Mk1 Oil pressure sender on the F4R, to allow the oil pressure guage to work, this is why the second wire is required...

Took a bit of time to trace and remove the OBD connector from the 172 interior loom also, eventually worked it out and removed it, this will be wired onto the other side of the connector blocks on the inside of the car, matching the slots that the ECU has been wired to (as above)...

IMG_0942.jpg

More soon!

Last edited:

i really dont see the point in putting a 2l into a car that has a 1.8. it's completely pointless i tell you! why not just stick with the 1.8 and give the 2l to someone you know with a small engine as a late xmas present?

;) looking forward to this being up and running lad, shotgun a go out in it when there is no chance of things going wrong ;)

Hopefully everything will work out how im thinking, lol

Double checked all the engine loom, and started re-wrapping it, so thats that out of the way...

Also stripped some of the 172 engine down earlier, Air-Con/PAS/Alternator removed and the brackets, ready to fit the other stuff...

HPRSV no BAcon

this is all good stuff i have learnt a lot from reading this. though it took me 4 hours to read all the posts like a docu drama :) having seen the car at meets etc i had no idea that so much had gone in to it

Day 138

Firstly, little bit of fun...

IMG_0954.jpg

Quite a while til those go on yet though, lol...anyway...

Finished (ish) the engine loom before, everything is wired in that needs to be, onto the valver connector blocks, ready to plug and play, ive just gotta sort the constant lives (top left).

All in all, Removed from the loom was: Air Con Wiring x 2, Speedo Sensor Wiring, 172 Oil Level Wiring, 172 Alternator Wiring, Carbon Canister Wiring, Power Steering Sensor Wiring, and quite a few wires that lead back to the ECU from the 172 connector block.

Added to the loom was: Mk1 Oil Level/Temp Wiring, Mk1 Oil Pressure Sender Wiring (To allow the Mk1 Oil Pressure Guage to work), Mk1 Alternator Wiring, Mk1 Coolant Temprature Sensor to run alongside the 172 Coolant Temprature Sensor (Mk1 Sensor Drives the Dash, 172 Drives the ECU)....Plus a few other bits added for the future, the two OBD-II diagnostic lines to the ECU (Ran back to the Mk1 Connector blocks to keep it tidy), and the signal wire for the Shift Indicator Light from the ECU in the same fashion.

IMG_0957.jpg

Bit of an update on the 172 engine also, stripped the Air Con, PAS, Alternator and all the brackets off, then made some space in the factory to put the engine onto the stand so I can paint it up, do my stuff to it, fit the manual alternator brackets to loose the PAS, etc...

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

While I was at it, I removed the flywheel, might get it lightened and balanced, not sure yet....dont know how to tell if its in good condition or not? Looks like a few sort of 'burn' marks on the clutch face...

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

Anyone care to advise?

Anyway, this is the next thing to approach fully, the Valver interior loom...lol

IMG_0960.jpg

And ive set about refurbing these as a spare set of wheels, got them with the blue valver :)

IMG_0965.jpg

More Soon!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Good luck with that Valver loom!

I'd just explode if that task was mine lol

Impressive stuff!

M

mini-valver

Jord, I did mine in the car but the interior loom is a peice of piss.

Mint work so far lad! That clutch just looks like there's been a slight oil leak once apon a time, new clutch and plates, check crank seal and the inside of the box for signs of oil then refit.

I havent got the box, nearly new valver box is going on ;)

Going to get a new clutch, going to check it over properly now its up on a stand, should be easy...

Interior is easy aye, thing is, I didnt label anything as I took it out lol, and the rear part of the loom is still in, need to sort the lot out really

320d

Patience of a saint Jord.

I would get pissed off after about 30 mins of messing with that loom. A bit of ICE wiring, and maybe the odd thing, but an entire loom, not for me.

Have you found a place to put it yet?

nope, the last place was a massive fail :(

Been onto estate agents today....waiting back from them!

330i. E30 Touring.

Top notch, as always. The only thread I check religiously.

The turbines are going to look awesome!

Day 139

Put two tyres on the turbines so I could drop the hybrid back on its wheels (so I can tow it when I find somewhere, and to keep my mum happy, lol)...Looks so high with no engine in :(

IMG_0970.jpg

Engine went onto the stand yesterday, so much easier to work on...

IMG_0973.jpg

Cambelt covers off, all looks pretty newish...Ive been informed its an aftermarket tensioner (Matteh :)), so it must have been replaced at least once...

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

Few drips of oil out of this hole....dont know where from?

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

Going to check the timing tommorow and check its all good, and will probably leave this belt on for now, until everythings sorted and running nice :)

More soon...