ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Day 141

Was going to take the sump off today and have a nosey, plus its being replaced anyway...

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

Bought it like that, getting a replacement shortly. As I went to remove it I realised the engine stand bolts onto part of the sump, so It cant be removed on the stand, fail :(

Also took the inlets off...

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

And the thermostat housing...

IMG_1031.jpg

To something the previous owner left me (Bottom hole)

IMG_1038.jpg

Few random pics, lower inlet...

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

Thank god im doing this in the factory and not at home in the cold on the driveway, alot of warmth ftw!

IMG_1045.jpg

Also, cheers to Chris for the Kill/Cut Off switch to go on my 172 engine loom...

IMG_1047.jpg

Going to do some modification to the thermostat housing tommorow, along with checking the timing, and probably start painting the block...More soon...

Not a hole, just a crack, it seems its on the lowest lowest point, bought it like that, wanted to get the sump off to check everything over

A silver one

Question? What is a Hybrid?

Been a member on here for years and still don't know?

Did it leak? Not been run with no oil I hope

The guy who I bought it off did it lifting the engine out of his car into his garage I was told...hence why I want to strip it down to double check

Question? What is a Hybrid?

Been a member on here for years and still don't know?

A car that has a different engine from what it originally came with generally, i.e. 1.8l to 2.0l

Skoda Fabia vRS

that inlet looks like its been done with a dremel !.......who did that ?

Day 142

Got quite a bit done on the car itself today, already had the interior loom out, but wanted to remove the rest of the loom...I also wanted to remove some other bits like the blower unit under the scuttle and the rooflining...

Blower unit out, also removed the wiper linkage and washer bottle to get access to more wiring, and found some more sound deadning/tar...

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

Next removed the rear part of the loom...

IMG_1057.jpg

Then the rooflining...

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

That then allowed me to remove the wiring that goes up to the top under the lining, for the interior light, etc...Also removed both door looms...

IMG_1073.jpg

Oddly I found a paintbrush on top of the fuel tank, ive never had the cover off before...god knows how it got there!

IMG_1075.jpg

The car is now stripped bare of wiring, apart from the small amount linking the engine bay connections to the interior, which will be removed shortly.

Im removing all the wiring, as its being mostly chopped up, and im routing it in a completely different way to hide it all...

I took my 172 thermostat housing to a local engineering place also, as I know the person that owns it. I got him to drill me a perfectly sized hole to accept the Valver/Mk1 coolant temprature sensor...

I probably could have done it, but its far easier with proper drill bits. Picking up some sealing washers/o-rings and a thin nut tommorow...

He also managed to get the snapped bolts thread out of the hole it was in, took a bit longer than expected as the drill he was using went a bit too far and snapped inside the hole, then had to drill the drillbit out :boring: got there in the end though...

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

Got on with chopping a bit of the main interior and door looms up also. Removed all the audio/headunit wiring, the heater matrix wiring, electric window wiring, electric mirror wiring, and a few other bits, still LOADS more to come out...

All thats left in the door connector, the central locking wires...

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

Removed the pins for all the other un-required wires from the connectors too, to keep it tidy...

IMG_1084.jpg

The interior loom...

IMG_1083.jpg

Fuse/relay box will be gone shortly, along with all the rest of the crap. Going to be re-locating the fuses/relays, into new holders out of the way...

IMG_1085.jpg

More soon!

Focus RS Mk1

good effort matey, great level of dedication.

mistake taking out the heater matrix though. i did this in my saxo track car. was a nightmare. for the weight you save its really not worth the hassle.

any amount of rain and you will steam up inside...its constantly freezing inside, just not worth it. UNLESS you get a heated front screen, then its totally worth it :)

good effort matey, great level of dedication.

mistake taking out the heater matrix though. i did this in my saxo track car. was a nightmare. for the weight you save its really not worth the hassle.

any amount of rain and you will steam up inside...its constantly freezing inside, just not worth it. UNLESS you get a heated front screen, then its totally worth it :)

im looking into that as we speak, but if not, i have another plan, watch this space :)

Burg 172-Charge Ti Duster

Wowzar Mate! Thats an awesome read, read your Looowwwww Ph2 progress thread when you'd done all you did to it too!

Great knowledge and awesome detail! Look forward to seeing the finished article.

Adam

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

foxy, have you decided what to do about the ign lives?

i'm trying to find some sort of proper distribution block, but cant find anything suitable (all of the stuff that comes up is for audio, and is fused, which i dont need)

foxy, have you decided what to do about the ign lives?

i'm trying to find some sort of proper distribution block, but cant find anything suitable (all of the stuff that comes up is for audio, and is fused, which i dont need)

Which ignition lives, the interior or exterior loom?

sorry, interior

not sure...had a bit of a change today, pissed off with how messy the mk1 loom acctually is, and I want to relocate alot of the wires etc...

Spent the past few hours making drawings of whats needed, and whats not...going to start one from scratch...

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

exactly what i am thinking of doing!

i have everything working now, so its just a case of re-routing/extending/shortening wires to tidy it all up

its just the whole dash out (well whats left of it) and start again that i am reluctant to do :(

but i'm still not sure what to do with all the ign lives, either keep the connector block i have at the min, or use something else.

exactly what i am thinking of doing!

i have everything working now, so its just a case of re-routing/extending/shortening wires to tidy it all up

its just the whole dash out (well whats left of it) and start again that i am reluctant to do :(

Yeah well its empty at the moment, just spent ages looking through the RS components catalouge, finding connector blocks with enough 'amp' rating to take some of the fatter wires (ignition, etc) as most of them are max 15a!

Just in the middle of sorting a fusebox/relay holder into unit, then going to start from there I rekon. Il keep the front part of the loom (headlights etc), and the rear for the boot, but apart from that, going to start it from scratch I rekon...

wait and see ;)

yeh cheers for the badges danny;) lol, looks like its comeing on good mate keep it goin:)

Skoda Fabia vRS

Demon Tweeks have a fantastic range of wiring connectors, look in the motorsport catalogue

yeah got it here, very expensive compared to RS though :(, looking at pence per connector, I can get away with the minimum order limit too