ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

interesting, well I bumped the Kam racing AST thread before, if there is no reply by the morning im gona chase a refund...

ive had to update too, i dunno where u get ur dollar from u warrington hustla!

looks amazing already and that starter is summit else!

;)

sorry about the lack of decent updates, been busy trying to get loads done!

Wiring is there now, everything working, all tidy inside, can only see two runs of conduit (clocks and stalks)....OBD port is located above the pedals, too...

Finished a few other things, modified the throttle cable bracket I made, and painted it again...fits nice now.

Also set about solving another little issue, with the 172 conversion you have to remove the rain catcher from behind the vent on the bonnet, as the inlet manifold is in the way. This leaves the coilpack open and exposed right behind the vent, to direct water etc etc....so decided to blank it off.

Bit of sheet metal shaped, painted matt black, put in from the back and tigersealed into place...

DSC00404.jpg

sorted. Will do some proper updates over the next few days, but getting there slowly :)

lack of updates yet again, but meh been hard at work!

Engine bay tidied up, ECU mounted, cables all tidy. Front bumper re-fitted, bonnet pins setup, etc.

Spent a while profiling the seat bars I had made (70x30x3mm channeling) to fit the floorpan, welder is coming down tommorow to have a go, and see how far we get....cage footplates too maybe, as they came with the cage, just need welding in.

Should be getting some stuff back this weekend, Ph1 Tailgate, Ph1 Mirrors, Doorhandles, Williams Spoiler, all freshly painted too...

Not much else to update really, just trying to crack on with seat mounts and tidying the wiring in the scuttle, then the scuttle panel itself can go back on with the wiper mech etc...

Will have a decent update with pics tommorow!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

nice progress again, is the end in sight at all?

oh well the blue valver runaround just spat its dummy out and started playing up. Had to drive 20mph all the way home with a very loud clattering/racket going on under the bonnet....I thought it was a tensioner on the cambelt, but noway would that make this sort of noise.....bottom end maybe?! god knows...

th_MOV00406.jpg

oh and yes, it was very cold tonight ;)

got an update for the hybrid coming shortly...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

f**k me mate, did you drop a box full of mirrors a few years ago

IIRC, he did that whilst a black cat walked out in front of him and he was walking under a ladder!

ive no idea, pmsl.

I had a bit of a play with a fiesta ST before....he wasnt impressed an old clio was edging past him....after that its been tapping, then it got worse, and worse, and worse....and I managed to get it home.

Tried to start it again, took ages, then couldnt keep and idle and was nocking like hell...oh well, tax the hybrid tommorow ftw.

172 Race Car

engine fooked, my old orion died in exactly the same way.............. except it was against a mk2 xr2

Yes im old :dapprove:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

You and F7*s just dont get on do you?! I assumed you've done the simple things like checking the oil and adding sawdust so it goes through the auction alright?

Mustang, S13, AX GT

You and F7*s just dont get on do you?! I assumed you've done the simple things like checking the oil and adding sawdust so it goes through the auction alright?
A friend has put 3 cars through auction with sawdust to 'help' and the cars are still rattling around 8 months later, I think its a genuine fix tbh. Unlucky Jord mate, but atleast the hybrids nearly roadworthy so the timings could have been worse

Bit of an update, spent from 10am-7pm today on it....

Engine bay sorted nearly (Bar elbow for induction)...

IMG_2740.jpg

As there is no wiring inside (mostly) now, the bits that are needed some through this grommet...

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

The extent of my 'custom' loom, about 4 runs of sets of cables...

IMG_2738.jpg

Which come through (Clocks/Stalks/Ignition/Rear Loom), yet to be properly tidied...

IMG_2733.jpg

And one of my own riggy fusebox, containing the bare essentials....

IMG_2731.jpg

Just needs a good tidy up/wrap up now...and itl be done...

IMG_2732.jpg

tommorows jobs include getting wipers to work (for some reason they dont), fit scuttle panel and wipers, and a few other bits and bobs :)

LY 182

A friend has put 3 cars through auction with sawdust to 'help' and the cars are still rattling around 8 months later, I think its a genuine fix tbh. Unlucky Jord mate, but atleast the hybrids nearly roadworthy so the timings could have been worse
works better on gearboxes lol done that a few times

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Be so much easier tracing an electrical fault when you know every wire intricately!

more done today....seat bars finally got level and to the right profile after a bit of playing around, just need welding now...

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

They are 3mm sheet steel bent to the shape of a channel, then shaped to fit...

Also, cheers to Winston for donating me a Horn...sounds mint lol

IMG_2767.jpg

And picked up some 6 point harnesses...I know they are red, not what color I wanted, but they will do for now to get me on the road....They retail at 200+VAT each in tweeks, I paid half that for the pair, still in date for FIA purposes until 2011 too :)

IMG_2797.jpg

More tommorow

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

some more good work there, bargain harnesses too!

ZX6R B1H

acc cable he means as its sticking, i think i have one on the williams but your better off buying a new one.

Top Job Jord... still need to pop over and take a ride in her :D

Skoda Fabia vRS

nope, the high idle problem on a valver/willy is caused by a bad earth on the speedo cable

try adding an extra wire to yours to try and improve the earth, has worked for some in the past and saves taking everything to bits

update from today....

seat bars all welded in, few other bits tidied up. drivers seat fitted, standard seatbelt (gotta drive to get some eyelets for the harnesses, lol)...also swapped the alternator from the blue one to the hybrid, no more squeeking now :)

ive just got to sort the steering column in the morning, then phone insurance and take it off the blue one, sort the grey one, then tax it.

Still got no wipers working as of yet (tommorows job), but it shall be on the road tommorow!

ZX6R B1H

nope, the high idle problem on a valver/willy is caused by a bad earth on the speedo cable

try adding an extra wire to yours to try and improve the earth, has worked for some in the past and saves taking everything to bits

wicked, learn somthing new everyday french electrics FTW :D

SC 172 FF

haven't been on cliosport for ages but popped on the other day and found this thread....3 days it's taken me to get to page 100!!

quality stuff f0xy, glad your nearing the end after all the problems you've had! :)