ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Audi TT 225 Quattro
Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

something is definitely wrong then, seems to be missing around 1-2k rmp ???

'92 172, Lotus Elise

the only thing i can think of, is it's hitting the 'neutral limiter'... it limits at about 6k in neutral iirc

the speed sensor is hooked up, though i'm not sure if different 'box ratios would confuse the ecu (i.e. it expects to be doing X mph at Y rpms)

get it remapped :D

cba wasting money on mapping it incase I want to do more engine mods in the future...

I shouldnt have a problem really though as you're running a diesel box? Speed sensor is defo hooked up too...

There is no abnormal fuel usage or anything, seems alot better than I thought it would be to be honest (consumption wise)....but not sure what the problem could be....

'92 172, Lotus Elise

yeh wierd

i meant remap with rstuner.. don't they give you group-n etc?

ValverInBits

hmm does'nt sound right, i was able to get 140 out of my old jb3 ( valver box ) with the f7r, 140 @7k dead on. in your vids it sounds like the car is hitting the limiter way to early......
ditto that. 140 or therabouts.

Vw caddy tdi

Some deisel 1.2 boxes have v short ratios, danpl6 was running 1.2 deisel box. Friend of mine was running a higher than 1.2cc diesel box on his willaims and 4th was v long and it didnt pick up 1st to 2nd so well as when on original jc5 willly box. Ph1 172 box would be choice imo.

'92 172, Lotus Elise

his problem isn't a long box, it's a short one.. i've had a look and can't find any jb3s that would result in that top speed - some are 100ish mph, others 140-180mph, but none at 120mph

ITB'd MK1

the only thing i can think of, is it's hitting the 'neutral limiter'... it limits at about 6k in neutral iirc

the speed sensor is hooked up, though i'm not sure if different 'box ratios would confuse the ecu (i.e. it expects to be doing X mph at Y rpms)

get it remapped :D

could be a "cold" limiter too. Is the temp sensor hooked up to the ECU correctly?

'92 172, Lotus Elise

cold limiter isnt 6000 though is it?

195 50 R15 tyres on a JB3 048 will hit 120gps at 5958rpm in 5th

'92 172, Lotus Elise

there aren't any 1.2 diesels.. theres a 1.9D in the mk1 and mk2 and a 1.5DCI in the mk2 and mk3

Vw caddy tdi

Furrymuff I stand corrected on desiel models 1.5d and 1.9d sound more plausable. My friend with a williams3 fitted the 1.9d type box as I explained above and I am sure danpl6's hybrid was running a lower than 1.9cc petrol/or desiel box which was noted to have even shorter ratios in comparisson with a 172.

Last edited:
  ValverInBits

I don;t get why a diesel box would be geared shorter? They are normally longer? diesels running at slower speeds an all.

Audi TT 225 Quattro

nowt wrong with the box, id point the finger at the ecu, probably not getting the right info from some sensor and limiting the revs the engs producing...

well I just got home....going to have a play with it this afternoon

700 miles was the total trip from leaving mine on friday to just getting back home...not had any problems with the engine etc (only brakes)....so im happy even though it wasnt as fast as it should have been :)

ITB'd 182...

Did spund quite low revving on the vids?

Hope you get it sorted though fella

320d

Main think is it is running. Definately sounds like its hitting the cold limiter though. Its at around 6200rpm on the RS's isnt it.

It will fly when its allowed to get to its peak power.

'92 172, Lotus Elise

Max. engine speeds

for a coolant temperature < 75°C 6,700 rpm
for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 1st or 2nd gear 7,200 rpm
for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 3rd, 4th or 5th speed 7,000 rpm

think may have sourced part of the problem (or maybe all)

plugged the ECU in to RSTuner....fault code: "Vehicle Speed Fault"...

Went into live mode, the ECU isnt getting a reading that im moving from the speedo cable (even though its wired up (I think the wires split, multimeter isnt showing its linked)....

So the ECU thinks the car is stood still all the time, apparently the 'stood still' limiter is lower than the normal one?

Audi TT 225 Quattro

bingo:D should feel alot more lively once all fixed as f-series engs need all the revs they can get in n/a form plus you would of been missing a nice part of that 5k kick thing they have:D

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Last edited:

Nice that it is quite an easy problem lad, great stuff!

Car looks great in the photos from the track day :)

When do I get a lift?

Jamie

soon, im still trying to fix it ;)

Just spent this morning trying to figure out why its not getting a speed reading, the wire is connected (Wire from speedo cable to the pin on the ECU), originally when I tested it I thought it wasnt connected, but when double checking (and getting the right ECU pin this time) it definately is connected, so im no closer as of yet...

Sorted a few other bits this morning also, swapped the clocks from the blue valver to mine, rev counter works perfect (Matteh will be pleased to know, non tinkered with ftw)....

Will update later if I get any closer!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Doh! vids of proper limiter please! :)

Few pics....swapped the speedo part of the clock over (milage etc) to the ph1 clocks from the blue valver, so the rev counter would be properly calibrated...

IMG_2910.jpg

Then, started to tidy up the engine bay. I had been getting a wierd buzzing noise when going over bumps and the car would keep cutting out for a split second then coming back on recently...turns out the positive connector in the engine bay was slightly touching the ECU casing.....and sparking!

IMG_2913.jpg

Anyway, ive relocated the ECU and changed the battery terminal now, all much much tidier...

Also finished painting the inlet manifold again, in some Renault 630 I had left over (color of the car)...

IMG_2918.jpg

Still no closer with the rev issue...more soon!

Bumder With A Buffer

You dont want a chrome strut brace for that do you??! Got one lying around in my garage and I want rid!

cant fit one to this now.....engine is in the way between the struts...

im guessing you mean a Mk2 one? Wouldnt fit anyway...:(

Bumder With A Buffer

cant fit one to this now.....engine is in the way between the struts...

im guessing you mean a Mk2 one? Wouldnt fit anyway...:(

No I have a MK1 one from when I had my valver about 4 years ago! Never fitted it! Waste that was!

LY 182

re the rev issue... what ecu setup are you using??

did the ecu/looms come from a ph1? if so im assuming it had abs?

it may need plugging in to clip/dealer level diagnostics as there is an adjustment you can do where it reads the speed from the abs or the speed sensor

ECU is from a 172 ph1 yeah, not sure if it had ABS or not.

The 172 engine loom has been adapted (basically the white connector cut off) and then the wires mated up to the corresponding wires on the valver connection blocks so they all work.

The speed sensor wire from the speedo cable is currently going to pin 53 on the ecu. The sensor is earthed, and has 12v power on igition, its just not showing a reading on the ECU (with RS tuner plugged in on live data mode). Ive tried two speedo cables (sensor built into the cable) and neither show a reading on the ECU side...

Did all ph1's come with ABS? thinking though, didnt the ph1's have a speedo cable and not a speedo sensor plugged into the box?

White Sti Hatch

You not damn lucky you didnt Fry the ECU with it being shorted to the live to the bay ??

'92 172, Lotus Elise

yeh, we have phase 1 ecus, so they should automatically be taking the reading from the gearbox speedo sensor.

I assumed that since both sensors were hooked up directly to the gearbox speedo drive and both had an earth and both had an ignition live and both had a signal wire that they'd operate the same way, but it seems more testing or info is needed

the mk1 speed sensor data should be a (12v?) pulse every 0.2m... anyone know how the 172 sensor works?

matt, i noticed something else also...

Car side of the loom..... it goes.......... 'YELLOW - WHITE - BLACK'.....guessing 'Ignition Live - Signal - Earth', but the speedo cable side of the connector has diff color wires....goes 'WHITE - YELLOW - BLACK', the yellow and white are swapped round.

I took the cover off the speedo sensor on the cable, but I cant tell which is what, ie which is igntion live and which is signal. Both my speedo cables are like this.....im guessing the color's of wire are not meant to match on both sides of the connector? so i should be ignoring that?