ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Be aware though dude, even if you buy new valves, they'll need cutting in.....

yeah realised that lol...........with the amount of other things that need buying paying out circa 150 quid for new valves is near out of the question!

M

mini-valver

Grind yours in, take a couple of hours but you'll get xactly the same result as new valves!

Mine are 3 angle seats, had 2 sets when it was being built after we found that bit of torx bit in the cambelt, lol.

ok...will try it and see what happens.

and WTF lol....i didnt hear about this rig up ;) torx bit? pmsl.

M

mini-valver

Built the engine, turn it over by hand, fine. Started it, bent the inlet valves. Took the belt off, bit of torx bit stuck in the inside of the belt, made the belt jump a tooth. Meh, lol.

Williams

Top project fella!

You've put a smile on my face! Somone has given me a straight awnser to my high idle speed after thrashing it! Cheers, im getting the part orderd tomorrow!

Day 78

Bit of an update....done 1500miles or so on the F7R, and its used nearly all the oil. Coolant is still going down, but doesn't seem to be running as hot...

Did a 300ish mile drive last night, and it was ok, nothing seemed to have gone wrong, until this morning. I went out to the car, unlocked it, started it, and the hazards started flashing, lol, the alarm was going off.

Turned the car off, locked it, unlocked it, and started it again, it ran for a couple of hundred yards then the hazards started flashing again. No idea why the alarm wouldn't dis-arm, so i had to unplug all the boxes and wires associated with the alarm, then start the car, and it was fine. Problem was, I couldn't use the central locking as its part of the alarm I think, the blip just didn't want to work.

No idea whats causing that and I couldn't be bothered to look in the rain, so it can wait!

Anyway, the 320 mile drive yesterday was to go and pick up a Williams manifold, it was a decent price so decided to just get it.

DSC_0157.jpg

I'm going to wrap the manifold and downpipe, to try and keep heat off the coolant bottle/header tank, and try and keep the bay tempratures down.

I've also been stripping down the F7P engine, removing the cam covers, inlet manifold, engine mounts and other bits, so I can paint them and put them on the engine when its rebuilt.

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

This is part of the top cam cover, where the HT leads are clipped into, not sure if i need a new seal for this....will have to find out....or does anyone know?

DSC_0153.jpg

Anyway....nothing much else to update, only that ive got a ton of parts to buy. Then i need to lift my engine out, build the williams head up (Not sure what im doing about the valves yet) then swap the head onto the engine. I also want to swap the clutch and gearbox to the ones from the F7P engine, and fit the parts I paint to the F7R lump.....then put it back in, lol...more soon!

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Very nice jord coming along nicely as always. Can't wait to see this on track don't think my hips are quite ready for your buckets yet but they will be by the 12th December ;)

Ian

Focus TDCi

f0xy said:
Turned the car off, locked it, unlocked it, and started it again, it ran for a couple of hundred yards then the hazards started flashing again. No idea why the alarm wouldn't dis-arm, so i had to unplug all the boxes and wires associated with the alarm, then start the car, and it was fine. Problem was, I couldn't use the central locking as its part of the alarm I think, the blip just didn't want to work.

No idea whats causing that and I couldn't be bothered to look in the rain, so it can wait!

Same thing happened to mine Jord, first day of owning it. Ended up taking the alarm module out as well. Central locking still works though, so I guess the wiring is different. Never found out what was wrong with it!

ValverInBits

as far as i know that seal is not an issue at all. Probably more to prevent rattle than anything.

Day 79

Stripped the head down this evening to inspect all the valves....and decide weather i want to replace them all or not....

Started by taking the top off the head, so the valves were easier to remove...

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

Then used a valve spring compressor/remover to remove the valves one by one

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

Then removed the stem seals and cleaned up the head...

DSC_0169.jpg

More soon!

M

mini-valver

You need to make sure the springs and collets go back on the right valve and the right valve goes back into its original guide too!

320d

Bloody hell jord all the oil in 1500 miles not good. When you hoping to have all the mechanical side finished by, the 12th for oulton.

You need to make sure the springs and collets go back on the right valve and the right valve goes back into its original guide too!

all labelled and put in seperate bags ;)

Bloody hell jord all the oil in 1500 miles not good. When you hoping to have all the mechanical side finished by, the 12th for oulton.

3rd december.....going in for new exhaust on the 5th lol

Skoda Fabia vRS

if you want some bulk oil mate i can sort you out with 20L for £27, 10W-40 semi synth

running a bit behind with the rebuild, not even managed to get the engine back out yet.....alot of bits arrived today....

DSC_0170.jpg

• 10w40 Engine Oil (10L)
  • Elf TRZ 75w80 Gearbox Oil (4L)
  • Renault Coolant (5L)
  • Genuine Renault Spark Plugs x 4
  • Genuine Renault Fuel Filter
  • Complete Head Gasket Set (Head Gasket, Inlet Manifold Gasket, Exhaust Manifold Gasket, Camshaft End Seals, Valve Stem Seals and various other gaskets)
  • Set of 10 Head Bolts
  • Low Temperature Thermostat
  • Low Temperature Fan Switch
  • High Temp Exhaust Manifold Sealant + Steel Ties

Also thanks to BRUN/Renault Parts St Helens for some stupidly good prices and deals since i've been doing the Mk1, especially with regards to the last order I just picked up.

Anyway I'm picking up the Williams manifold in the morning that has been shot blasted to clean it up, then its going to be wrapped with heat wrap.....mixed opinions on this stuff it seems, but I thought i would try it, mainly to try and keep engine bay temps down...

Other things on the list to get are a distributor cap and rotor arm, some 8mm HT leads, and a couple of other bits and bobs....

Still don't know if I am going to build the head up with brand new valves or not, as I cant seem to get them from anywhere. If I've got any hope to have this running by mid week I'm going to have to re-lap the old valves and hope for the best :approve:

M

mini-valver

Show Nicks stress about his warning lights, lol.

Day 84

Picked up the williams manifold today, had it shotblasted to clean it up. I sprayed it with some high temp paint, so the wrap was not going onto bare metal...

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

Day 85

The plan was to wrap the manifold and downpipe today, but what a nightmare it turned out to be...never thought it could be such a pain to keep tight. Measured the length for each pipe in turn, then cut to length, then wet the wrap and put it onto the manifold. I ended up using wire tie to begin with, as the steel cable ties I had seemed to be s**te...

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

Day 86

After much thought, i decided to buy a set of 16 new valves to rebuild the head with, may aswell do it all if im going this far. After a long search, I managed to source a place with enough in stock in Leeds, so got a lift (cheers drunknmunky) up there to get them.....£150 later I had a set of new valves.

Seeing as I was going to be fitting new valves, i decided to clean the head up properly. Cleaned the dishes first, then the head face itself...

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

I wasnt going to get the head skimmed, but thought I may aswell considering im replacing nearly everything on it...so I dropped it off at the engineering place that I use.

On the way back from Leeds, we called in at screwfix direct to pick up some steel cable ties, to use on the manifold and downpipe. When I got home I used them to replace the wire tie, still got one branch to do though...

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

I also set about beginning to remove the engine this evening, considering ive only got until friday to build up the head and put it onto the car, as thats when im booked into JP Exhausts. Although, this was soon put to a stop when I couldnt find the locking wheel nut key to remove the wheels, which I needed to do so I could remove the driveshafts....

After spending 3 hours searching the garage from top to bottom, I gave up and left it for the night...

Day 87

I finished the manifold wrap this morning, all the branches are now done. I have also sealed the downpipe with the black sealant, will put some pics up when the manifold is done with it too...

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

The next problem I had was the locking wheel nuts, and not being able to find the key. I tried smashing a socket onto it, which just slipped. I then went to Halfords, to get one of their locking wheel nut removal tools, which was completely useless as they both were too big for my locking wheel nuts...will have to take those back at some point. Last try was to go to the local garage to see if they had any ideas, it was my lucky day as they had a tool that got them straight out!

The place that was skimming the head for me told me to come back to pick it up today around half 5ish, so I headed back towards Warrington. Came up to a set of lights, went to pull away as they went green, and snap....clutch cable snapped. I was in the fast lane of a duel carrigeway, in rush hour, the worst possible combination.

After sitting there for 10 minutes, my luck struck again as Christopher went past on his way home from work, and pulled over. He helped me push it off the road, while I waited for the RAC...

DSC00307.jpg

Once the RAC showed up, they made a replacement cable. Once it was fitted, he went to test the pedal, and snap again. He tried one last time with a third cable, which ended up snapping the pedal itself. I think there is something up with either the box or the clutch....so he towed me back home and thats where it was left.

Now, im still booked into JP for friday, but the car is undrivable...I haven't got time to build up the head by then, only enough time to swap the box and clutch to my spare ones, so I started to remove the engine tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can swap the box and clutch, and get it back in the car, drivable for friday. After the exhaust has been made, I will take the engine back out again at the weekend, and fit the head, as I will have it built up by then I hope.....all in time for Oulton Park on the friday!

More soon!

ITB'd 182...

i dont kno whta to believe? 3 snapped cables or chris being able to push your car!

sh*t luck tho mate. GL trying to get it ready for friday

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

I love rush-hour traffic!

Cnuts!

Manifold looks mint now it's wrapped! Proper job!

If you need a lift anywhere lad, just text me, i've got a free weekend so far

unlucky mate, not having the best of luck with the mk1!

nice update though, manifold wrap looks good.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

dddammeeee, you have the worst luck dude.

Hope you sort it out but sounds like an EPIC job! :-/

320d

Unlucky with the cluch/box jord. Hope its all sorted for oulton. I'm sure it will work out in the end.

Day 88

Got up early today, my day off uni (10am, lol)...set about getting the engine out of the car again....stupidly cold day again, but an hour or so later...

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

Once it was out, I waited around for the taxi to pick me up (drunknmunky/Nick, lol)...who took me up to the engineering place that had skimmed the Williams head for me...

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

From there, we headed to Winstons, to get a clutch cable and pedal from his valver shell...lifesaver once again ;)

DSC_0225.jpg

Last thing to do was to go and remove the gearbox and clutch from the valver engine, and get them back to my house. Eventually got the box off, along with the clutch, and put them in the car. The clutch that was on the valver engine is only 6 months old, and the box was a re-con around the same time, so these will be better to use in the long run anyway...

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

While I had been out for most of the day, the wrapped manifold and downpipe were drying after I sealed them earlier in the day. In person they look black, no idea why the look grey in the picture!

DSC_0235.jpg

I needed to remove the box and clutch from the engine before I could fit the others obviously...

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

6 month old clutch vs other

DSC_0236.jpg

Before I put the newer gearbox onto the engine, I wanted to replace the end cap seal, to ensure it would definately not leak, picked the seal up from Renault a while back...

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

Once I had done that, I fitted the newer clutch to the engine, using a trusted rig-up method....lined up first time :)

DSC_0243.jpg

Once the clutch was on, I attempted to put the gearbox on. This ended up being an absolute pain, I have no idea why, but after 5 or 6 attempts I got it on and bolted on tight....

DSC_0247.jpg

Was getting late now, and I wanted to finish off for the night, but I had one last thing to do. I wanted to remove the valver exhaust manifold so I could put the Williams one on before friday, so the exhaust that I have made is correct for what I want....But as usual, I hit another problem when two of the 8 bolts rounded off, and I couldnt get them off :(

DSC_0242.jpg

Will have to have a think about that for tommorow, as I ideally want the williams manifold on. I put everything in the garage for the night, as you can see its nice and tidy....

DSC_0249.jpg

Anyway, all I need to do now is put the engine back in, and sort the manifold, before friday. Only got after 4pm tommorow to do it, as im in uni all day, so im pushing it lol!

Hopefully all will go well and il make it to JP exhausts on friday, and get the exhaust made. By then I will have the williams head built up with the new seals and valves, ready to go onto the block at the weekend :)

More soon....