ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Yeah pal, passenger that goes in to the box!! ... rather than buy a new shaft ( it was widetracked and the willy ones were hard to get hold of )... we just popped the tripod bearings off an old valver shaft and tapped it on to the willy one.

yeah....im running 172 shafts but i think the tripod thing on my valver one is the same, well it has to be i guess to fit in the box

anyway....the noise went when i had it tracked/aligned properly. Well, its still there from time to time, but its very very quiet and can hardly feel it, the bad tracking must have amplified how bad it was so to speak....

but either way, that noise can be left for now....got bigger problems to sort, lol.........good thing is, now ive had it tracked, i know how brilliant the drive is with the widetrack on and coilovers...love it :cool:

Day 68

DSC_0023.jpg

Had a very poor result from the Hybrid today on the dyno today, but glad I did it as I now know there is a serious problem with it. Took the drive upto Paul @ RS Tuning in Leeds, to see what power the hybrid was running. Current engine spec is: Megane F7R 2.0 Bottom End, Standard Valver Head…Running Williams ECU. I was told the Williams ECU was chipped to allow the spec of the engine to run, but its seems not to be the case.

DSC_0019.jpg

For people that know dyno graphs, you can probably see whats going wrong. Paul explained to me it was massively overfuelling, and could be due to the valver head having smaller valves than a williams head, and the williams ECU was making the engine run rich, possibly meaning that the ECU has never been set up properly for the engine.

SCAN0030.jpg

SCAN0031.jpg

Massive overfuelling resulted in poor power output, Hybrids of the same specification were running around 160bhp at the rolling road day there just two days ago, so its safe to say im 30bhp down at least. Needless to say I’m pretty dissapointed with the outcome, but at least its uncovered a problem which is fixable, and hopefully give me the correct power output for the setup.

DSC_0017.jpg

Day 70

Since fitting the new engine, I've been having issues with overheating. This became more apparent since I had the car rolling roaded yesterday. The water temperature rises very quickly when stopped at lights or in traffic, which cant be good for the engine/performance.

The coolant level seems to be going down slowly, so I thought there may be a leak somewhere. After checking all the pipes, it seems there are no leaks at all, so I've no idea where it is going. The waterpump is working, as coolant is coming through the return of the coolant bottle, and all the related pipework in the engine bay is getting upto to temperature.

Did a short video, after driving for 5-10 minutes from stone cold. Pulled up and left the car idling, the temprature rises rapidly, and would keep on rising if I had left it longer. Video Here.

To try and fix the fuelling issues, I got hold of a spare exhaust/lambda sensor, and swapped it with mine. I also swapped the coolant temprature sensor, and the manifold pressure sensor, then left the ECU unplugged for a short while allowing it to reset. After taking it for a drive, neither of the sensors seemed to have made any difference to the running/fuelling at all. If there is nothing else left for me to check, I may well leave it as it is, and get on with sorting a Williams head for the engine.

Day 71

I decided to find Williams head for my F7R engine, to hopefully get it running better. I found one for sale a few days ago, and went to collect it today. The head has had the camshafts removed, but the valves are still in place. The head rebuild is going to be a small side project, replacing seals and then the camshafts themselves. It will then be fitted to the bottom end that I am currently running, to hopefully get it performing better.

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

This is going to be a bit of a side project for the next few weeks, as I need allsorts of bits to get it ready to go on the car :approve:

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Looking at the temp gauge vid, mine does do this sometimes but eventually the fan gets it back under control and brings down the temp.

You need to get a comp test done ASAP if you haven't already. I think Halfords sell a tester kit for less than 20 quid.

Let me know if you ever need some help or a second pair of hands and ill come down.

went to halfords today to try and get a compression tester, no where to be seen.....monkeys said they aint had any in for a long while......Will have to try and get hold of one tommorow

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)

went to halfords today to try and get a compression tester, no where to be seen.....monkeys said they aint had any in for a long while......Will have to try and get hold of one tommorow
The one near me has them i saw them when i went before lol

ValverInBits

From your other thread, I suggested it could be lambda problems...
F0xy said:
yeah, i thought about that, and yeah it was in the project thread

it could be a partially both being messed up, but after opening the ECU is looks like its never been touched, 100% boggo williams ecu, so it wouldnt be running right anyway

The standard ECUs don't have chip holders, the modified one's do. Someones probably already told you this ;)

I really would recommend those NGK lambda sensors though. Did wonders for my car when it was overfueling.
As for your overheating problem. Valvers are wonderfully mad little machines with NO space around the engine and little room for good airflow through the rad (that's why we love em :D). Personally, I'd change the coolant, flushing the rad and consider changing the rad (how old is it by now?). Also could be the thermostat, always breaking but normally cause overcooling.

edit: just noticed those cheeky set of cams sat next to your head......are they standard;)?

yeah they are standard williams cams unfortunately LOL

ive tried another lambda sensor, which didnt make any difference....only other thing to try would be a brand new one...

the rad looks pretty new, definately not the original.....coolant was new when i swapped engine a few weeks ago, might be worth flushing the rad though.....

yeah standard ecus dont have holders, had been told, but i had been told that specific ecu was possibly chipped so there may have been one, but obviously not lol

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

It'll be worth all the hassle once it's up and running 100% lad. At least you get some experience from it eh!

Still going to Oulton on the 12th December?

yep! thats the deadline to have the head on and it running good

getting exhaust late this week or next week ;)

yeah JP. Not sure what tip yet like! cant really generally find many examples of exhausts on mk1s

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8

what do you tell your insurance company!

320d

I'd agree with the above, the look of the exhaust isn't a major feature of a MK1 imo, where as on a 182 for instance it is, maybe its just me thinking that.

probably be going to a 2" straight cut exit, im going for mild steel too.....rasp!

its going in for it on friday 5th december, so the block needs to be built by then :)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP

Sorry ive not read it all, but, is your fan kicking in?

When the engine conversion was done on my hybrid, the fan switch was not connected correctly... the temp would rise rapidly to the point where I would turn it off in traffic.

Plugged it back in, and it was sound ever since. Rises, fan kicks in, and regulates it back down.. they tend to run fairly hot anyway to be honest in my experience!

Hope that helps.

Sam

Sorry ive not read it all, but, is your fan kicking in?

When the engine conversion was done on my hybrid, the fan switch was not connected correctly... the temp would rise rapidly to the point where I would turn it off in traffic.

Plugged it back in, and it was sound ever since. Rises, fan kicks in, and regulates it back down.. they tend to run fairly hot anyway to be honest in my experience!

Hope that helps.

Sam

yeah its kicking in, just runs very warm......using more fuel today too, used a tenner in no time!

How much does your insurance cost ?

Is it TPF&T ?

680 third party fire and theft

320d

probably be going to a 2" straight cut exit, im going for mild steel too.....rasp!

its going in for it on friday 5th december, so the block needs to be built by then :)

Rasp FTW. There is a Williams round St Helens that has what looks like a 2" looks just right.

Clio Dynamique

Im getting an exhaust for my car soon, think i will be going powerflow, will also want a raspy exhaust, would they be able to do that for me? Also why does mild steel make it raspier?

id contact JP exhausts over powerflow mate, probably cheaper too....100x better quality!

Chocolate Bar™

i've had some right problems with JP recently over booking my car in as its a 172, but they are the nuts when it comes to quality.

i'd go for a 3'' straight cut tailpipe

started removing the valves out of the williams head yesterday.....and ran into a problem, once again....

DSC_0149.jpg

They are slightly worn, only looked at the exhaust valves, not checked inlets yet.

going to try some cutting paste as said when I posted up for a solution, if that does not work....new valves time...

on the shopping list at the moment is headgasket kit, head bolts, oil, coolant, gearbox oil, swap clutch and gear box to this engine from the other, fit the williams cams into the williams head and time it up....the list goes on.......then exhaust and a map!

M

mini-valver

Be aware though dude, even if you buy new valves, they'll need cutting in.....