ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

fair play chap, quite satisfying that way... what's your degree in? Maths/problem solving related?

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Pushing it for time I see jord. I'm free tonight if you want me to come round and give you a hand with anything? Text me or something but let me know.

the others came off pretty easy, 10mm ring spanner and a pipe to get a bit more leverage....just those two slipped.........il try the gas burner on them later and hope they come off

taking the block back out as soon as the exhaust is made probably, to fit the williams head etc...............still, gotta get the engine back in when i get home, and sort the manifold, lol

M

mini-valver

Good progress, reminds me of my rush before FCS. Fcuking cars ;)

320d

Will sound immense when it has the new exhaust on. Can see this car being the star of FCS this year jord.

BTW anyone who fancies giving me a lift i'll chip in for petrol etc, i'm not taking my car to FCS, unless i can hide it under a sheet lol. (probly a bit early to think about FCS)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

I'll give you a lift down if you're stuck dude...

Doubt i'll still have the 182 though, so i'll have to leave the car at the back of the stand lol

fallen at the last hurdle....engines back in, driveshafts on etc....just cant get the downpipe on, as i ran out of time bit too late now.....still gotta fill gearbox, coolant, refit radiator, bolt up shocks properly........no chance of JP now :(

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)

Looks like yours might be up and running before mine :p lol

320d

I'll give you a lift down if you're stuck dude...

Doubt i'll still have the 182 though, so i'll have to leave the car at the back of the stand lol

Probly take you up on that Chris, I'll go halfs on petrol etc.

Is the Teg coming sooner than FCS then? Hopefully someone off here will buy your 182 so its still around, be a shame for it to disappear or will it be put back to standard before you sell it?

Day 89

Needed to get the engine back in today as I had JP Exhausts booked for tommorow, so the rush was on....It was raining non stop from when I got home, just had to get on with it...

First I needed to get the rounded bolts off the manifold, one of them came off with a better spanner, and the other would not budge. I got the drill on it and drilled the bolt off, wasnt too bothered about the stud as the head is coming off in the next few days, just wanted to get the Williams manifold on so the exhaust could be made correctly.

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

Then I fitted the williams maifold....

DSC_0263.jpg

And set about lifting it back in....

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0266.jpg

Got there in the end, although there was still a million things left to connect up, downpipe, driveshafts, radiator etc etc, and it was 11pm now. I decided to leave it as it was still raining, and there was no possible chance I was going to get it done in time for tommorow morning to go to JP Exhausts.

Im going to have to re-book JP now, but it will be a while yet....seems like a waste of two days swapping the clutch and box to get it there, then not ending up making it :(

225 powered mk2

Just read the whole of this, so much gone into it matey, cant wait to see updates :D

Back up and running again, just took it for a spin round the block, clutch and box are all good :)

Also started to fit the new valves into the williams head, which will be fitted later this weekend with the engine in place, as its too much work to be taking it all out again....not got enough time...pics of head/valves later

Day 90

Spent a good couple of hours this morning connecting the last bits up to the engine as said, took a bit longer than expected....started it and took it down the road, clutch is good, no whine from the box like the other one had, back how it should be :)

Obviously didnt make it to JP Exhausts, so rebooked it for the 19th December. Winston is lending me an exhaust he has for Oulton next friday, as the DIY side exit is falling to bits...

Next thing to sort is the head, so got on with lapping the first four valves...

DSC_0267.jpg

I labelled the valves, so they matched with the valves/springs/collets that I previously took out, so the bits went back into the right place...

To fit the valve, first put a new stem seal onto the head, then put the valve into place. Then use a valve spring compressor to compress the spring, and put the collets into place, which is the most fiddly job EVER...

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

The collets have to go down the gap, round the valves stem...nightmare!

DSC_0276.jpg

Once the collets were in place, slackened off the valve spring compressor...

DSC_0269.jpg

Continued to do the next valve...

DSC_0274.jpg

Then made a rig-up workbench in the kitchen as the head was nearly falling off the table when doing the next four valves...

DSC_0278.jpg

Got 8 valves done, and decided to leave the rest as it was 2am, lol

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

Will get the other 8 valves done tommorow, fit the cams, thermostat housing and inlet manifold...should be near enough ready to put on the engine by then :)

More soon...

320d

2 chairs for a workbench jord, very rig up. Bet you wish it was an 8 valve engine eh? would make the job easier.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

I said it before and i'll say it again LEG-END lol. Bloody Epic home mechanics FTW!

340i

The dog looks interested in what you are doing LOL!!

2am.... rebuilding a head.......... in the kitchen.... FTFW!

wait and see ;)

looks like its comeing along nicely jord, lol @ the dog is that dog still going;)

Day 91

As I didnt make it to JP Exhausts on friday, I had to rebook it, and the next available date was the 19th. Ive booked it in for then, but wanted to get rid of the side exit as it was blowing and getting annoying.....Winston offered to lend me his magnex system for now, mainly for oulton on friday, so I went and picked it up.

Fitted it to the car when I got back, cant get it aligned right which is pissing me off already lol, so im going to nip up to the local garage who have ramps on monday and get it aligned. Il put up a couple of pics once its sorted...

I still had 8 more valves to do, so I did those after doing the exhaust. Went a bit quicker this time, got them all done pretty easily...

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

Cleaned up both sides of the head, then cleaned the camshaft carriers too...

DSC_0289.jpg

Started to fit the cams after that, then had to leave it as I was heading out, so will finish the cams tommorow. Then it just needs the thermostat housing fitting, distributor cap/rotor arm and the pulleys fitting. Hopefully that wont take too long and il get the head onto the engine tommorow afternoon all being well :)

M

mini-valver

I'll take a pic of my wardrobe later dude, it's worse than your kitchen table :eek:

Going up to Paul for mapping?

id get shot if i did that on the kitchen table!

nice work mate, project's coming along nicely.

yeah dave, was meant to be going to paul for mapping, but read on....

Day 92

Built up the cylinder head, and went down to Ryans to fit it, 3 people on hand to get the job done quicktime...

DSC_0291.jpg

After building up the head, removed the head from the engine in the car....

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

Next, swapped the inlet manifold from the other head to the fresh williams one, and put it into the car with a new headgasket...

DSC_0310.jpg

Also fitted a new low temp thermostat, to aid with keeping the engine heat down...Then locked the crank at TDC, and timed the cams in, fitting the cambelt...

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

Then refitted all the covers, etc. Got everything connected up.....went to start it....nothing! Just did not want to fire...checked for fuel, that was good, spark was ok.....just didnt fire up....

Tried changing the ignition/coilpack order, made no difference, got a bit of spluttering but then nothing....by this time it was 2am, and I had no way of getting home. A call to the RAC got them to show around an hour later, to some guy who seemed to have no idea what he was talking about, and wouldnt tow me home.... Ended up having to stay at Ryans mates...cheers mat!

Day 93

After getting to bed around 4am, got some sleep then got up to try and get the car going...Tried a fresh set of spark plugs, and made sure the iginition order was correct. Once again, nothing, checked every connection, sensor etc....all we got was smoke out of the inlet manifold, and some popping/fuel from the throttle body.

After a couple of hours, admitted defeat, and got a lift home with Nick who had come down earlier. I got my mate to drive me back down there a few hours ago with his trailer, to get the car back to mine.....just got it onto my driveway and left it for tonight, fail!

So im not sure where to go from here now....we shall see what tommorow brings!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

You have the patience of a saint!!

After all the problems you've had, i'd have set the s**t on fire and left in a field.

Hats off to you mate.

172 Race Car

Rac wont recover you coz its not really a breakdown.

is it timed up properly? not 180 deg out is it?

Not mixed up the cams?

Cant think of anything else atm