ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

Right then.

For me its quicker to remove the engine to swap the gearbox, really cant be bothered with dropping the subframe and getting it through the small space available.

Radiator/Fan removed, coolant drained, gearbox drained, driveshafts removed, downpipe removed, few other bits...

IMG_6609.jpg

IMG_6615.jpg

Removed the mounts and lifted it out...

IMG_6621.jpg

IMG_6623.jpg

Very mucky engine bay, jetwashed it while the engine was out :)

IMG_6630.jpg

Grass still on the back of the block, lol..

IMG_6634.jpg

IMG_6638.jpg

Removed the box and looked into the passenger side of the diff, the circlip had been ripped out and the welds that were holding it snapped off...

IMG_6643.jpg

A lot of sideways play in the diff, not just in-out movement that I saw in another box where the circlip had popped, maybe something internally is fubar'd too.

Found the circlip hiding in the driveshaft boot...

IMG_6640.jpg

New JB3 with bolt in diff...

IMG_6626.jpg

Fitted to the block...

IMG_6645.jpg

Back in and running :)

IMG_6650.jpg

Easy as that and only took around 3 and a half hours :cool:

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

3 and a half hours ftw!

nice to see it being worked on back on the drive too!

lol!

Hopefully wont need to do any more 'major' work for a while now again.

ECU next, cams back in, mapped and a general service before Marham again at the start of october. That will probably be the next outing, was going to do one in September but prices are still high and id rather put the money into mapping :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

you've got is sussed jord! do you work or are you a student??

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

work wise as a mechanic or something similar by any chance?

IT/Computers/Networks, lol.

This time last year I still had my 1.2 Mk2...

Ive learnt what I know since September 2008 really, when i got the Mk1. Through forums, research and hands on 'going in at the deep end' :)

106 GTI

IT/Computers/Networks, lol.

This time last year I still had my 1.2 Mk2...

Ive learnt what I know since September 2008 really, when i got the Mk1. Through forums, research and hands on 'going in at the deep end' :)

Much respect for that!!

Whos mapping the cams?

Much respect for that!!

Whos mapping the cams?

Im 99% going to run it on Adaptronic, as I have an 'expert' down the road from me by the name of 'Scoff', heard of the name? He can supply and support it, handy having him only just down the road too (10/15 mile).

Il get a bare loom with the ECU, wire it up, take it to him and he will spend some time getting me a base map sorted, show me whats what, etc. The software for it is pretty interesting tbh!

R5 GTT

Saw you @ Mallory at the weekend and the little clio was flying around the track lloked very impressive matey

Scoff's car is a fecking monster.

IMG_5456.gif

you were there james? Should have said would have had a chat...I walked into Scoff and Andy having a conversation about the ECU clinic of all things...

After my box went I gave up and went off taking pictures on the first corner lol.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

you've got some patience/determination!

i haven't touched mine in about 3 weeks, i need a break every now and again otherwise i would end up petrol bombing it! or worse.......selling it :eek:

Got a few bits to collect now before the ECU can happen. Need a spare 172 flywheel that I can machine a tooth out of so the timing pattern is correct, along with a few other bits.

ECU Supplier keeps the ECUs and Bare looms in stock, so thats not an issue. Im planning on ripping ALL the wiring out (Bar the headlight loom) of the car and starting from scratch. ECU will be inside, minimal wiring under the dash, just enough to drive the clocks and stalks. I only need 2/3 relays now, so will mount them and the fuses I require under the dash top so I can loose the ugly fusebox. Should be able to wire it up within a couple of days, and it will be all tidy like I originally wanted it :)

Will be loosing the bars and skins from the doors in the next few days now that ive found a way of mounting the polycarbs without the mechanisms also. Suppose I better get it weighed after that too!

Im keeping the engine standard and running on the 172 ECU until the start of september, as im going to run it up pod on the 5th, see what times it makes. Straight after that ECU will be done and mapped ready for marham :)

my current one has a tooth filled in? which needs machining out to get it to a 60 tooth timing pattern

TVR Cerbera

iirc that's classed as missing tooth. I'll look at my omex manual tonight and confirm for you, i have it written down on it.

'92 172, Lotus Elise

172 flywheel should be ok?

it's the mk1 clio f7 flywheel that's usually incompatible...

Scoff (ECU supplier) seemed adamant that I would need to machine a tooth out to get the 172 flywheel to a true 60 tooth timing pattern, as standard they have one of the gaps filled in?

TVR Cerbera

Scoff (ECU supplier) seemed adamant that I would need to machine a tooth out to get the 172 flywheel to a true 60 tooth timing pattern, as standard they have one of the gaps filled in?

The 172 flywheel is a 60-2 Bosch setup. The setup for an OMEX is 2 teeth missing, MX Sync Test 57, MX time 50%.

fOxy, look at it this way. it has already got a tooth (or 2 in fact) missing. they are just the opposite way round and raised (or filled in). If you machined a bit into the flywheel, it would infact be creating a new tooth.

Believe me it will work as it is. Just tell scoff it's a bosch 60-2 flywheel and the timing alignment is 51 degrees

If you keep the standard 172 flywheel trigger setup then ideally the extra "filled in" tooth just after the gap tooth on the flywheel should be machined out, so that it becomes a genuine 60-2 bosch timing pattern. I've heard of guys running fine without doing this but if you have access to the flywheel then it's best to machine that tooth out. I did one with a die grinder once.

If you don't have access to the flywheel to do that then you could just suck it and see, then if it didn't work you could go to a seperate 36-1 trigger on the bottom crank pulley, which I use these days because of the VW flywheel setup I have.
Il just suck it and see then I guess :) if it dosent work I know who to blame :rasp:

'92 172, Lotus Elise

I think it will, yeh

People fit megane F7R 714 flywheels (identical to 172) to Williams F7R 700s...

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

and that has the 60-2 trigger the same as pug yeah?...,anyone got a 172 flywheel? lol

cheers (ill leave now honest)

Done some more today, quite alot of weight lost. There is nothing else to loose weight wise from the car now really, unless i got lightweight wheels, which is a waste of time anyway IMO...

Right then....today the doors started like this:

IMG_6670.jpg

Decided where I wanted to cut and marked it out:

IMG_6671.jpg

Cut all the skin out...

IMG_6676.jpg

Then chopped the impact bar in half...

IMG_6678.jpg

Drilled the spot welds out holding it in place...

IMG_6681.jpg

Removed the bar (still got to remove the sound deadning etc, couldnt be bothered this evening)

IMG_6682.jpg

Also to note, dont go pulling it hard to get it out once youve drilled the spot welds out without thinking that there are sharp edges everywhere, or this happens!

IMG_6673.jpg

I then needed to find a way of holding the windows in position. Found two locations on the top edge of the door where the metal was double skinned. Drilled through both skins, marked the polycarb, and drilled through that. Then used bolts and nuts to hold the window in the correct position, (The bolt locations are shown in the picture below)...

IMG_6682_1.jpg

Needless to say the window isnt going anywhere now. If I didnt have the two bars on the cage for side protection, I certainly wouldnt have been doing this, so so weak now!

IMG_6685.jpg

Carried on and did the passenger side, then weighed everything removed. The door bars were a tad over 6kg each! My (newer) drivers door had double the amount of skin than the passenger door too, the total weigh in was only just short of 16kg!

Suppose I better hit the weighbridge now :)

JDM Dc2

looks soo much better/tidier now, cant wait till i get a cage then i can remove the heavy door bars!

hope you filed all them edges, doesnt look like it lookin at your hand lol