ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

ValverInBits
Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

I've been looking into it mate. was bidding on a passat.

Passat B4 110bhp TDI (mighty cheap) - 1500kg braked tow weight, but we'd be limited by the cars weight which is 1406kg - 53MPG and 800mile range. General good barge, and everyone wants a B5 so the B4 is dead cheap.

800kg clio + 300kg light duty trailer leaves you well within limits. I just wondered how much I'd actually use trailer. Id end up buying loads of MOT failures, trailer them home, fix and sell. It sounds like something that would really wind-up the GF and my parents so decided to leave it for the min.

I've been looking into it mate. was bidding on a passat.

Passat B4 110bhp TDI (mighty cheap) - 1500kg braked tow weight, but we'd be limited by the cars weight which is 1406kg - 53MPG and 800mile range. General good barge, and everyone wants a B5 so the B4 is dead cheap.

800kg clio + 300kg light duty trailer leaves you well within limits. I just wondered how much I'd actually use trailer. Id end up buying loads of MOT failures, trailer them home, fix and sell. It sounds like something that would really wind-up the GF and my parents so decided to leave it for the min.

Yeah, the trailer in question is twin axle, no idea how much it weighs. Are there any limits/laws on it has to be a single axle trailer or anything daft?

ValverInBits

not as far as I am aware. I would certinally want a twin for doing any car towing. All you need to do then is balance it up correctly (iirc 60-100kgs weight at the hitch).

edit: should mention that most trailers say what they weigh on a plate on them. 300kg is about the lightest twin axle.

172 Race Car

Ref your slippy slidy video, I shat myself watching it at times, Lol

Did you try letting some air out the rear tyres and soften the suspension at the rear/stiffen the front if you can, you need to give it some understeer in those conditions. Also at first you are just letting it spin and getting on the brakes. Mash the throttle and it will pull straight again. like you did at 5:45. The wet is great fun, me and Tony had a right laugh when the heavens opened at Bedford earler in the year

any idea what your car weighs in at jord?

813kg last time I got it weighed (with the Superleggeras on), small amount of fuel in

not as far as I am aware. I would certinally want a twin for doing any car towing. All you need to do then is balance it up correctly (iirc 60-100kgs weight at the hitch).

edit: should mention that most trailers say what they weigh on a plate on them. 300kg is about the lightest twin axle.

Cool, il check it out and see what it weighs, then go from there :)

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4

I read most of the thread (it is 195 pages afterall) and must say I'm impressed with your skills.

I'm under the impression that you'd need B+E license to tow pretty much anything that can carry a car. Most car trailers I seen have a MAM of around 2000kg which would make it heavier than lots of cars. If the car has a unladen weight of 2000kg then you would need a license as it would be 4000kg combined? Why do they make it so confusing?lol

Ref your slippy slidy video, I shat myself watching it at times, Lol

Did you try letting some air out the rear tyres and soften the suspension at the rear/stiffen the front if you can, you need to give it some understeer in those conditions. Also at first you are just letting it spin and getting on the brakes. Mash the throttle and it will pull straight again. like you did at 5:45. The wet is great fun, me and Tony had a right laugh when the heavens opened at Bedford earler in the year

Yeah, kept letting them down few PSI at the time, but by the time it got better the weather got worse!

The first few times in the video I could have rescued it with some gas yeah, few other people mentioned it...although sometimes the wheel just whips round near enough striaght away, before I would have chance to get on the throttle...so surely it would have not pulled round?

Unfortunately I cant adjust the damping on the shocks at the moment, but may be able to play with the rear next year if Chris wants to sell me the rear dampers that hes ran this year

ValverInBits

I read most of the thread (it is 195 pages afterall) and must say I'm impressed with your skills.

I'm under the impression that you'd need B+E license to tow pretty much anything that can carry a car. Most car trailers I seen have a MAM of around 2000kg which would make it heavier than lots of cars. If the car has a unladen weight of 2000kg then you would need a license as it would be 4000kg combined? Why do they make it so confusing?lol

that's the max load capacity of the trailer. Provided you keep the towcar and total trailer load under 3.5ton and the combined trailer and load doesent exceed the unladen weight of the towcar, you don't need a trailer licence.

172 Race Car

Going into the corer with a very small amount of throttle on help when its that slippy, keeps weight on the rear and your quicker to react if it gets away from you

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4

that's the max load capacity of the trailer. Provided you keep the towcar and total trailer load under 3.5ton and the combined trailer and load doesent exceed the unladen weight of the towcar, you don't need a trailer licence.

Thats great news then. Why do they make everything so confusing?:dapprove:

BMW M5 & E36

Unfortunately I cant adjust the damping on the shocks at the moment, but may be able to play with the rear next year if Chris wants to sell me the rear dampers that hes ran this year

They're yours when my new stuff turns up :)

TrackCar & F30 330d

Your still only 20?!!!!

lol, those seats will look much better than the old Sparcos. I did think about the trailer thingy too, sounds like a good idea but its a bit of ball ache sorting it all out.

A cheeky 106 would be a nice runner round.

320d

Looking at Pre-1995 106's at the moment ;)

I definitely could not live with a Micra, hate the shape of them with a passion lol.

Micra's don't break though. My Mums got one on a V plate and it drives like new, no rattles at all.

Either way its far far far far cooler than your current whip...

!BdV9LfQCGk~$%28KGrHqMH-DUErgktBg7sBK4fr2gy!!~~_35.jpg

LOL.

172 Race Car

LOL! would pay to see jord driving that haha

A great 'car' that you just use to get around in. very very comfy. Ive spent £12 on mine since I bought it and it passed the mot no probs.

Its also got a massive boot for lugging big chunks of Clio around (mostly what I use mine for)

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

its hard at the moment to pick up all right cheap cars sub 500
most i looked at were either s**t heaps or dodgy as f**k

but they are out there
i just got a r reg 1.4 306 92k on clock for £440 with t&t

My Loton is Purple but the V5 says silver so its fine

Exactly my point, his V5 says purple.

Why worry, at least 100 pages of the 195 are spam

You dont want to see his thread, 79 of his 80 pages on the Fiesta site are spam. Although, mines only bad due people replying 'x' (3) times in a row when there is an Edit button ;)

Enough now though, lol. Il do a proper update as usual when more stuff happens this week!

'92 172, Lotus Elise

you want a valver to run around in whilst your hybrid is being fixed...

whiteley can back me up on that one ;)