ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

Staying as they are until next year!

The MARANGOLI Ditch Finders are staying on for marham too ha

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI

i-love-this-thread-so-much.jpg

Scuttle Induction setup has now gone! :)

So, this arrived this morning, Ph1 172 airbox...

IMG_7082.jpg

Standard filter (for now)...

IMG_7084.jpg

Before I could do anything with it, I had to get rid of the 172 header tank, and plumb in the Fiat item I found at the scrap yard the other say (Indeed ive since found out its the 20v item)...

Two hoses go the header tank, one large and one small. These needed extending, so another look at the fiesta hosing setup (where the S bend came from) turned out well, as I managed to chop a section out of the hose that was the perfect shape (for the larger hose)...

IMG_7081.jpg

IMG_7095.jpg

The smaller hose was easy, had some that reached round perfectly.

Thought I better check if the airbox would even fit before I went any further....

IMG_7092.jpg

Around 11.5 inches between the throttle body and the strut...now for the box...

IMG_7093.jpg

Just shy of 11.5 inches, phew lol. Continued to remove the 172 header tank...

IMG_7099.jpg

Then check the clearance on the airbox...

IMG_7103.jpg

IMG_7105.jpg

Tiny bit of room to play with. Trimmed a piece of samco I had lying round down to size (too bad its blue doh!)...

IMG_7106.jpg

But before I could attach it to the throttle body, I needed to figure out a way of sealing the airbox as all the clips had been lost.

Soldering iron in hand, I made 4 holes on outer skin of the lid...

IMG_7109.jpg

Then fixed it at all four points with cable ties....perfect!

IMG_7111.jpg

Attached it to the throttle body, and used some massive cable ties to pull it down as far as possible to the battery tray...

IMG_7114.jpg

Its a very tight fit on the strut, and on the bonnet, but it will be fine! :)

Carried on and mounted the header tank in the scuttle properly...

IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_7117.jpg

Done!

Just needs some CAF's now, will sort that when I can be bothered. Took it for a quick blast....guess what?

Spent some more time on the car this evening.

The car has needed some ducts in the fog light holes to tidy it up for some time, but ive just never got round to it. Demon tweeks sell a 6" x 3" duct that near enough fits with a bit of modification (Coops has these on his), but for £18 ex VAT each! Plus delivery etc etc etc....wasnt paying that.

I spent the past week browsing the web and thinking what could be used as an alternative, from square funnels (which seem quite hard to get hold of) to various containers and allsorts. Last night this popped into my head, and its worked perfectly!

Start out with two 65mm/2.5" (Outlet) downpipe end pieces for guttering from B&Q...

IMG_7125.jpg

IMG_7126.jpg

After a bit of thinking and measuring, near enough marked out how it needed to be modified....so removed the old foglight surround from the bumper to see what I had to work with...

IMG_7128.jpg

IMG_7130.jpg

IMG_7132.jpg

With the Demon Tweeks scoops, you have to hack the part with the holes in off to get them to fit, but with these it seemed I could get away with it...Marked out my measurements and began cutting...

IMG_7135.jpg

IMG_7136.jpg

Fits in the hole, just needs the top and bottom cutting off...

IMG_7140.jpg

So on with that...

IMG_7142.jpg

IMG_7143.jpg

IMG_7144.jpg

Trial fitted...

IMG_7148.jpg

IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7150.jpg

Perfect! :D

Decided instead of just sealing it into the bumper, I was going to bolt it with black bolts and nuts through the original foglight mounting holes for a bit of extra support...

IMG_7152.jpg

Drilled the scoop...

IMG_7153.jpg

Then mounted it with the bolts and nuts, near enough perfect fit...

IMG_7155.jpg

Last job was to use some black sealant round the edges for a smooth finish...spot on!

IMG_7157.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

Then continued on with the other side...finished with two perfect fog light scoops/feeds for under a tenner!

For the moment these two will run to the two inlets on the 172 Ph1 airbox, job done!

Also removed some weight from the front bumper (all the excess plastic from behind), weighed 1.55kgs, every little counts I suppose!

Will get some pics of the front of the car with the bumper on tommorow :)

Mk1 F4R

Top job jord, when i seen the guttering at firts i thought wot the hell are you upto now, but after a few cuts here and there wot a fit.
as you say for under a £10 spot on :approve:

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

mines rather bigger than that, as had one of said 'big' ducts in the garage, so hacked the bumper and its now fitted a treat, tho having doubts about collecting water as some of the events we have done have had fords in them...,ill worry about that when i come to it!

mines rather bigger than that, as had one of said 'big' ducts in the garage, so hacked the bumper and its now fitted a treat, tho having doubts about collecting water as some of the events we have done have had fords in them...,ill worry about that when i come to it!

yeah, well the outlet is 2.5", which is the same size as the inlets on the 172 airbox, so it will do the job for now :approve:

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

mines 76mm so 3 inch, going to fabricate my own airbox, but liking the 'scoops' you have knocked up, very neat:D

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

Nice one! Standard ph1 filter is fine imo, just change it regually.

Just been and collected the drivers side 172 hub that I got from D4ve from being machined, will probably put it on later.

Hopefully no more ball-joint issues after this!

Im also in the process of reproducing the Renault 5 GTX front engine mount bracket to give my engine a further mounting point, there will be 5 in total once fitted. Using the R5GTT/GTX rubber bolted to the subframe, then my own version of the bracket to bolt it to the block. More on this soon!

Not much else to sort before Marham now, just general tidying up, along with replacing the downpipe gasket again.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

id like to have a look at that as thought about extra mounts for the engine in mine, but having found the 2 upper mounts to be broken when i took the engine out im going to see what its like with all new mounts 1st

As mentioned above, ive been putting together a 5th mount for the front of the engine the past day or two.

This is what a R5 GTX mount looks like when purchased from renault, the rubber is in the bag...

IMG_4402.jpg

The rubber alone is 47 quid from Renault! Anyway, decided to see how much the rubber would be from the local factors, £6. So I set about making my own bracket...Used some thin aluminium to get the shape/dimensions/angles right, as there is quite a few angles involved...

DSC00547.jpg

Once I was happy with that, I got some 6mm steel, bent to the angle I wanted. I then used my template to replicate it on the steel...After doing that, I cut a piece of spare roll-cage tubing up, to strengthen the mount, and welded it in place. I decided to add it to stop any 'flex' in the metal mount...

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7185.jpg

This is the rubber from the motor factors...

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_7191.jpg

Gave it a quick coat of hammerite...

IMG_7192.jpg

Once dry, mounted the rubber to it...

IMG_7194.jpg

As you may have noticed, once of the holes is elongated/slotted...After marking where the hole was on my ph2 bottom end (in the car) and drilling it, the hole on my spare bottom end was in a slightly different place oddly.....so I made it big enough to counteract any errors in the marking....fits ok now anyway...

This is the hole on the subframe where it mounts....

IMG_7196.jpg

IMG_7199.jpg

Then fitted it...

IMG_7201.jpg

IMG_7200.jpg

IMG_7205.jpg

Spot on. No engine movement at all now really, alot better :evil:

Skoda Fabia vRS

so whens your appointment at the dentist for replacement fillings ?

and should i pre order you a new subframe from France yet :) ?

LOL...dont lie, you have gotta admit it fits well ;) just because I didnt buy the rubber and mount from you lol :approve:

Replacement subframe, pah! Il worry about that when it drops off (which it wont!)

Skoda Fabia vRS

lol yea ill admit thats spot on that is, personally id have still bought the bracket from me, wasnt exactly much was it lol

yes the rubber was a different story though :)

Would have been nearly £70 for the rubber and bracket, this cost me under a tenner if im counting petrol to and from getting the metal :cool:

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

Looks spot on that, dead easy to make also, think ill be following the same route! As you say thats the 5th mount, where is the 4th? i have heard an extra gearbox(?) mount from the 172 mentioned, but having never had a look in a 172 engine bay i dont know what the mounts are like.