ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 vs Mk2 172 - Best 2nd hand buy

I started a thread yesterday regarding things to look out for when buying 2nd hand Mk2 172.

Im now thinking I might go for a mint condition Mk1 as theyre obviously cheaper than the mk2s

I have a couple of questions... what are the main differences between the mk 1 & 2? Do the mk1s suffer with the same problems as the mk2 or are they worse? Did mk1s suffer with the same drastic power fluctuations between cars?

Finally, how do these cars take the miles? I reckon I can get a pretty mint, 1 lady owner mk1 with 20-30k miles for arounf the £8-8.5 k mark. Obviously itd probably be out of warranty, or have a little less. This would be good for the modding but could be expensive if any nasty problems were to occur....

I know theres been quite a bit of talk as to which is better and I know the choice is ultimately down to me. Im just wondering what you guys/gals think

All help and opinions greatly appreciated - thanks

Renault Laguna Coupe

I wouldnt think theres that much difference in price really. There have been a few real bargain Mk1s for between 8 and 9,000, but most cost more (have a look in the for-sale section). If you want newest 172 for the money a Cup may be a better bet - Ive seen 03 models for 9k.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

One thing to bear in mind is that once out of warranty Renault are nortoriously expensive for parts! They mechanically are good with only plastic and mainly unimportant (but annoying) bits going wrong.

Main differences being MK2 comes with xenons and Climate Control (as opposed to just air con).

If it were me it would be 6 and 2 3s with the MK2 winning cos it would have the longer warranty

I guess so - theres always a trade off with that and price though...

I was really wondering if the mk1s suffered with the same niggling problems as the mk2s and CUPs seem to. Also if there was a much variation in power with the mk1s.

I cant stand the pre facelift interior, almost as bad as the mk1 clios and Renault 19s. Id save that big extra for a mk2, they look a bit smarter and more upmarket IMO.

-Rob

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

It all comes down to looks really.

The mk1s have all the same issues that the mk2s have, I was lucky to get a mk1 with a 3 year warrenty and I still have just under a year to go which is nice.

On the earlier mk2s you only got xenon and climate control as opposed to the mk1s normal lights and aircon. The later mk2s started getting extra toys like traction control and stability control etc. Id say if you get get a mint mk1 with decent warrenty left then go for it.

Subaru Forrester

jetsetjimbo - I had the same choice as you before I bought mine. As already said, the main differences are the aircon/climate control and the gearing. You will still get MK1 with warrenty left (mine runs out Jan 04) so its really down to your choice on looks.

Touch wood Ive had no of the usual problems reported on the forum, only speckled paint which I got repsrayed by Renault under warrenty.

I went for the Mk1 because I like the looks better. Dont forget the Mk1 Exclusive as well, full leather and different wheels.

Oh yeah, the RenaultSport decal on the front seats is in colour on mine and in Grey on the Mk2s Ive seen.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Ian P on 11 September 2003

Oh yeah, the RenaultSport decal on the front seats is in colour on mine and in Grey on the Mk2s Ive seen.
Thats one thing I really wish theyd carried forward to the Mk2! Its a small detail but it looks soooo good on the Mk1.