ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Ph1 tail lights on a Mk2 ph2?

Clio II
Hi guys, I was going to get a Clio mk3 due to better safety but decided that the mk2 is my true clio love lol. :hearteyes: The mk3 is somehow more boring looking.
Back in high school I fell in love with a purple-blue (nymphea) Clio mk2 ph1. I didn't like the ph2 triangle front lights and rear lights with the white bits. I guess the reason for me hating the facelift front was that virtually every taxi in my town back then was the saloon version of the mkii ph2 Clio - the Symbol. However, lately I've been starting to feel like the front of the ph1 bores me, it started to look too bland and dated to me, not in a good way (I usually prefer retro). And the interiors of the ph2s look better. I guess I should go with a ph2 instead? I've also noticed that the ph2 offers a larger amount of cool paints like many greens and blues, bluish-greens, orange. The ph1 only had nymphea and various greens, the other colors bore me. Is it true that the ph2 is more secure in a crash as some sources claim they improved the structure?

Too many questions I know, but am I the only one who's preferences change over time? The only bits of the ph2 I still dislike are the very popular with clio fans ph2 tail lights, I just prefer all-red tail lights for the cleaner look they have. Btw, on the same note I prefer the very early Citroen C2 all-red tail lights. Anyway, I guess retrofitting ph1 tail lights on a ph2 is less work than changing the front of the ph1 to ph2. I am curious if someone has actually put the ph1 tail lights on a ph2 despite how unpopular that is? All-red taillights fans unite!:smile:I wonder how it would look? Cheers!

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Putting PH1 rears on a PH2 is as easy as unplugging one and plugging the other ones in.

Look at @dann2707 thread, he's recently fitted PH1 rear lights to his PH2.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Putting PH1 rears on a PH2 is as easy as unplugging one and plugging the other ones in.

Look at @dann2707 thread, he's recently fitted PH1 rear lights to his PH2.

No it's not. You need to rearrange some wires in the connector. There's a guide somewhere.

Also Ph1/2 interiors can be swapped, I had a Ph1 with a Ph2 interior and I'd take that every day ;)

Clio II
Thanks, leeds2592, I definitely dig the look (from @dann2707 thread): http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g62/dann2707/20160114_081344_HDR_zpspevjhwfw.jpg
Now I'd like to change the focus of the thread on some more ph1 vs ph2 - I've read some sources that claim that with the ph2 facelift Renault improved the structure, is this just a myth? Afriend of mine that got the ph2 said that the facelifted models are less prone to getting their boots open by themselves or something.
Also Ph1/2 interiors can be swapped, I had a Ph1 with a Ph2 interior and I'd take that every day :wink:
True, but I'd also have to change the front from a ph1 to a ph2 too as I no longer find the ph1 front as attractive as before. The ph2 front really grew on me. And since the ph2 had way more cool body colours (and wore even mundane colours better, e.g. I'd take a bright red/dark blue ph2 over the same shade ph1 any day), I'll probably have to repaint it as well. It would be much more cheaper to just buy a ph2 and put some ph1 tail lights on it. :wink: I guess liking something for ages before actually considering buying it does that to you - one day you wake up to discover you'd rather get the facelift. :wink:

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
No idea on the crash structure - I doubt it though.

Your friend may have been on about the bonnets, the earlier clios were prone to bonnet catches jamming and the bonnet opening on the road - keep it greased and it's fine though.

Clio II
A couple of online articles from 2001-2002 claim "The current Clio was given a facelift last summer with "at least 50%" new structural and bodywork components, according to Renault." Also one of the car magazines I bought back in September 2001 had a ph2 review claiming the same. Not sure if not just marketing gimmicks though and cannot find more info on that online.

Clio II
I can no longer edit my previous post, but I like this as well. So I might try spraying them red or applying a red film. If it doesn't work I'll get some ph1 ones. Looks just as good as ph1 ones if not better, I just love all-red tail lights, they look so clean.
DSC00365.jpg

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
A couple of online articles from 2001-2002 claim "The current Clio was given a facelift last summer with "at least 50%" new structural and bodywork components, according to Renault." Also one of the car magazines I bought back in September 2001 had a ph2 review claiming the same. Not sure if not just marketing gimmicks though and cannot find more info on that online.
Bonnet, wings, F&R bumpers, tailgate and all the interior could be the 49%, with one minor revision to structure making the 1%.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
They don't fit do they? Why does it look different out of interest?
Nah, you need to cut away a couple of the clips on the back to get them to fit lol.

Ph1 lights have the sidelights at the top and fog light at the bottom of the cluster, but ph2 are the other way about. I think it looks much better when the lights are on with the sidelights at the bottom!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Nah, you need to cut away a couple of the clips on the back to get them to fit lol.

Ph1 lights have the sidelights at the top and fog light at the bottom of the cluster, but ph2 are the other way about. I think it looks much better when the lights are on with the sidelights at the bottom!
That's great to know, thanks a lot for that mate! In the middle of swapping mine over you see, don't suppose you have a pic of them illuminated?