ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Modded blue LED dials

I have finally modded my Mk1 dials (speedo & petrol) with blue LEDs.

Took a few attempts as I required more LEDs than I first thought due to them having quite a narrow viewing angle.

In the end I wired 6, in 2 batches of 3 from each of the 2 bulb holders.

Here is what they look like now:

http://img62.exs.cx/img62/2136/dials.jpg

As usual, the photo really doesnt do them justice.

Way better than the stock orange.

Next on to the heater panel and clock...

/Mad

500bhp Scoob

got any pics showing how u did it, would be handy for a how-to guide, id definately want to change my RT1.4 dials as i hate the orangy colour, but id try and get a red LED to try and light up the needle

Mole,

I have loads of photos showing a step by step guide with wiring diagrams, resistor values and the formula to work out the values. I will get this into a guide as soon as possible.

I still need to work on the petrol gauge as it is still a bit faint, whatever you do, get diffused LEDs not clear as the clear ones are just too directional, like mini spot lights and are a pain to get right.

/Mad

500bhp Scoob

yea, well gives me something to get from work, being an electronics engineer, working for an electronics company does have its good points, free electronic components :D

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Quote: Originally posted by madcowz on 14 August 2004

Mole,

I have loads of photos showing a step by step guide with wiring diagrams, resistor values and the formula to work out the values. I will get this into a guide as soon as possible.
Are any of the dash bulbs on ultraleds (or whatever the sites called) a direct swap for the Renault ones? As they have the resistors built in. Being Reanult Im guessing it couldnt be that simple.

Yes,

"A single resistor to convert any of my Leds to work on a 12v System

This will make your 3.5V Leds glow much brighter but a slight decrease in the life of the Led -"

But... One LED replacing one bulb was not enough for my dials, I had to put in 3 LEDs in series per bulb holder.

You can work ou what you require by

Resistance = (Source Voltage - LED forward voltage)/current.

In my case this was R = (12-(3x3.4)/30

As I had 3 LEDs at 3.4V each in series, making a value of R = 60 ohms. the nearest resistor to this is a 62ohm.

/Mad

Ok,

next stage nearly complete.

I have been working on the heater dials. This was a little more involved.

What I have done is:

1) Removed unit from dash
2) Removed dials
3) Heated plastic front sheet with hairdryer and peeled off
4) Cut out all of the heater dial symbols with a craft knife (tedious, they are tiny)
5) Glued greaseproof paper to the back (took a while to find some environment-unfriendly bleached white paper) to diffuse the light
6) Wired in 3 LEDs and am in the process of gluing them in position.

Tested last night and it looks brilliant.

Again, will post pictures when complete.

/Mad