ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Monaco 172 Track Car

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Bargain, It was too far for me to travel and I am not travelling for car parts until we are allowed otherwise I would’ve been all over them! Facebook is a bloody nightmare for time wasters! I’ve had someone jade the crap out of me to buy £15 worth of stuff, then just not turn up! Weirdo

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Bargain, It was too far for me to travel and I am not travelling for car parts until we are allowed otherwise I would’ve been all over them! Facebook is a bloody nightmare for time wasters! I’ve had someone jade the crap out of me to buy £15 worth of stuff, then just not turn up! Weirdo

I get them people all the time. I had someone try to barter me down £2.50 for something I'd listed for £25 and had 45 people messaging me about😑😂

I think I need to shop at Asda :)

What colour you think bud?
Gonna stick to silver mate

Turinis look wicked in a fresh silver

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
I get them people all the time. I had someone try to barter me down £2.50 for something I'd listed for £25 and had 45 people messaging me about😑😂

Gonna stick to silver mate

Turinis look wicked in a fresh silver

Will look wicked mate. You doing them yourself or taken them to someone? I highly recommend Metal Magic at Barnsley.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Got a nice delivery the other day

20200620_122130.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
its a very weird month

20200705_004032.jpg

Every time I walk into my office I'm reminded that we should have been going to Blyton for a weekend of laughs and track time with mates

And the fact that my car sits 10ft away currently with a very unhappy gearbox! To say its lasted a year of abuse I would say its not done bad! Genuinely cannot wait until next year because CSF is the only thing most forum members will bother to attend. Car park meets arent something im interested in and its not often someone will organise a proper outing unless its the other end of the country.

The rest of this year I'll spend doing the jobs I've always needed to do like cage, shifter, 182 manifold, mapping, polishing inlets, steering wheel, EPAS and about 75,000 other things

Next year should be a good one... I mean its hard to get any worse after this one😂

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Strange question Kyle, but do you know which dealership supplied your car new. Looks like a local plate to me in Gloucestershire. We sold bucket loads of 172’s back in the day. Just wondering on the off chance we sold it!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Strange question Kyle, but do you know which dealership supplied your car new. Looks like a local plate to me in Gloucestershire. We sold bucket loads of 172’s back in the day. Just wondering on the off chance we sold it!
I haven't got a clue mate. I'm the 5th owner and the only Northerner to have it😂 It didnt come with any proper dealer plates either

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Part 1

Stripped the gearbox, manifold and cat off the other day. On the passenger side the selector seal had coated that side and my CV on the other side had just decided to exit all the grease onto the block and everything else in sight. After a few hours I had the subframe off, box out and the manifold and cat out

Considering the car has only been together for 1 year and less than 4k miles this is what I looked like after 3 f**king hours of tinkering!
20200820_122159.jpg

Box out

20200820_131908.jpg

The clutch is still completely fine for now, its not a hard job to remove the box and change the clutch so I'm not worried about it. Its standard power so it should cope. If not I have a few good used spares from cars I've stripped

Even after a mere 4 hours it looked like a bomb went off
20200820_131916.jpg

I heat wrapped my exhaust manifold and link pipe... I did this mid August on the hottest day of the year so far🤦‍♂️😂 Shorts and a vest wasnt a good idea because I felt like a leper afterwards

20200812_163441.jpg

This came off, the exhaust wrap does actually work. Engine bay temps were reduced in comparison to a standard manifold, tested using a Fluke temp gun too so not just a guess. For the sake of £20 its a good way of not melting stuff. The all important cat departed which will pay for other things👀

20200820_112531.jpg

State of the subframe. Bearing in mind I cleaned this 1 YEAR AGO! That much f**king oil and grease on it Donald Trump declared war on it ffs

20200820_161910.jpg
20200820_161916.jpg

I manhandled the box into place, it slid on first time with no issue what so ever. Obviously I got nervous, pulled it back off again to check if the release bearing was sitting properly😂 It was, I was just being a paranoid weirdo but its better to be paranoid than bolt it all back up, press the clutch and hear a slight clunk😢

My subframe bolts were crusty so I checked my bolt buckets, found some MK3 Clio subframe bolts which were slightly longer but less fucked. I just used the standard nuts on the rear bolts though as they're mahoosive things. The front ones i just grabbed some other 10.9 grade bolts and some fresh nuts. If its good enough to hold a MK3 together then its good enough for a MK2

20200820_150631.jpg

Standard amount of copper grease needed on a subframe bolt. It was carefully torqued to 16 ugga duggas on setting 2 of my Milwaukee gun (dont worry I spread that amount onto the other bolt too before you all cry)

20200820_164624.jpg

State of the old box. Will keep as spares for when I get a diff, it looks nice in the garage next to the other 3 gearboxes I have in there 😂

20200820_131029.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Part 2

Whilst under the car I noticed this

20200820_093925.jpg

No not the cable tied brake line @Louis! Pretty sure that spring aint meant to look like that🤔

Swapped all my springs for some Grams ones i had in the garage

20200820_204354.jpg

20200822_110923.jpg

Exhaust all back up and bokted together, was a tight fit but no leaks after I blebbed the 2nd join full of mastic

20200820_203937.jpg

Filled the box up with standard NFJ
20200820_195247.jpg

This is one of them tools worth its weigh in gold!! Took me all of 2 mins to put over 3l of oil in the box!

20200820_200555.jpg

Fitted the inlet up with a new breather gasket, part nunber in the pic for anyone wanting one

20200820_204737.jpg

All back together and ready to fire... or maybe not fire... fingers crossed

20200821_192916.jpg

Started like it was never apart, although my dash had other ideas🤔😂😂 ITS CHRRRIISSSSTMAAAASSSSS😂

20200822_123030.jpg

This was the state of the front section of my garage afterwards, absolute disarray. Nobody has time to tidy away after a long day. Just cheb everything in the pink bucket and shut the door😂

20200820_214913.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Part 3

Now it wouldnt be a Clio without something going wrong!

Drove it for about 40 miles and started hearing a slight clunking from the rear, pulled over and instantly knew what it was. Rear shocker had worked its way loose. Really really lucky it didn't snap the bolt off in the beam

Luckily @Louis came to my rescue with an 18mm open ended spanner

20200822_161324.jpg

The car drives so much better now, no more crunchy gear changes or missing 3rd gear!

Next jobs are to do my track rod boots, get a 172 cup offside shaft, oil change and then just rag its tits off! I forget how fun these are to drive, overtaking people on the B roads to work is ace and never gets old. The car is just ridiculously loud now😂 182 manifold, decat into an unresonated ktec stealth, proper asbo machine. Its really quite raspy between 3 and 4k revs too

Quick sound clip I forced my mrs to record

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Not compared to my Megane. I'd sooner do 10 Clio gearboxes compared to that heavy motherfucker! 😂

In short, subframe out, gearbox out, check clutch, gearbox in, subframe back on. Not the worlds hardest job but can be a bit of a pain if you don't have much knowledge

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Did you sort out all the lights?
Some, EML was because of the decat which has gone off, ABS has gone of since driving it but airbag, TC and serv were on before because my angle sensor is a dick and my steering wheel airbag is a shithouse😂😂 Ive got an RS Tuner with all modules but need CLIP to reset the angle value

Gave it a wash, it had been sat for 2 months unloved

20200823_092006.jpg
20200823_091836.jpg
20200823_092116.jpg

Need to get these Rota's powdercoated, I painted them in my garden whilst I was hammered😂😂

20200823_092949.jpg
20200823_093002.jpg

First time using Bilt Hamber auto foam. Properly good stuff, way better than the last s**t I used!!

Used Sonax BSD as a drying aid, works way better using it like that compared to using it on dry paintwork as it leaves a weird streaky residue

20200823_094947.jpg
20200823_101513.jpg
20200823_101502.jpg

20200823_101418.jpg
20200823_101438.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Nice this, what tracks you usually visit?
When I get my cage in I'll try and book onto Oulton or Cadwell. Would have been booked onto Blyton twice and Cadwell but covid scuppered those and I had a nice fat refund to spunk on more parts 😂

I'd have booked onto something again for when stuff re-opened but the gearbox had other ideas and a family holiday was on the cards so I've called this year a big L

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just a record for myself

27/08/2020
Oil + Filter

Genuine Purflux filter and Shell 5w40

View attachment 1492595

Cleaned the dipstick too, was a bit grotty. Brake cleaner and a dish sponge scrubby side for anyone wondering

View attachment 1492596View attachment 1492597

Did you put the dish cloth back on the drainer before she got home? Or did she find you outside scrubbing your dip stick?

Car looks very tidy mate! I thought the Rotas would look awful but they really suit the car.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Did you put the dish cloth back on the drainer before she got home? Or did she find you outside scrubbing your dip stick?

Car looks very tidy mate! I thought the Rotas would look awful but they really suit the car.
It was my mums, I asked her if she wanted it back but she was like "nah you're alright son, although it would make my spoons look good" 😂

Yeah the slipstreams do look quite well. Fingers crossed I can get my hands on some B14's soon so I can drop it down a tad as it has quite the arch gap on cup shocks and grams springs

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I know this is probably sacrilege, but I'm not really a fan of Monaco for some reason, even though I usually like dark blues.

Really like this though, all works together really nicely.