ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT advisory help

Renault Clio 182 BG
On my recent MOT i had an advisory that i need putting in layman's terms;

Brake advisories: RBT Service brake efficiency 60%, RBT brake imbalance 7% and 20%

So my brakes are only 60% efficient? Both disc's and pads are fine (front) the backs are typical of a Cup and are quite corroded but they still have plenty of meat and bite on the disc evenly but its the imbalance and i dont really understand.

Im changing the rear brakes and bearings this week and while and im working on it would be worthwhile to bleed the brakes to try and combat the imbalance?
If i brake and have loose grip on the steering wheel the car doesn't jump to one side which i would expect if it had such a massive difference on braking balance.

Renault Clio 182 BG
I havent personally done it (previous owner) but i think i remember seeing the invoice dated 2012

twingo
50% for the front brakes, 25 for the rears and 16% for the handbrake for your 182 as it falls before september 2010. id say 60% is a bit low, but still perfectly fine. i'd change the fluid over and clean up the brakes when you've got some spare time. get some brake fluid into the rubber seal and you should be good to go man :) as Addicted said, the biggest bet would be that the brake fluid has just ingressed a little bit more water than you'd ideally want but nothing to worry about

Renault Clio 182 BG
Thanks, im not really concerned over the actual breaking as the brutally honest they are the best brakes ive ever had on a car, standard disc's with DS2500 pads. Not the most hardcore set up but perfectly fine for what i use it for.

Mines a 172 Cup btw, someone once told me they only have 12% breaking for the rear.
The MOT tester initially failed it as it was missing the spring in the rear brake compensator which after a bit of research while he was doing the rest of test turned out they Cup come without the spring as it constantly locked up then had to explain to him what the Cup actually was (lightened ect ect)

twingo
as much as that could be true, it would have to be a lie because cups would fail MOT's left right and centre dude but i know for certain cups aren't as strong on rear braking (because we all know they do feck all when it comes to braking compared to normal cars to keep it basic!). bit of a predicament there lol

Renault Clio 182 BG
As far as im aware i think he just put it down as normal 172 not the cup and there was a VOSA update issued a while back stating that the Cups do not have this spring in the rear brake compensator so not to fail it. In the end i rung Renault and K-tec just to get advise on the matter.

I think its going to be worthwhile changing the fluid mind as no doubt it only will need doing soonish, hope that solves my problem.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
imbalance wont be caused by old fluid but still worth changing if done in 2012 .

will be sticking calipers,sliders or pads tight in the housing if its 20% imbalance on the service brake or flexi starting to collapse .
if its on the hand brake could be the same as above or from stretched sized or frayed cables