ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT failure - Not to bad - Bit of help though please

Arctic Blue 182
Annual visit to the GP (MOT) has given me a couple of bits to do and I`m a bit short on time to do research due to work. Need to get this sorted, parts delivered by the weekend, so need to ask, as there are a squillion different posts:

Failed on - Track rod end ball joint (Ns) and rear shock, shockingly leaky

Advisories on - Play on steering rack inner joint (os) and worn bush (the poor girl) shock absorber rear upper (os)

Need to get all my parts ordered and delivered before the weekend (yay to working in the snow), been trawling for what to go for (OEM or aftermarkets) and could use some advice on what parts to get. Also what else I should be doing/getting whilst I`m at it?

Cheers

PH2 172
Whoops forgot to mention FF 182

Thanks for the quick reply fella.

If you are going to order a pair of rear shocks ( always fit as a pair ) from Wolverhampton, you may as well order the inner tie rod & track rod end at the same time.
16-12-23 INNER TIE ROD KIT 7701473656.jpg

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
All FF have cup packs as that’s what it means.

Rear shock change is easy, don’t even need to jack the car up?

And track rod/ball joint end isn’t anything serious either?

The rest id sort after the MOT if you’re short on time?

Arctic Blue 182
Cheers for clarifying @DrR - Think i would have remembered that after owning her for 10 years.

Yep all the job`s are easy enough, just need to get the bits ordered and in before Saturday

Re: track road end, ball joint - So its best to refresh the whole lot rather than just the ball joint?

Reactions: DrR

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
It's at the age where anything rubber is going to want replacing.

If you've got budget, go round the whole car with new bushings/TREs/ARB-links. It will feel like a new car.

PH2 172
Cheers for clarifying @DrR - Think i would have remembered that after owning her for 10 years.

Yep all the job`s are easy enough, just need to get the bits ordered and in before Saturday

Re: track road end, ball joint - So its best to refresh the whole lot rather than just the ball joint?

Best to replace in one go, rather than do half the job twice.
You will need a tool to change the inner tie rod though.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universa...m=172837707274&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

And the patience of a saint to get the new rubber boot back on the rack, especially on the driver's side.

Arctic Blue 182
Got to love the guys @renaultpartsdirect - delivered in under 24 hours (22 to be precise) and at a great price too :up:. May put up some pics of fitting up on Saturday but will probs be to cold to faff about with the camera

20180301_120444.jpg

PH2 172
Got to love the guys @renaultpartsdirect - delivered in under 24 hours (22 to be precise) and at a great price too :up:. May put up some pics of fitting up on Saturday but will probs be to cold to faff about with the camera

View attachment 1358165

See you decided to fit both sides.
Remember to count the number of threads when you remove the TRE`s, so you can drive to get the tracking set in a reasonably straight line.

Arctic Blue 182
@STEVE.M - Will do! Currently working out if I get Kiwk Fit to do the tracking on the Hunter for £68 or my usual local guy with his bits of string (he probs has a laser of some sort) for £30.. .

Arctic Blue 182
If you have been happy with your usual guy up to now, I`d stick with him.

Just playing with using the hunter as it will all be new bits - My cheapskate nature has kicked in and its booked in for the 30 quidder.

Tie rod wrench just arrived so all set to go :up:

PH2 172
Just playing with using the hunter as it will all be new bits - My cheapskate nature has kicked in and its booked in for the 30 quidder.

Tie rod wrench just arrived so all set to go :up:

The hunter would be good, my reservation is do they have a pilot to fly it?

Arctic Blue 182
The tie rod tool was bloody useless, think it may have been slightly to big, ended up using a pip wench on the passenger side. Drivers side there was no room so just aborted as that was only an advisory. Still car feels tons better, with new shocks and just the one side with the refreshed tie rod and TRE. Cheers again for the help :up:

PH2 172
The tie rod tool was bloody useless, think it may have been slightly to big, ended up using a pip wench on the passenger side. Drivers side there was no room so just aborted/QUOTE]

??? Did you use a long extension, so that the ratchet was clear of the subframe etc in the wheel arch?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Just a crap tool mate don't worry about it, with the correct one it's an absolute breeze.
\/

s-l500.jpg