ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 106 GTi... (FAO Gally...)

RS Clio Trophy
Straight out of the box they are awesome cars, heres my old one
CarsMisc048.jpg

if you ever want advice on what mods to do to it (as i know what works and what doesent on these) just PM me

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Thought those were 15's on the gti.

Not fancy some vts wheels danny or cyclones?

Keeping pennies for our naughty night out?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
icon1.gif
Upgrading fronts to 266mm discs and Bosch Calipers - 01-05-2009

First off, watch what discs and calipers you buy. I got my calipers from a 52 plate 206 GTi, however I bought discs that are for a 98-00 206, these are the wrong offset and won't fit on your 106! Make sure the discs and pads you buy are for 01> on models of 206.

I had more pictures but they seem to have gone from my phone.
frown.gif

Note, make sure you torque up the two caliper bolts on each side after you have them back in. Check haynes, I torqued up to 80lbft.

So without further ado....

1st thing pop bonnet and remove the master cylinder cap, stretch a polyethene bag over it and put the lid back on to make it air tight, this helps reduce the fluid leak. (I don't like using hose clamps).

Jack up the car, get it on axle stands and remove the wheel bolts. Then remove the two disc screws on the face (if they are there) while the pads have still got some bite on disc. These can be a bit of a b**ch to get out, and they're not needed so you can toss them if you chew the head: the wheel bolts and caliper secure the disc.

Squirt the union, the bleed nipple and the caliper bolts (behind the disc) with your best friend, WD40.

Now crack the brake cable union that goes onto the caliper:

CrackingUnion.jpg

Now look behind the caliper and remove the hex bolts (19mm), there is two of them on each caliper and they are torqued up pretty tight:

DSC00131.jpg

I'm missing a picture here but you need to seperate the pads from the discs to actually get the caliper off, I used a flat headed screw driver and wedged it off. Once it's off, simply twist it to loosen it from the union and put the hose upwards and put it in your springs to hold it there.

The disc will probably be seized against the hub, use some gentle persuasion with a mallet or hammer and it'll come off.
This'll be what you're left with:

DSC00134.jpg

Now we're on to the Bosch calipers, here's how they are compared to the GTi ones:

DSC00118.jpg

It's not just the 283mm calipers that need grinding but these too. The picture below shows what I removed. You see the bump in the circle to the right? Well that _was_ the same on the left side, it's that you need to grind off. Make sure it's the top of the caliper you grind, the bottom off the caliper lines up with the holes fine.

DSC00132_circles.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

Now put your pads inside your caliper and you are ready to go. (make sure the caliper piston is back in it's bore as it's simpler to get your caliper and pads over the disc)

Place your disc on

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x800.
DSC00135.jpg

Now just twist the caliper back onto the flexi hose and line up the holes at the back and put the bolts back in. (grease them up first
smile.gif
)

And here's what you should be left with:

DSC00128.jpg

Look at the mess I made of them
frown.gif
, you might have to clean your caliper up a bit if you're a messy **** like me.

Now, you will have to rotate the disc about a bit to line up with the holes, alternatively you can just put the small bolts back in that were removed earlier and this will hold it.
Now you'll have to bleed the brakes, I bled the whole system just to be on the safe side. Start from the furthest away from the master cylinder to the closest, I.E. Back right, back left, driver side, passenger side.

Wheels back on and jobs a good un.

DSC00137.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...undance2-4.png

"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion."

-- Robert M. Pirsig

Last edited by Jim_; 13-05-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I bought a china blue 1 after I wrote off my 172 cup, was lowered so handled well. But all I wanted was another Clio sport. Did get 137mph on a private road though ; ). Only had pipercross induction kit. I've only just sold it. They would make a great little rally project.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
CarsMisc049.jpg

TSW evo R's if i'm not mistaken?

Red looks gorgeous mate.

clio 172 cup
they seem to be generally quite expensive though! u can pick up ph1 or ph2 172s 4 the same price, so it seems on pistonheads neway.

Mainly a tow truck
Great cars, had a few of them now, the only thing is the pedals are quite close together, you soon get used to driving the car with the sides of your feet though.

Yours looks a nice example, in diablo red.

Carl