ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 182ff track car build (so far)



1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Whilst the engine bay was completely empty I figured I would give it a good clean up to get rid of the grim and dirt. I borrowed my father in laws little steam cleaner and started cleaning.

20190330_161005.jpg


Good little tool, didnt have to use any chemicals just a microfiber cloth to wipe it off after.

I actually forgot to get a full before picture but I did get one...

Before
20190330_160956.jpg


After
20190330_165731.jpg

20190330_160959.jpg


Cleaned up really well but now I could see the rusty bits 🙈
 

Hxrry

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno Orange 182
Outstanding thread, I am so impressed with everything you have done and your attention to detail. Great work, look forward to seeing more pics ;).
 

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Now that pretty much everything was stripped out of the engine bay and wheel arches and I stupidly cleaned every up, I could see the rusty bits 🤬

Which is not acceptable for me....

So out the wire wheel came and I removed any surface rust I could find.

20190514_140615.jpg

Around the brake pipe brackets and the ABS wire clips
20190514_140620.jpg

Up into the tops of the suspension turrets
20190514_140625.jpg

And on the inner wheel archs
20190515_145810.jpg

20190515_145805.jpg
20190515_145757.jpg

I then used red scotch bright with panel wipe to key the paint and remove any wax oil or oil deposits from the inner arches.
Once the areas were clean I brushed Jenolite rust converter over the bare steel and left it for a good hour to dry properly. I then used Etch primer to cover the bare steel first, then used a stonechip primer to give a decent thick paint protection and finished the job with bog standard alloy wheel silver which I must say is an extremely close colour match for my car.
20190514_144554.jpg

Any holes that I no longer required I used aluminium tape to cover with 3 layers for strength. I put this on over the etch primer so it would not react with the bare steel.

Really tidied the arches up and now rust free for a while longer.
 


Top