ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 182ff track car build (so far)

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Excellent attention to detail, the zinc plating is giving me ideas. :ROFLMAO:

What did you use to blast the engine just a gun on a compressor?

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
One of these m8
Screenshot_20200120-210139_Chrome.jpg

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Its pissing down, I have a river running through my garden so I'll sit and write abit more on here.

Next I tackled the gearbox. Same idea as the rocker cover. Using wire wheels on my drill I remove the oxidized crud to reveal clean ally. Gave it a good blow off with the air line and the used panel wipe to remove any oils or greases.
Using the same VHT enginal enamel as the block I masked the bits off I didnt want paint on and gave it a good couple of coats to seal it. Looks like its brand new now!

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I dont know if I've already said in a previous post couldnt be bothered to look but Mark fitted a Gripper and its been overhauled aswell will see me right for a good while now.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I dont know if I've already said in a previous post couldnt be bothered to look but Mark fitted a Gripper and its been overhauled aswell will see me right for a good while now.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Eventually I managed to get hold of the timing tools and my m8 to help me get the engine off the stand.
Locked the engine in place, removed the old battered crank pulley and fitted the new lightweight one I got in the kit.
We then sat it on its head on an old sofa cushion so we could remove the sump to fit a new gasket. It had a slight weep before it was removed so what better time than now to do it! I also managed to get hold of a stretch belt to try.
20190712_194036.jpg

We replaced the crank seal behind the flywheel because there was oil in the gearbox when I removed it. We then put it all back together and fit the belt. Think it was a continental 6pk 862mm stretch belt.
20190713_185708.jpg

Wish I'd painted the crank nut now.

20190713_185129.jpg

So that's the gearbox ready, engine ready, all the nuts and bolts to mate the 2 bits back together painted ready. The centre driveshafts bearing bracket painted. All that needs to happen now is arrange the boys to come round and get it thrown back in (without any scratches or bumps!) One weekend and we are finally getting somewhere!

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be honest, the plan was to get a load of pictures putting the lightend flywheel, clutch and box on. Then on the hoist ready to drop in but trying to rein back 3 helpers making sure all bolts were torqued to spec and nothing was being over looked or missed whilst trying not to damage my fresh paintwork was exhausting!! Bloody animals!
It probably took 2 hours in total trying to be careful to build it up and drop it back in with zero damage but we go there in the end.

Once it was in and secure I made the brews and some food then thanked them and sent them on their way. I couldnt cope anymore. It was like looking after 3 kids all asking wheres the nut for this, wheres the nut for that, whose got the 13mm whose got this whose got that 🤯
I would mind but I had set everything out with all the parts necessary prior to them turning up to make it easy!!

Anyway once they had gone I set about linking the coolant pipes up, wiring up and anything that I could do before putting the bodies back on.

At that stage I was going to pack up for the day and enjoy the sun but then I figured let's get it running first.
20190715_201650.jpg

So rad back in, main part of the bodies on, I put some Redline MT90 oil in the gearbox through the wet side drive shaft hole so with the drag from the engine it wouldnt spin dry.
Threw some cheap engine oil in as I wasnt 100% sure there wasnt any grit from blasting in there, this was going to be basically run it up to temp leave it on idle for an hour and then drop it back out, change the filter and then put Millers motorsport proper oil in. But for now it was fine just to start it. Ran a brand new throttle cable to the bodies.
Filled the coolant with just water as I wanted to flush the system anyway and then gave it a crank to see if it would start. It wouldnt, after a little investigation I had left the crank sensor unplugged 🤪.
Plugged it in and hey presto!!

20190720_135858.jpg
20190720_135906.jpg

Taking shape nicely, happy with how everything has turned out so far.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Now that the engine was back in and running I could concentrate on a few other bits like wheels and shafts.

I got a set of 5 2118's in white with the car. They had R888r on 2 and AR1 on the other 2 with one loose alloy. I trashed them at Cadwell so I fancied trying full slicks. Managed to get my hands on some Hankook's, only been scrubbed in for £150 which was an absolute bargain!

So I stripped the wheels waiting for the new rubber to turn up. When they arrived the back 2 looked like they had picked up more rubber than they left the factory with!
20190729_102005.jpg

After looking over the wheels I thought I would do my car an injustice bolting the tatty rims back on to gleaming suspension components so I sent then for powder coating in gloss black,3 day turn round £150 happy days!
20190802_163658.jpg

They turned up around 10am so I fit the rubber in my dinner hour ready to take home that night.
20190805_181659.jpg

When I got home I couldnt wait to offer them up. They looked sick, but I wasnt sure if they were too big or not.
20190805_191106.jpg
20190805_191038.jpg

The next day the decals I ordered arrived so clearly had to fit them asap because race car. It finished them off perfectly.
20190825_184906.jpg

My drive shafts were pretty minging, 15 years of rust. So I sent them to Pages to be reconditioned. I explained to the bloke "I want these genuine shafts back not some cheap copy product that's already refurb off the shelf" clearly went in one ear and out of the other. If it wasnt for me taking pictures and measuring them I wouldnt have known any difference. But I knew they weren't mine so sent them back and made them find mine. Took 2 weeks to get them back, morons!
They were in a pretty bad way I couldnt put these things onto my shiney new front end.
20190722_133846.jpg
20190722_133858.jpg
20190722_133905.jpg

Looked good but they weren't mine, note no weight on the wet side shaft which made me then check the length. Cant kid a kidda!
20190725_192741.jpg

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Ebay, great tool but I only for certain things. Most of its crap but those little gems you find like a brand new Sparco Evo2 bucket seat for £180!!! Couldnt resist, not a mark on it, same style as my drivers seat without the wings.
20190729_191741.jpg

My buddy was going to pick his Box up from Northloop and whilst he was in Litchfield he collected the seat for me.

Spent a night after work getting it to fit nice. Obviously had to buy the same Sparco side mounts to match the drivers side.
20190808_194859.jpg

So that was the interior done and dusted next I slide the exhaust into the nice silver 182 manifold, attached the spring that hold it together which completed the under side. Bolted the wheels on and dropped it on the ground!
20190803_160856.jpg

Actually able to drive it!!
20190804_141032.jpg

I took it up the road and back maybe a mile in total just to check the brakes, the EPAS that I hadn't even checked worked, no rattles or bangs.
Sat there looking all smug with itself and like a car again!

20190805_181339.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Some great updates. Nice attention to detail. I bet it's nice to have it back running and on the ground. Wheels look really good in black. Very smart.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Now that it was back on the ground I arranged for it to get an MOT, i was going back to the guy who i bought it off. When i called in to book the car in it turned out he had sold his half of the business to his partner. He said no problem though and I booked it in for a weeks time.

🤔 Then I realised I had quite a bit of work to get it ready for the MOT so I made a start on making a bracket for the ABS ECU to mount onto. You need this to run your wheel speed sensors for your speedo, I tried running just one front sensor but it only read 50% speed so when I was at 60mph it was only saying 30mph so I had to buy another front one for the other side which fixed the issue.

Started of with some sheet steel. I scribed around the ECU and then added 10mm for my fold lines. I centre punched the 6 bolt holes I needed to drill and then test fitted it before I did my bends.
20190729_200039.jpg

Next I made two 90° bends at each end and cut the excess metal off that I didnt want. Drilled 4 6mm holes so I could attach it to the car and test fitted it. I rounded the 4 sharp corners off, sanded the full bracket and gave it a quick etch prime for the bare metal and satin black to finish.
20190811_085001.jpg

The only place I could mount it where the wires would reach was on the bulkhead below the coolant header tank. It worked well tucked out of the way and looked neat enough. I ran a thin bead of seam sealer around the edge of the ECU to seal it against the bracket to stop water and moisture getting in and job done, works a treat.
20190811_131509.jpg

Next I need to tackle the nimbus sheet I bought for the manifold heat shield.