ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My detailed guide to Clio 182 HID bulb replacement.

RB 182 FF
Hi guys, I've just purchased my 182 and I have upgraded the HID bulbs to 6000k as the OEM ones were a bit yellowy! Anyway I thought I would describe my way of replacing them as many people have said on here it is a bumper off and headlight out job, which I have just proven to myself it definitely isn't!:)

Step 1- Do the passenger side first as there is more room to work to familiarise yourself with the system. Remove the fuse box cover to allow more room to work, remove the big rubber cover on the rear of headlight and you will see a big black box with green wires and a connector connected to it, pull out the connector with green wires and rotate the black box about 45degrees toward the wing of the car and slide out and completely remove, a metal type washer will also come out with it but don't worry as it won't fall off as you remove.

Then unclip the 2 metal prongs which hold the HID bulb in place and very carefully remove the bulb(fiddley but do-able), Im 6foot 3inches with big hands and I managed this fine.. The bulb orientation is so the metal wire on the bulb is facing down towards the floor and the two plastic studs on the bulb base are horizontal. Very carefully slide your new bulb in in this orientation and clip the metal clips back to hold in new bulb.

Then reconnect the black box on the rear of HID bulb by remembering the the orientation it was removed at and rotate 45degrees back the opposite direction until it is back square and horizontal, then reconnect the connector with green wires, replace rubber cover on light and fuse box cover and that's one headlight complete!!!!!!:)

Step 2- Now attempt the driver side which is more tricky!! Remove rubber cover again and remove green wire connector from black box, once again rotate black box 45 degrees the same direction as before and remove. Then remove existing bulb as previously explained by unclipping the 2 metal clips and slide bulb out.

At this point I will say you have to work your hands both sides around the big annoying pipe that is right in the way of access!!!!! To fit the new HID bulb you will find you need to use your left hand as the bulb provider and slide your right hand around the right hand side of the big pipe and use a pinser style action using two fingers to receive and hold the bulb from your left hand, this will enable you to gentley slide the bulb into position in the headlight!! It is hard to explain but when you come to attempt it will all make sense I hope!!:) Now reattach all connectors as previously explained and hopefully you will have 2 new HID bulbs in your 182!!!!!!!:)

If this explanation is useless I do apologise.....lol. And good luck!!!!!!!:D

Thanks for this VR46. Just changed my standards to 6000k and with the help of this guide it took me just under half an hour. Very fiddly, but well worth it. Cheers.

Arctic bl. 182 & pac
Good instructions! Just did my 182 lights after noticing serious 'pink eye' on one light. Instead of paying 300€ for garage, decided to save 250€ and do it myself. I can't find any misleading parts or anything to be changed in instructions. Just follow them to the letter. I did the right side first and in hindsight, that was the only mistake I made as it really is better to do left side first to familiarize yourself with the procedure. First one took 30mins+ as its reeeeally tight spot but the other less then 10mins.

It did 'shred' some skin off the right hand/wrist but it is worth it!

Lights are 6k, and they look good.

ukfirebird

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182, silver
Superb, took me 30 minutes to do both of them.
Many thanks as I didn't fancy taking the bumper off.