ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Mini Cooper S

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
After 3 months of looking high and low for the perfect Mini Cooper S I finally found one that was perfect and ticked all the boxes!

Firstly, in the past, ive only ever owned Clios since the first one i got when i passed my driving test. From then on ive owned 4 up until this day!

1 ended up like this - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...s-Baked-Bean&p=7408992&viewfull=1#post7408992

Im now selling this one - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...d-Baked-Bean&p=8881081&viewfull=1#post8881081

I went and viewed it last weekend (Sat 19th). I left a deposit later that evening and then went to collect it on friday.

A long train journey into Kings Cross, which was delayed :mad:, then a tube to Paddington and another train on to Maidenhead to pick her up.

So here is the new beast! (Sorry for the dirty pics!)

10522179723_ff4bb8f2fb_c.jpg

Mini Cooper S by Bonxy, on Flickr

10521948135_a126c9494b_c.jpg

10521955084_69416bb0c8_c.jpg

10522037985_bc088daced_c.jpg

10522103663_36d9df7900_c.jpg

10522003655_0bf74ba34a_c.jpg

I absolutely love it.

What an amazing little car. Ive always been a fan of the Clio but these things are so well built and are just a pleasure to drive. I did a 360 mile trip on the way home on one tank and that included some heavy footed moments. The smile still hasn't went from my face.

The car itself has just under 45,000 on it.

- Full heated leather seats
- Multi functional steering wheel with cruise control
- Bluetooth integration with voice control
- Drivers arm rest with docking station
- Electric folding and heated wing mirrors
- Front mounted spotlights
- Union Jack roof
- Stop start technology
- Full MINI / BMW service history

The only problem with the car at the moment is the union jack decal on the roof has faded. I did plan on getting rid of this as i would rather just have a white roof anyway.

Plans for the car are to get the roof sorted and then keep it clean. Eventually i might go for a new intercooler and remap but that will be when i get bit a bored.

I also bought the union jack interior mirror cover off eBay as it came up for a bargain price and thought it would suit the car.

Hope you guys approve.

Passat
Very nice mate. I'd seriously consider one. How are the seats? I've always thought they look a little unsupportive. Other than that I think the interiors are very smart.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice car but holy crap I hope you've got a fully comp BMW warranty.

Yeh it does. It expires at the end of November so ive just re-paid for the next 3 years.

I did my homework before buying one and this one seemed the best. Its had its recalls for the chain tensioners and it hasnt shown and hesitations like some of them do due to carbon build up.

Ill just keep it serviced and hopefully all will be grand.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Very nice mate. I'd seriously consider one. How are the seats? I've always thought they look a little unsupportive. Other than that I think the interiors are very smart.

The seats in this are amazing.

My GF has a Cooper D and they are just as good in there. Ive never had leather before but i do like it. :eek:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Reliable? Really?? Like you say all i hear of is coking issues/turbo failures?? But if you have a warranty its f**k all odds!

I see the appeal but i'm only really a fan of the R53 GP/JCW variants!

Crutches ATM :)
Get over to mini torque...I'm coming from a line of cooper s. R56 suffer a lot from coming issues and some people have had a nightmare with mini regarding the issue. Oil catch can seems to help with the issue but if your car has warranty I would contact mini to see if they cover with decoking them.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah as said, they seem to be very unreliable cars. Well played on the warranty although I would check thoroughly about whether coking is covered because as I understand it BMW removed it as a warrantable repair.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Yeah as said, they seem to be very unreliable cars. Well played on the warranty although I would check thoroughly about whether coking is covered because as I understand it BMW removed it as a warrantable repair.

They will fix it when it breaks, but wont do the preventative work on warranty anymore, i.e. walnut shell de-coke etc.

Looks nice enough, decent-ish spec, but they need the Works bodykit imho. Your wheelgap will upset Minitorque btw.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
They will fix it when it breaks, but wont do the preventative work on warranty anymore, i.e. walnut shell de-coke etc.

Looks nice enough, decent-ish spec, but they need the Works bodykit imho. Your wheelgap will upset Minitorque btw.

Ha. I did look at some with the subtle drop and it does look good but I promised myself that I wouldn't mess this one up or "mod" it.

Will have to see. Just happy to be driving it at the moment.

A4 Avant
I absolutely loved mine. Such a nice place to be and mine was so well built. Really miss it now. Great on fuel when commuting yet still quick enough to bring a smile to your face. Personally I didn't even really see the issue with the runflats either apart from on one road up in the lake district when it was extremely noisey.

Mine was decoked about 3 months ago under warranty via wall nut blasting by BMW/Mini Oldbury.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
A mate of mine has a clubby JCW one of these, he's had mega issues with it. Still loves it though & in fairness (when it's running) it goes pretty well.

His only seems to run right on super though & has had the coking issue, as well as numerous other problems.

Mini Cooper S
I've got a set of metallic black mirrors if you fancy getting rid of the chrome caps.

And have you really paid for the next 3 years warranty? That's £1900 odd on a car you've just bought?

Mini Cooper S
My warranty was £530 per year with no excess, think it's gone up now.

The warranty is worth its money big time, I've had countless issues. Thankfully its running well at the moment! It's been in for the timing chain & tensioner too many times!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
That is mental, if nothing else at the very least, at least BMW have a sense of humour.

If that were me, i'd have bought something that doesn't require the safety net of a warranty, never mind an expensive warranty. For example, a Mk1 Focus RS isn't going to be far off the price of buying one. And as its done most of its depreciation you don't have that to worry about.

Different ponies for different beaches i suppose.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I've got a set of metallic black mirrors if you fancy getting rid of the chrome caps.

And have you really paid for the next 3 years warranty? That's £1900 odd on a car you've just bought?

I meant the TLC above! My bad.

I just rang up about the warranty as the reg doesn't show up in the system. She is going to get back to me.

Mini Cooper S
Yeah TLC XL is good value tbh. Maybe change the oil here and there too yourself. Keep an eye on the oil, I'm putting apporx 600ml every 1000 miles.

MINI FJCW
Don't get too scared by all the horror stories, I've known plenty of owners of R56 Cooper S/JCW's and they've been fine, me included.

Ive had my JCW 5-6 months now & haven't had one problem, touch wood, still puts a smile on my face every time I put my foot down.

Just as long as you look after it & keep an eye on oil levels you'll be fine, you'll definitely enjoy it!

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Don't get too scared by all the horror stories, I've known plenty of owners of R56 Cooper S/JCW's and they've been fine, me included.

Ive had my JCW 5-6 months now & haven't had one problem, touch wood, still puts a smile on my face every time I put my foot down.

Just as long as you look after it & keep an eye on oil levels you'll be fine, you'll definitely enjoy it!

I will do mate. I knew the engines had problems before i bought it and i did plenty of research. Hopefully mine will be fine! *touch wood*.

Got a progress thread for yours ?

MINI FJCW
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?702162-My-New-2nd-Gen-Chilli-Red-MINI-Cooper-JCW

Thats my thread there. Haven't updated it in a while, but will put some pics up soon. Just purchased the official Mini armrest so will get that tomorrow & fit that!

If you do look into exhausts, get the JCW back box, it will make you giggle like a little girl with the pops and bangs.

Want to shift my run flats ideally, but my rear tyres are basically new so won't bother until they're shot, although a wheel refurb is on the cards but when winter is on its way out!

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Yeah seems like people are scaremongering massively online about these. I have had two now. One cooper s and one jcw (still got it had it 10 months) and not had anything wrong with either. Got my jcw decoked earlier in the year and made a nice diffence.
Cost £220 so hardly a worrying cost.
Looks really nice. And sorry to say it but there is no chance you will keep it standard. There is sooooo much to do to them you won't be able to resist haha

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?702162-My-New-2nd-Gen-Chilli-Red-MINI-Cooper-JCW

Thats my thread there. Haven't updated it in a while, but will put some pics up soon. Just purchased the official Mini armrest so will get that tomorrow & fit that!

If you do look into exhausts, get the JCW back box, it will make you giggle like a little girl with the pops and bangs.

Want to shift my run flats ideally, but my rear tyres are basically new so won't bother until they're shot, although a wheel refurb is on the cards but when winter is on its way out!

Just read through your thread mate. Lovely looking car!

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah seems like people are scaremongering massively online about these. I have had two now. One cooper s and one jcw (still got it had it 10 months) and not had anything wrong with either. Got my jcw decoked earlier in the year and made a nice diffence.
Cost £220 so hardly a worrying cost.
Looks really nice. And sorry to say it but there is no chance you will keep it standard. There is sooooo much to do to them you won't be able to resist haha

When it goes into mini next week for a service and check I'll ask them to check the coking and if it needs doing ill get it done.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Looks nice that mate! The horror stories put me off the R56, which is why I ended up with the facelift R53.

If it was mine, I'd lose the spot lights and get the roof & mirror caps either body coloured or black. I have Sportlines on my R53 (you can see photos of the drop on my thread on here) and the ride is great. Certainly doesn't feel compromised. That could be down to not having run-flats though.

Enjoy!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I prefer other colours. Lose the stripes and lights also. Much cleaner lines.

Oh and the stories of reliability aren't scaremongering it's fact and more common than just stories on the Internet.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I prefer other colours. Lose the stripes and lights also. Much cleaner lines.

Oh and the stories of reliability aren't scaremongering it's fact and more common than just stories on the Internet.

The strips might go when the Union Jack vinyl goes on the roof.

I love the spotlights so they'll be staying in place. :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Since when did modern cars need 'decoking'?

I'm curious, what causes it and why does it only happen on MSC/JCW variants?

Happens with a lot of direct injections cars tbh - the fuel is injected directly into the cylinders, so no fuel washes over the intake valves to clean them, so you get carbon build up. Audi RS4 V8 is another example of the problem, like so:

DSCN3443.jpg

The mini issue is well known as there are quite simply billions of the things flying around, & BMW are forever fixing them on warranty.

Mini info is here: http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f15/r56-mini-cooper-s-carbon-build-up-post-your-issues-here-32763/

Yum.

7363792434_a73257ee15_b.jpg

7363796552_34075e5110_b.jpg