ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Re: My mk1 track car blog

well i had another day yesterday trying to get the car going, but still nothing, thinking it might be coill pack thats playing up (im just putting off decoding another ecu lol)

so thought i'd bleed my brakes as everything was all connected and ready to go, jacked the car up, rear wheels off as both rears need doing at the same time when using the in car adjustable bias valve. sprayed some penetrating fluid on the bleed screws, undid the nearside, then went to the offside, spanner on, gave it a tug.........

DSC00527.jpg

MOTHER F****ING PIECE OF FRENCH S**T!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :dead:

i had to buy 2 front calipers earlier on in the build as one bleed screw had been snapped off previously, and the other had been rounded off!

so i sprayed some lacquer on my arches i've been repairing and called it a day on the clio, went next door and helped the neighbour get his mgb midget started, carbs ftw! had it done in no time, no bloody ecu's to mess about with :rolleyes:

pics of the arches, colour is slightly off and you can see the repair lines underneath, but what do you expect from rattle cans from halfords lol good enough for a track car :approve: plus should look better when ive flatted the lacquer and buffed it up a bit

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

oh and a pic of my white plenum fitted

DSC00526.jpg

anyone want to donate a working coil pack to my cause? will swop for some monies :clown:

172 Race Car

as long as u dont damage the threads in the caliper u should be ok. Personaly id remove it (caliper) from the car and do it in the vice....

Exige S1 + Honda S1

Ive got a new coilpack in the garage if you want it for a nominal amount, pm me

came into work this morning, parcel on my desk, opened it up.......

its my sabelt renaultsport steering wheel :D :D :D

well chuffed with service from R sport and big thanks to D4ve for his help :clap:

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

glad the rear wing fitted well mate, shame they dont do repair sections for the 16v yet

few pics of the wheel for those who havent seen one :D :approve:

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

very very pleased with it :D :cool:

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Love it
Love it
Love it
Love it
Love it
Love it
Love it
Love it

Moo, get me my hammer and piggybank :hail:

'92 172, Lotus Elise

I might be willing to give up my ph1 steering wheel for that!!

trial fitted the steering wheel today, then adjusted the column angle (stole the idea from burp :D) to suit my driving position

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

and spent the rest of the time trying to get it running, but still no luck, time to spend some money methinks :rolleyes:

172 Race Car

I think you are the first of many to be inspired by my coloumn lowering mod

Good work

well today at roughly 11am frankenstein took its first breath.....

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!

th_MOV00008.jpg

you can see my finger in the vacuum pipe as without that it revs of its own accord lol

chuffed is an understatement!! :approve: :D :approve: :D

ValverInBits

WEll done, how dya manage that?

lovely project btw. Im a real fan of the white manifold

cheers guys, im grinning like a cheshire cat here lmao :D

i honestly cant say what i did to fix it lol all i did was buy a multimeter, test that there was voltage to the ecu, then to the coil, and then whilst cranking it over to see if i had voltage to the coil under cranking it fired into life! all i can think is that there was a dodgy connection somewhere and me pushing the multimeter probes into it has sorted it?

ah and the car in the background is a spartan kit car

M

mini-valver

Awesome fella! Hate it when you spend hours titsing about with stufff only to find iots something simple, Good news like, lol

yeh i literally spent hours and hours over the past weeks messing about with it, cranked it over more times than i'd like to remember :eek:

but then as you say, only cost me the price of a multimeter to fix, and even then im not sure how exactly i fixed it lol

im just hoping the problem doesnt come back :S :quiet:

'92 172, Lotus Elise

nice one on gettign it running!

anything to do with that 'earth' i mentioned?

nice one on gettign it running!

anything to do with that 'earth' i mentioned?

no i left that earth where it was (as you had bolted it to the thermostat housing iirc and mine was bolted not far from that on the block)

im convinced i just had a dodgy connection and me sticking the multimeter probes here there and everywhere sorted it out

cant beat a cheap fix :approve:

hows yours running? sorted the idle out?

'92 172, Lotus Elise

i've been away at the nurburgring! so not done anything to the clio

today i'll get the exhaust bent which should allow me to fit it correctly and also run the car without pissing off all the neighbours...

Valver

You can get a new rear caliper off ebay for just over £50 if you have no luck with the getting the screw out.

i've been away at the nurburgring! so not done anything to the clio

today i'll get the exhaust bent which should allow me to fit it correctly and also run the car without pissing off all the neighbours...

yeh i need to refit my downpipe to manifold as its blowing in its current position :rolleyes:

You can get a new rear caliper off ebay for just over £50 if you have no luck with the getting the screw out.

cheers, ive got a second hand one off mat brown, will be fitting it this weekend

well 2 steps forward and 10 steps back today

first of all i removed the old rear caliper with the snapped bleed screw, couldnt get the handrake cable ouf of its mounting so ended up cutting it off, no biggie though ordered a new cable to replace it. fit the new caliper and could finally bleed the brakes, did the rears at the same time as per the tilton bias valve instructions using 2 easibleed kits, then did the fronts. got a nice firm pedal now :D

then found a better colour match for the rear arches i have repaired, so rubbed them down and gave them some fresh coats, looks much better now :D

then decided to tidy up some wiring as alot of the wires are just twisted together whilst i got the car running. well i put proper connections on the fuel/coil relay and then turned the key just to make sure it still ran, and what do you know....................

the same problem i was having to begin with has come back, just cranks over and wont fire into life. once again on cranking i am not getting voltage to the coil :quiet: :dead: :mad:

so its got to be a bad connection somewhere, the question is where :dapprove:

i suppose the good thing is that i know it runs without having to replace any parts :rolleyes:

172 Race Car

If its just down to loosing voltage at the coil when cranking id just run a whole new wire to it. Finding that could be tricky. Had a similar fault on mine

Mk1 Maxim Sport

I know the feeling mate owning a mk1 meself, i am always very cautious bout messing with things like electrics cause its sods law that something else will mess up at the same time. I always have this problem!

Hope u get it sorted soon!

well i have been racking my brain trying to suss out what i did last time to get it running, but im still stumped. i won't be working on the car til the weekend so i think i'm gonna follow burps advice and run a whole new wire to the coil and see if that does anything

in the meantime i decided to buy a few things, first was a sandwich plate gauge adapter to go with the mocal oil cooler (group buy on here)

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00556.jpg

and then to overcome the constant fan running problem that comes with the 172 conversion i have purchased this little box of tricks

DSC00555.jpg

its a digital fan temp controller, water temp, oil temp and voltage gauge all rolled into one. with this i can set the fan to kick in at whatever temp i like, also has an instant activation at the push of a button should i need it.

sadly i cant test it out until the car decides to run again :( sooooo frustrating, but it HAS to be something to do with a dodgy connection or the wiring to and from the coil pack. surely the ecu cant just 'decide' to work and then a week later decide not to? seems a bit of a coincidence that when i didnt touch the wiring at all it ran, then as soon as i disconnected it to put some proper connections on it wont start again??!?!? :dead:

this is exactly why i hate wiring with a passion! :rolleyes:

bit more for you all to have a peek at, nothing spectacular, just slow progress :rolleyes:

first job on saturday was the handbrake cable, had to cut the old one off when removing the caliper

as you can see only one cable attached
DSC00564.jpg

DSC00566.jpg

and new cable fitted
DSC00570.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

DSC00572.jpg

and halfway through the job my helper came and had a lie down under the car with me :rolleyes:
DSC00562.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

next was only a 2 min job, ever since ive owned the car the boot lock has been mullered, meaning i couldnt lock it, so managed to get hold of a working second hand one and fit that

as you can see the old one was errr funked!!!
DSC00574.jpg

new one
DSC00573.jpg

then a while back i recieved these, possibly the worlds smallest wing mirrors :cool: in white of course to go with the theme
DSC00575.jpg

trial fitted them, just need to get my carbon fibre baseplates made up so i can fit them properly
DSC00576.jpg

DSC00577.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

DSC00579.jpg

then i whipped out the hammer and chisel and started making holes in my sills just for the hell of it, then got the angle grinder on the job

DSC00582.jpg

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00580.jpg

think im just gonna go the whole hog and fit a full outer sill (got the repair sills sat in the garage)

then this arrived at work today, cheers to andyfielder for arranging the group buy :clap:
DSC00583.jpg

DSC00584.jpg

DSC00585.jpg

DSC00586.jpg

thats all for now, 10 weeks and counting to FCS, im seriously doubting its going to make it :dapprove: