ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Just seen this. Sorry to hear about the engine failure Russ, I feel your pain mate.

It sucks having a wasted weekend!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Right!
If you hadn't gathered I blew my spare engine up after 3/4 lap of cadwell park in qualifying last weekend. Shame it had to happen on a race weekend and before it had even done a lap but so be it, I've done well with reliability Since I built the car so hopefully my run of bad luck is out of the way now!
I managed to find the hole in the back of the block while poking around at cadwell so it's safe to say the motor is scrap. Fingers crossed the cams are ok.
The car has been on the trailer since then and I've not really looked at it so thought I best get cracking seen as we're supposed to be racing at Silverstone on the 15th August.
Cleared the garage out ready to bring the car in.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437928661.055670.jpg

That meant putting my black one back together after putting cambelt + aux kit on it along with a clutch a big service. All done it was put outside.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437928745.022383.jpg

This was supposed to be a winter project getting a megane turbo engine and gearbox in it but I'm probably going to sell it now as I need to build a proper engine for the racecar really.

So that's where we're at, car is back inside out of the rain.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437929021.470020.jpg

Going to pull the engine out tonight/tomorrow and get everything ready for the new engine to go in next weekend hopefully thanks to @James23 Just need to go and help him pull the engine out of his ph1 and give it a new home.
New ARP rod bolts are getting ordered in the morning ready to fit next weekend. Hopefully will get a chance to give it a better test before Silverstone and maybe even do a few miles on the dyno at TDi North and get Paul to check the fueling etc.

In other news best get cracked on with @TarkMalbot 's engine loom for his 172 track/race build. Dta ecu is here and oe loom, got it on the bench ready to strip down.
Russ
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437929288.811315.jpg

Last edited:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Pretty lucky then from the state of that!
Hoping to be out at Silverstone?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Can't do a lot on the Racecar until I get the new engine so just been making sure I've got everything for when it comes. ARP rod bolts turned up today along with a new set of plugs. Some oil will be here tomorrow.
Done a few jobs on the van, new sliding door seal, both front door check straps and locks, rear lock, sliding door central locking conduit and cable and new side step. Means all the central locking works now and the interior lights work as the should and I'm not paranoid about locking the keys in it anymore!
Had the black 182 on the ramp lad night to finish a few jobs and check it over. Gave it a quick wash and it looks really good, love Black Gold.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438200793.995176.jpg

Still on course for Silverstone, more news once I've got the engine. It's provisionally booked in to TDi north on the Friday before Silverstone to be dyno'd as well.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Got the engine on the stand last night after collecting it on Saturday. All looks good apart from the exhaust cam pulley nut was rounded off by the last person who did the cambelt. It would have been near impossible to remove in the car with the access available. Made a right mess stripping it down but it's sorted now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438723845.505095.jpg

Degreased everything and gave the block a coat of matt black once everything was stripped off it. Been painting the rocker cover red too like my original engine.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438723954.917761.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438723983.716781.jpg

Can fit the rocker cover tomorrow once it's properly dry and time the cams up + fit the new ARP bolts and new plugs before putting back in the car. Got most of the ancillaries put back on tonight, low temp stat, itbs, alternator etc.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438724183.432839.jpg

Be nice to get it in the car tomorrow night and running Thursday/Friday. Be interesting to see if it makes anymore power being a ph1 engine with the bigger exhaust ports.
It's looking like Silverstone on the 15th August will have a bumper grid with lots of new cars so looking forward to actually racing for the first time since Rockingham!
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Adam.
Engine is all built up as of tonight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438809525.567543.jpg

Didn't have a chance to get it in the car though so will have to wait until tomorrow. Need to order a new oil cooler tomorrow too as its full of swarf that I just can't get out.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
She's alive again!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439048182.507082.jpg

Just ran it up to temperature and left it idling for a little while. All seems good at the minute. I swear the exhaust is louder, maybe because it's a ph1 lump with bigger exhaust ports I don't know.

New mocal cooler turned up and I've flushed the cooler pipes out and had the stat in bits and is immaculate now. Pic below in bits if you're interested to see what's inside one.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439048417.892479.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439048440.389948.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439048462.121072.jpg

Just need to drop the oil out and out and put my proper stuff in with the cooler etc. spanner check and a run up the road at the workshop and it's ready for having the map checked on Friday and Silverstone on Saturday.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Just back from an eventful weekend at Silverstone in the TARC Tricolore Trophy. Such a great club with great members.

After the last race weekends problems i wanted to make the sure the new engine was healthy before getting to Silverstone soit was on the dyno at TDi North on friday, some small alterations to the map and a thorough checking meant it was ok if slightly down on power compared to my other motor.
11846705_10153604087587755_7205307423834431131_n.jpg

Arrived at silverstone on friday afternoon after some horrendous traffic on the M6/M1. Great to have the garages available to us so got unpacked and setup ready for race day.
1484550_937952452927626_7517557673415691123_n.jpg

Track for quali seemed pretty slippery after overnight rain and we were well off the pace ending up 4th on the grid. Suffered from fuel surge in some corners even with a decent amount in the tank. New engine felt a bit down on power too so wasn't really looking forward to race 1.

Brimmed the tank and that cured our fuel problems in the race. Total carnage at the start as there was a delayed start and we were told there'd be another warm up lap. Seconds later the lights were on and no green flag lap. Nobody knew whether to go or not so slow getting away. A bit sideways on the first corner among other places until the tyres came up to temp. We got murdered in a straight line by everything after making up some places so dropped back to 5th with Andy Mitchell's 205 close behind. Problems for Matt darlington's 106 meant we were 4th. Couldnt take advantage of the saftey car intervention and that's were we stayed until the finish with Andy pushing us all the time. 4th overall,3rd in class.

So race 2. Started 4th again but got a good start passing Tony's Clio before the first corner and nearly getting the White Saxo too, tucked in behind in 3rd and tried to stay close. Got a tap at the following corner but managed to keep it pointing straight. Track felt a lot better this race and I didn't seem to be giving much away in a straight line either. The harder I drove it the better it was. Tony kept me honest for a few laps before he sailed past with locked brakes at the end of the back straight. That gave me some breathing space to chase down the 2 saxos in front. Had an awesome battle with the white one with the back markers not making it easy for us. Managed to get past and hold him off until the finish. No chance of catching Simon so finished 2nd overall, 2nd in class.
Russ
Video

11846645_938148436241361_965245856640490124_n.jpg

2015%20Silverstone%20Tricolore%20Hyundai%20Race%201%2030_zpsjj7pztrk.jpg

2015%20Silverstone%20Tricolore%20Hyundai%20Race%202%2091_zps1w4bmmtq.jpg

2015%20Silverstone%20Tricolore%20Hyundai%20Race%202%20265_zpsl5w7odzw.jpg

Great racing as usual Russ.

I would have loved to have caught you up, but with my overheating issue there was just no chance.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Strange one on the surge issue I can run my track car down to vapours and no issues? Maybe check the sender swirl pot and the pipes?