ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new Saxo VTS: Two Tone content.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Cheers mate. Been offered some DS2500's for cheap so probably gona go for them. Were awesome on the 182's so should have though they will be good on the saxo...

Personally, when you can buy a Gti6 setup for £75, that is bigger & offers better stopping power, you'd be bonkers to buy the DS2500's.

Unless they were 30 quid.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
VTS's are awesome, so under rated!

My standard 106 GTi made 133bhp @ 6390rpm. That thing was a f**king animal up to 100mph

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Awesome :D looks a tidy example. Been after my mates two tone vtr for ages and almost bought it the other week but he had to keep it :(

I'll have it one day! If I don't get something 2.0 first :p

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Personally, when you can buy a Gti6 setup for £75, that is bigger & offers better stopping power, you'd be bonkers to buy the DS2500's.

Unless they were 30 quid.

except all you are doing is altering the effort required to apply the brakes. For the same force being applied by your foot the car will brake harder, though ultimately only the tyres and weight transfer will dictate the majority of braking performance. Even pads are mostly about providing consistency on braking performance though the race compounds give a better initial bite and some resist compression better than oe, so improve pedal feel this way too.

Picked the car up last night, and the brakes are actually laughable!

Pressing the pedal results in the car coming to a stop in what seems an age.

Hoping the DS2500's and new discs (which I am getting cheap enough to justify over the GTI-6 set up) improve the breaking, as at the minute its actually dangerous - even if it passed the MOT!

If you think the 182 brakes are crap - they are amazing upto the Saxo's!!!! lol

Astra H vxr
loved my old vts , miss it still now, was running about 152bhp , after spending a few bob on the car, but wouldnt mind getting another oneday :p

The seats are SO comfy, its smashes over pot-holes, but where as in the 182's it crashed from bump to bump, the saxo's seats (like arm chairs) seem to soak up the majority of the bumps....

Loving it so far, the turn-in is EPIC :)

120d M Sport
Great to drive aren't they. I found the same thing as u you with the brakes when I picked mine up last November, picked up a 266mm set up from a 206 GTI with brand new discs and nearly new pads for £80, had them fitted within the hour. Car scrubs speed off so quickly now!

120d M Sport
Yeah you have to really stand on the pedal lol. Then again, my mate bought a 52 plate GTI with 39k on, 1 lady owner. Standard brakes on that felt perfectly adequate.

Even with my 266mm they never feel bitey, you have to put a fair bit of pressure on the pedal but I'm told this is resolved with the master cylinder off a 306 Sir_Dave mentioned.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Bet the brakes aren't as bad as mine.

We should meet up and see who takes the longest to stop lol

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I thought my brakes were shagged when I nearly rear ended mike when I had mine but after getting them checked they were fine. Just s**t brakes!

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
oe pad compound is nothing special and can be ineffective and uninspiring. I've used far worse design calipers with the right type compounds with great effect. I've got plenty of race customers who have to use the standard calipers and they manage to cope better than most saxo owners on the internet.

oe pad compound is nothing special and can be ineffective and uninspiring. I've used far worse design calipers with the right type compounds with great effect. I've got plenty of race customers who have to use the standard calipers and they manage to cope better than most saxo owners on the internet.

Thanks for the input mate, hoping the Ferodo's give better performance than what's on at the moment, OEM probably...

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Hoping the DS2500's and new discs (which I am getting cheap enough to justify over the GTI-6 set up) improve the breaking, as at the minute its actually dangerous - even if it passed the MOT!

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car, but even with fancy pads you wont be stopping as effectively as you would with the GTi6 setup! Especially at the price, I think you've wasted your money on the Ferodos.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I only had the VTS brakes on for a couple of days before swapping to the GTi6 283mm, and tbh it's the first time I've really noticed better braking in all conditions, I can't recommend it enough.

My mate had a VTS on stock brakes and he was constantly winging about them!

I only had the VTS brakes on for a couple of days before swapping to the GTi6 283mm, and tbh it's the first time I've really noticed better braking in all conditions, I can't recommend it enough.

My mate had a VTS on stock brakes and he was constantly winging about them!

I might give French Sport Tuning a call and see how much the conversion is then....

I take it only the fronts need to be swapped and the rears can stay standard?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I only changed the front, I did have a bit of squeaking now and then which I never got to the bottom of, was either the pads needing grease or it needing the larger master cylinder (probably the latter!)

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I might give French Sport Tuning a call and see how much the conversion is then....

I take it only the fronts need to be swapped and the rears can stay standard?

Feel free to call in for a brew if you do mate. They're only around the corner from me.

120d M Sport
How you finding it so far? Only complaint I have about my GTI is the lack of torque low down, gets on my nerves at times.

Feel free to call in for a brew if you do mate. They're only around the corner from me.

Yeah I will do Jim cheers mate - they need to answer their bloody phone first!!!!

How you finding it so far? Only complaint I have about my GTI is the lack of torque low down, gets on my nerves at times.

Loving it TBH mate!

Is yours standard, as mine has a decat and exhaust/induction etc and actually feels more torquey low down than my 182's did!!!

It sets off in 2nd and pulls hard in 5th at 30mph :S

Its just REALLY low lol

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah I will do Jim cheers mate - they need to answer their bloody phone first!!!!

Tell me about it! I wanted them to do some bits on my vts and also on the rallye - they never answered numerous calls, emails and text messages. I have up in the end.

Megane 225 F1
Only just seen this. Great buy. I saw one parked up once and though it was someone who had just used a wrap on the lower half, didn't realise they were made like that. Looks mint :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
That looks fairly low. How are you finding it? It was between a VTS and a Zetec-S for me, went for the ZS due to them having a slightly better image than VTS's where I live.

Wish I'd got one for the extra power though.

That looks fairly low. How are you finding it? It was between a VTS and a Zetec-S for me, went for the ZS due to them having a slightly better image than VTS's where I live.

Wish I'd got one for the extra power though.

Yeah its low mate - I cant touch the floor with my fingers if I open the window lol

Loving it so far, even with it being low - its comfier than my lowered 182's for some reason, and its every bit at fast too, Id say off the mark upto 50 ish its actually slightly quicker...

Gona get some propper photos this weekend and get a propper review up :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah its low mate - I cant touch the floor with my fingers if I open the window lol

Loving it so far, even with it being low - its comfier than my lowered 182's for some reason, and its every bit at fast too, Id say of the mark upto 50 ish it actually quicker...

Gona get some propper photos this weekend and get a propper review up :)

Sounds good! I see you've had issues with the brakes, now I had a clio 1.2 and the brakes on that were sharp as hell (brembo vented discs and EBC Greenstuff pads) and I got in this and nearly died! The brakes seemed awful, once you get used to them though you're fine, you just really need to plant your foot for them to work if it's anything like the ZS.

And with regards to speed, I imagine there isnt a lot in it between a 182 and a VTS, although I know before I raised my ZS slightly it seemed a lot faster than it was, I could touch the floor with it wound all the way down, now I've wound them up im about an inch off.