ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My valver/172 project

Audi TT 225 Quattro
the connectors are different :p

ive not got any lambdas connected.. would that fox it?

surely you need to have a lambda connected as its an important sensors that measures oxygen in the exh then sends a signal to the ecu to help with fueling??? when i disconected mine it ran like a piece of s**t and would'nt idle/cut out etc....

yeah it will, but the pre cat sensor is used for the fuel/air mix so if its getting a wrong reading it will f**k up

'92 172, Lotus Elise
oops, forgot to update this...

tensioner not done up correctly (Dan's fault)
DSCF1377.jpg

cam cover off
DSCF1383.jpg

bit of damage caused by the broken spring
DSCF1381.jpg

DSCF1382.jpg

head off
DSCF1393.jpg

head bolts and followers
DSCF1394.jpg

1 step forward, 8 steps backwards:
DSCF1395.jpg

DSCF1396.jpg

damage to piston 2 caused by a stuck valve
DSCF1397.jpg

hence the poor idle

DSCF1398.jpg

stuck valve:
DSCF1399.jpg

DSCF1400.jpg

running rich? :D
DSCF1401.jpg

DSCF1402.jpg

detting much?
DSCF1403.jpg

parafin in the upturned head to do a cheap leak test :D
DSCF1406.jpg

DSCF1407.jpg

valve removed:
DSCF1408.jpg

bent
DSCF1409.jpg

valve spring mashed
DSCF1410.jpg

retainer
DSCF1411.jpg

valve stem seal
DSCF1412.jpg

here is where it gets a little interesting...

anyone know what this is (or what it's from should I say):
DSCF1414.gif

DSCF1415.gif

it rattled out when i turned the head over

wonder if it was dropped in maliciously or not :S :S :dead:

I've gone and bought a new valve, new seal, new spring, new retainer, new collet etc... and have some spring compressors

Got renault to 'express' them so I picked them up this morning (instead of Tuesday!) except they only sent 1 single collect... which is useless, so i've gotta go back on tuesday anyway to pick up the other one.

Then it should be a case of putting it all back together, tightening and timing it up and it should run! (again)

Massive thanks to ben_p, BenR, stan*, ditz, mini-valver, Fred, bmh.01 (to name a few - sorry if I've missed someone :eek:) for helping em through it all! :D really appreciate it! :)

BMW E46 330i Touring
Sorry to hear you've had such a hard time with it mate, don't suppose you've heard from Dan since?

Still, at least it's getting there slowly... look forward to seeing it at July's airfield!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Dan's trying his best to avoid me - he didn't sound happy when I called him on his new number ;)

I see he is online on CS quite a bit (and on other sites) so he is out there

clio better be ready for the airfield! :D - reminds me I need to bug clarkie for a major service on the valver too :|

hows the golf treating you?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Thought it sounded like the tensioner problem we had with our old VTS, just we were luckier than you LOL. Any idea why your valve spring broke? Hope you have more luck with the engine this time, you know where we are should you think we can help. Keep us posted on your progress, we've both got our fingers crossed for you

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
The idea of stripping down a engine fills me with fear, fair play to you sir you really seem to know what you are doing.

Am going to have to rebuild my mini gearbox soon, not looking forward to it to be honest.

Cracking looking project!

LY 182
The idea of stripping down a engine fills me with fear, fair play to you sir you really seem to know what you are doing.

Am going to have to rebuild my mini gearbox soon, not looking forward to it to be honest.

rather rebuild an f4r to tell you the truth :rasp:
have fun with the flywheel

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34

rather rebuild an f4r to tell you the truth :rasp:
have fun with the flywheel

Most of the bolts are going to be rustier than a really really rusty thing! When ticking over in neutral you can heard something in the gearbox clicking and spinning away. Gunna have to open her up and see what i find, it's a straight cut drop gearbox so parts are gunna be hard to come by i think!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
you really seem to know what you are doing.

it's all a front! :D

I just bug everyone in the mechanical section :D :rasp:

the F4R seems really nice to work on tbh (and all my bolts are new, so that helps) - a lot easier than the F7P!!

only thing that's got me worried really is the timing :S

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
you really seem to know what you are doing.

it's all a front! :D

I just bug everyone in the mechanical section :D :rasp:

the F4R seems really nice to work on tbh (and all my bolts are new, so that helps) - a lot easier than the F7P!!

only thing that's got me worried really is the timing :S

Had to help my mate with the timing on his MK1 Golf was ok but it took a while to get it spot on before starting her up again. Was a slight case of the blind leading the blind!

M

mini-valver

Glad you're making prgress fella! Putting the valve in and building everything back up is the easy part now. You've found the problem so *hopefully* it'll be ok over the rest of the engine! Good luck dude....

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I only got 115psi on the other cylinders... dont know if this is a gauge problem, timing problem or if the valves havent been lapped (swapped around maybe?)

so I think I'll lap them all

'92 172, Lotus Elise
little update :D

dismantled the head:

DSCF1431.jpg

DSCF1432.jpg

DSCF1433.jpg

re-lapped all the valves whilst i was there and replaced the bent one

DSCF1434.jpg

DSCF1435.jpg

great fun ;)

cleaned up the BE:

DSCF1439.jpg

completed head:

DSCF1440.jpg

some things arrive:

DSCF1442.jpg

my ghetto angle gauge (worked a treat!!)

DSCF1443.jpg

the inlet camshaft dephaser thing turned out to be broken :(

th_DSCF1444.jpg

new one ordered from renault, should be in tomorrow

soaking the hydraulic lifter thingys in diesel:

DSCF1445.jpg

head on:

DSCF1446.jpg

cams in:

DSCF1447.jpg

cam cover tidied up:

DSCF1448.jpg

fitted:

DSCF1449.jpg

oil breather fitted:

DSCF1450.jpg

and inlet on:

DSCF1451.jpg

as you can see the cam pulleys arent on... thats tomorrows job... hopefully wont take too long to fit and time up the cambelt (tools are arriving tomorrow too, hopefully)

and then... dare I say it.. I can drive the damn thing!!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Engine is all together and timed up now

making good compression too (165-185) so happy with that! :)

just gotta figure out my wiring and see where my spark/fuel has gone! :(

M

mini-valver

Well done mate! Top work!

Satisfying doing it yourself isn't it?

Stoked for you mate, really am!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
bit of a late update...

th_172rebuilt.jpg

beautiful! :D :D :D :D

love how the mk2 starts so quickly!

th_DSCF0483.jpg

mk1s took a bit more time :? (ignore the f****ed box)

until it came to giving it some beans :(

th_172knocking.jpg

1st and 2nd... doesnt feel quick :(
th_acceleration.jpg

bottom end still fooked.. great

so I ignored the engine for a while and tidied up my wiring a bit:
DSCF1456.jpg

all sits neatly in the relaybox! :)
DSCF1457.jpg

'92 172, Lotus Elise
thought i'd clean her for once.. not done that since november and she was looking a little sorry for herself :(

DSCF1460.jpg

DSCF1461.jpg

then it was a nice day, so out with the engine.. again.. (many thanks to Justin and his mate for the crane! :D)

DSCF1462.jpg

DSCF1463.jpg

timed it at less than 1hr 30 to remove :cool:

sump off:
DSCF1464.jpg

think I'm going to replace all the, frankly rediculous E8 head bolts with some nice 10mm head bolts!

got scoring:
DSCF1465.jpg

DSCF1466.jpg

some crappy night time shots (taken for Fred at 2:30am as he was bored and wanted to look/tell me how s**t my engine is :D)

DSCF1467.jpg

mmmm spun bearing. great.
DSCF1468.jpg

DSCF1469.jpg

DSCF1470.jpg

DSCF1471.jpg

DSCF1472.jpg

DSCF1473.jpg

some sort of crank washer: *shrug*

DSCF1474.jpg

DSCF1475.jpg

DSCF1476.jpg

DSCF1477.jpg

'92 172, Lotus Elise
the crank:

DSCF1478.jpg

DSCF1479.jpg

DSCF1480.jpg

DSCF1481.jpg

DSCF1482.jpg

DSCF1483.jpg

DSCF1484.jpg

DSCF1485.jpg

back to square 1:
DSCF1486.jpg

DSCF1487.jpg

DSCF1488.jpg

atleast this way, i'll have built the entire engine by the book, so should know its condition and it should proove to be reliable!

the crank was shipped off to stan @ APD

DSCF1491.jpg

DSCF1490.jpg

he has since confirmed that Dan has not carried out the work he said he has (what, did he think i wasnt gonna notice??!?) but stan said the crank should be salvagable and I'm hoping to have it back in a few days...

then I'll just need to rebuild the engine and drop it back in... again and i'll be running!

not long till FCS! :eek:

ValverInBits
Your right mate, Doesent seem as fast as it should be. Gutted for ya that it's a dodgy engine. It's nearly always a gamble buying engines.
Nice project.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I still have a massive blow on the exhaust were the manifold meets the downpipe, maybe that is sapping power...

172 Race Car
What a total r****d the guy who built that engine is!

Mickey mouse could do a better job after a lunch time session down his local.

Your doing a great job Matt keep it up, the skills you are learnig will stay with you.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Don't think Danlp6 has ever seen the inside of an engine before :rasp:

cheers burp! :)

just can't wait to get it back up and running... i hope its fast :(

BMW M135i
Has been a total shitter with all the extra work but at least your getting there now. I wouldn't decide on speed until you've got it all 100% a blow at the manifold isn't going to help it at all i'd say thats sapping some through lack of back pressure.

Looking good now anyway, can't wait to see the finished article if it makes it to FCS.

M

mini-valver

Like Burp said, anything you learn will be useful in the future and although it probably doesn't seem like it at the moment but it'll be more than wortrh it when it's finished lad. Chin up!

205 Gti
dont worry matteh you wont be disapointed theyrocket, put alot of big boys to shame. i heard dan ran a dizzy cap on his with megane stuff management dont know how true it is seen the thing on ebay looks dogish under the bonnet. keep it up tho you wont regret it. ps its sid_taylor from valver forum lol to tight to get my own log in cheers nick ;)