ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nürburgring 2009 project .......

Golf TDI
Recently i brought myself a phase 1 172 . The one thing i wish i had done with my old car was make some sort of progress thread , this time im going to do it properly ;) Late next summer me and a few mates are going to make the journey across to germany and do some laps around the nurburgring . as it stands i have no experience of a race track :eek: let alone a very well known busy strack :) so some track days will be attended come the new year . Im going to turn my car into a track toy :approve: although i will have to cope with it being my daily drive :rolleyes: ( oh well ) . Here are some pictures of it when i picked it up ......

P9220545.jpg

P9220543.jpg

P9220544.jpg

P9220546.jpg

P9220547.jpg

......i have updates soon :approve:

Golf TDI
i started with a few exterior changes just to bring it a fresher look but now its all about getting the weight of the car right down . The car is booked in for a exhaust in january , i have a few things which are going to be up for sale after christmas including some alloys which will fund some light bucket seats along with harnesses . Battery is going to be relocated into the boot . Its all planned out :)

Golf TDI
Update number 1

Right then a very very small update , this was about a week ago this work was done . My first job was to make some small changes to the outside just to bring it that bit more up to date , so £40 later and i had a set of ph 2 tail lights along with some silvervisions and a smaller aeriel . :)

PB131287.jpg

next up the f1's were ditched in favour of some light weight motorsport wheels , them being the pro races :approve:

PB181307.jpg

i also swapped my apex 40 mm springs from the back to some fk coilover springs , although this is a temporary measure as coilovers will no doubt be on order next year .....

thats enough cosmetically for now , its time to start stripping it ;) updates are nearly ready :)

Golf TDI
Update number 2

a quick picture i took of some of the basic stuff coming out the other day ;)

PB181336.jpg

:approve:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Your on the same mission as me then, build a car that is going to get some serious abuse around an 11 mile track lol.. luckly for me i have a Ph2 172 as my daily driver & a PH1 one as a track ****.. track car is now getting every thing removed, did my first drive last week - f**k me you wont belive the road noise lol, thing is though i've not even got a dash! you keeping it semi-track then or going real man strippage?

340i
Me too :D

Need to pull my finger out and get a progress thread up!!

yeah the road noise is RATHER annoying.. trouble with strippage is youll keep wanting to take more and more away from the car muhahahaa

I am gonna try and get mine near enough complete over winter time

Golf TDI
Your on the same mission as me then, build a car that is going to get some serious abuse around an 11 mile track lol.. luckly for me i have a Ph2 172 as my daily driver & a PH1 one as a track ****.. track car is now getting every thing removed, did my first drive last week - f**k me you wont belive the road noise lol, thing is though i've not even got a dash! you keeping it semi-track then or going real man strippage?

real - man strippage ;) il deal with it as my daily drive lol :dead:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
real - man strippage ;) il deal with it as my daily drive lol :dead:

Its all fine if you stay below 30mph.. i have nothing other than a steering wheel, 2 bucket seats, hreness's & a steering wheel, dont bother keeping the weight of the head unit & speakers you wont be able to hear it among road noise, engine noise & the exhaust note lol - Ipod 4th gen FTW :cool:

Golf TDI
yes im planning on a few trial runs next week with the i pod in the ears to decide wether a head unit is needed lol

340i
Its all fine if you stay below 30mph.. i have nothing other than a steering wheel, 2 bucket seats, hreness's & a steering wheel, dont bother keeping the weight of the head unit & speakers you wont be able to hear it among road noise, engine noise & the exhaust note lol - Ipod 4th gen FTW :cool:

2 steering wheels LOL?!

What are the benefits of a such a modification? Was it hard to set-up/install?

:eek: :rasp:

320d
Looks like a good project mate. What does make me lol is when you got this car a few months back you said it will be staying standard.

Not long before the modding bug started again. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

I'd like a trip to the ring, maybe 2010 though.

Golf TDI
Looks like a good project mate. What does make me lol is when you got this car a few months back you said it will be staying standard.

Not long before the modding bug started again. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

I'd like a trip to the ring, maybe 2010 though.
you sound like my mates lol they said what happened to not touching it !

Golf TDI
at the moment im struggling with a bolt that i need to undo as its badly rounded off and no drill is getting through it . so its angle grinder time tomorrow :) pictures to follow .......

Golf TDI
Update number 3

I got up the other morning to find lovely blue sky's so i braved the chill and headed to a mates house to do some more strippage before i headed to work , i managed the door cards and the headlining . under the headlining i have now found a big block of tar which will be needing removing and i have plans for the doors .....heres a few pictures of the latest progress , im now off to use my angle grinder on the bolt i mentioned :evil:

PB251338.jpg

PB251339.jpg

PB251340.jpg

PB251342.jpg

kieran .

Ian

Focus TDCi
Good work so far, looks like it should progress well.

Are you selling the f1's? Could be tempted by them

Golf TDI
i have had a brain wave tonight for all my electrics i.e windows , hazards , door locking etc watch this space !!

Golf TDI
Update number 4 ( angle grinder day ! )

After trying absolutely all sorts to get my back seats out ( bolt rounded off ) i took drastic measures today and used an angle grinder , while i was at it as my rear wiper was coming off anyway i also used some handywork on that too .......heres some pictures from today's progress :)

rear wiper gone

PB271351.jpg

time to attack the seats ..

PB271364.jpg

PB271354.jpg

PB271366.jpg

and now left without them :)

PB271365.jpg

kieran .

Althoug for a few hours i was left with a big gaping hole in the back of the car due to the wiper i have now filled the hole and got that sorted , will show pictures in my next update :approve:

Golf TDI
^^ iv never used on e before so i played it safe and used my mates mums gardening gloves ;) obviosuly they are more than up to the job of stopping a angle grinder going through my hand :eek:

340i
Looking good dude!

Mine is fully stripped now... and going to be painted inside next weekend

you need to get that dash out ;)

BTW my name is Kieran lol

Golf TDI
Looking good dude!

Mine is fully stripped now... and going to be painted inside next weekend

you need to get that dash out ;)

BTW my name is Kieran lol

ha ha nice one :) i have plans for the dash in the pipeline , so i will see how that goes ...

Golf TDI
Nice one

Is that the only way of getting rear seats out?

lol nah they just unbolt in like less than 10 minutes , however the bolt seemed weathered into the car and the had of the bolt was proper rounded off . and after using a drill it seemed very toughmetal so this was my last resort :evil: i have been trying to get them out for about two weeks :( anyway happy days now :approve: