ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Barge - Stage 1 Completed!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Well, just on my way up to Redcar (Hai Needy) as there appears to be a black leather S4 interior up for grabs. Here's hoping it's what I'm after so I can pillage covers/bolsters from it and save myself a grand there! Bodywork-wise, Halfords have mixed up a tin of very badly matching paint which is better than the black and white scuffs so I may just be able to salvage some of this yet...

Better than yours. C*nt.
Badges - what are people's thoughts? New style S4 badge or the old style like is on there?

Lionel Richie
looks much better in real life, goes well too, currently holds the lap record round my industrial estate ;)

M2 Competition
Those wheels would look much much better in gloss black if you want to keep them. Would show the blue brakes off too. Just an idea.

Nice car though Mike.

Titanium 182
I like this car Mike, however I dislike its wheels. I think it would look incredible on those audi rims someone has on a green TT on here !

Clio 172 Cup
Thats Epic, Good Solid clean motor, put plenty of people in there place with it am sure, still have you in the twisties :rasp: lol

Better than yours. C*nt.
+1
Nice car that :D Not too keen on the wheels though.
A prefacelift car with facelift bonnet, boot and rear lights but headlights are prefacelift? Odd one that.

The grill I'm not sure on but the rest is pre-facelift. Didn't the rear lights get clear, as opposed to dark, reverse lights on facelift cars?

98 Audi S4, 67 VW Beetle
Pretty sure its fl bonnet - are the skooshers under it or on top?
and the boot has no swage line, so pretty sure its fl.
Will have a check and see about the lights though :D
Like the way yours is sitting, nice stance, not too low not jacked up like mine :D

Better than yours. C*nt.
Skooshers?! Boot does have the swage line, Noggy hides it! See what you mean about it though, now you mention it!

And the stance is down to RS4 suspension. Although it'll get some KWs before long!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Right, f**k it. Plunge taken - sick of trying to get a mint interior for cheap, so I've landed myself with this:

SDC11284.jpg

Which I'll hopefully be nailing in this weekend. All electric, heated Recaros including rears. Exhaust is next on the list - hopefully speak to Fred about sorting that tomorrow/Friday!

It's left me a couple of £k short of stuff for the house, but it's nothing I can't pick up in overtime over a couple of months and given that it's at least 2 months 'til completion anyway with a bit of luck, all will be well!

E90
I've explained before, but i'll explain again.

Car leather is made from corrected grain leather. Basically after the beamhouse process (fat and hair removing) They use enzymes to remove fat's and proteins (thats what stops your leather rotting)

Then its tanned to give it the properties they want, softness etc etc. To do this they use a combination of PH and Temp to open the leather and they reinsert the fats etc that have been removed in beamhouse artifically. This is done in car leathers case by using chrome. The chrome gives the hide a blue appearance, and this is then sold as "wet blue" ,the cow hide is split into two parts, The bottom half goes away to be suede for the inside of shoes,low quality goods or artificial leather, the top section plus grain is kept for the higher end applications.

The tannery either makes themselves or buys in wet blue, and after that it is retanned to their exact specs. Again they use PH and Temp to insert the fat liquors etc they need for feel and softness. At this stage its also dyed, usually in a rough colour to what the final colour will be, so scratches don't show. Once this is done its usually corrected.

Corrected grain means on a number of occasions (unless you have very high quality cow hides, Bavarian as an example) The marked hide (brands insect bites barbed wire scrathes etc) is fillered, then buffed (big sanding machine to level the surface, A tannery makes its money on cutting yield, so the more pieces of a seat the car company can cut from one hide = profit. A big brand mark in the middle fcuks this up.

Once all thats done, Its finished, Acrylic resin and pigment as a base coat, Acrylic and PU as a colour coat, and then a PU Topcoat to protect, usually clear but sometimes pigmented.

Each of these coats has to have "intercoat adhesion" they basically need to stick to others so one doesn't peel off or crack. In this basecoat and colour coat process, it was also be printed, which gives the leather back its natural look, and prints on a fake skin look. The final topcoat is Crosslinked usually using a isocynate crosslinker, which hardens it up for scuff and abrasion resistance.

Now to heat and feed a pore as they say, minus any form of Ph influence. You have to go through 3 layers of dried resin, one of which is crosslinked , then magically open the pores, and drive this magic food through a shed load of chrome and fatliquors, which took the best part of a week to add correctly. All this can then "as it says on the bottle" be done in a matter of minutes".

Absolute COD s**t. LOL

Ond for the record, i spent a 3 months working at connelys before they closed, and even they admit they just make money on leather food because " if they are silly enough to buy it we'll sell it"

Better than yours. C*nt.
Amazing then that I achieved much more than that with my old S2, which was in a dire state when I started and was pretty much new when I finished.

Sorry to piss on your cornflakes, and all that.

E90
PMSL carry on, if you think it makes a big difference apart from making it appear clean and feel different, Its your money. What would I know, a year at the British school of leather technology and 17 years working in tanneries all over the world means jack s**t LOL I <3 CS

Better than yours. C*nt.
DSC_0082.jpg

Given that they were filthy, dry, were starting to wrinkle, I must obviously have inadvertently wiped brand new seats into the old ones, as opposed to the leather stuff I thought I was applying.

Better than yours. C*nt.
PMSL carry on, if you think it makes a big difference apart from making it appear clean and feel different, Its your money. What would I know, a year at the British school of leather technology and 17 years working in tanneries all over the world means jack s**t LOL I <3 CS

The problems you face are, you're going against my personal experience with a product, and you're a condescending sod at the best of times so don't exactly render yourself as having an opinion I'd particularly value.

Again, sorry that your cornflakes are a bit soggy.

E90
And you go against 17 years of my personal experience making automotive leather PMSL.

So the bottled wax you have, has the particle size to get through 3 layers of epoxy and polyurethane resin does it, before having the penetrating power to get beyond the surface layer of the leather, past the crome and fat liquors and actually "soften" the leather???

It cleaned it, made the surface glossy and left some on the surface, They contain waxes and silicates, which to the human touch feel soft, it does not and will not soften the leather, its all appearence, its a placebo. And it will wear away from the surface leaving the leather exactly where it was before.

if you wanna carry on using the vast depth of your experience, carry on, I get paid to do this. You are not going to soggy my cornflakes, It is not "food" you can only feed something that is alive, and the cow its made from died long ago I'm afraid.

If you wanna use it be my guest.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Whether it does or not TBH, that mark will take at most a couple of months to come out with my fat ass sat against it.

Thank you for your input, though. It really isn't valued.

E90
You are most welcome.

if you would like more information I can upload the article I wrote on Automotive leather for "world leather" the industry magazine if you want.

Better than yours. C*nt.
That's ok. Don't do it on my account, although if you'd like to do swaps I can upload a letter to Santa I wrote when I was 6?