ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Garmin 3700 Series.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/3700

Just had Garmin man come into work and chat to us about the new 3700 range of sat navs.

Look fapping cool, almost like the next iPhone. Have some really nice features too. Traffic is free for life via the RDS receiver (Like the old Garmin Traffic models). Also has a multi touch screen, accelerometer etc...

Also you can program it to use your own voice (could be fun). And it has a voice activation system on it, weirdly you have to name it and say its name ot wake it up :S

Anyway, thought I'd share. Personally I wouldn't touch a sat nav unless it says Garmin on it. I'm meant to be impartial but in reality, TomTom's are s**t.

P.S, Girl on the site is fit.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
TomTom > Garmin

Oh hai, I'm a Tom Tom, I cost ££££ more than a Garmin. However, If you want what the Garmin has you have to pay a subscription for that. Even though it's about 10x worse. Oh wait, I'm broken now.

About July Greg! I cba with Spivs, too much effort to write on that bit of paper LOL.

1.5dci
are garmins actually better than tomtoms then. i was almost gonna get a tomtom the other day, as i have the garmin software for my phone, but it drive me nuts coz the maps ran out of date... where as i though the new tomtom included the mapshare technology, so wouldn't be out of date, is this a correct assumption?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
are garmins actually better than tomtoms then. i was almost gonna get a tomtom the other day, as i have the garmin software for my phone, but it drive me nuts coz the maps ran out of date... where as i though the new tomtom included the mapshare technology, so wouldn't be out of date, is this a correct assumption?

Nope. TomTom have caught up with Garmin, so for the first 30days map updates are free (however, this new Garmin they are free for 60days). However after that you have to pay a fixed price to update the maps.

Mapshare falls under this. Everything with TomTom has a subscription, that's what you have to remember. Also the amount of TomTom's I get back that are dead is a pain. They are getting better though.

The Garmin software is better than TomTom's imo. The 1300 series had teething problems because they rushed the launch, which they won't be doing with the 3700.

If you compare it to Apple vs Microsoft. Microsoft = TomTom (software doesnt look as clean, bit cluttered, have there problems but most people get them) Apple = Garmin (smart, good looking products, work very well, are great to use and have an awesome OS)

I understand your arguments for Garmin, but I prefer using the TomTom software to use and also think the routing and maps are better.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah, there's a lot of brand loyalty with TomTom. They are so much better at marketing. Garmin are trusted by the Army, Marine use, Aviation etc. Just not that well known in the public sector.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I do like TomTom's. Just sick of ringing up customer support. And don't get why they are so much more expensive.

"Hi yeah, this customers TomTom won't turn on, I'm guessing the usual battery issue..."

"Have they updated it"

"How can you update it? It doesnt turn on!"

Or...

"My tomtom is on fire!"

"Have you tried updating it"

FFUUUUUUU

1.5dci
ah kwl, might have another look, i like using my phone atm, but started planning a camping trip to France, so if it goes ahead i'm gonna need something without data charges.

Been considering setting up a car pc though, which would possibly take away the need to have a standalone satnav, so might need to think about this a bit more first too!

Citroen DS3 DSport
Garmin units are a waste of time, the road where I live is still never included in any of their releases despite the fact it has been here for years. I never have that issue with TomTom. I also found the a Garmin I once owned would forever try take me through fields which it thought were roads. I decided then that I would never buy another Garmin device.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Garmin units are a waste of time, the road where I live is still never included in any of their releases despite the fact it has been here for years. I never have that issue with TomTom. I also found the a Garmin I once owned would forever try take me through fields which it thought were roads. I decided then that I would never buy another Garmin device.

See from my experience that's everything I've heard a TomTom to do! Get a lot of customers complaining of that!

Also sounds like you where using a Sat Nav that needed updating, regardless of make (TomTom, Garmin, etc.).