ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Williams Owner

Hi all,

Ive just bought a williams and wonder if i could get your opinions if ive got a good deal or not:

Renault Clio Williams 2. 61k miles, full service history, all old mots, large reciepts file, very good condition inside and out (no dents, scratches or mark anywhere, even the wheels are perfect!) standard execpt for S/S exhaust, air filter and Stereo. Came with brand new MOT and six month warranty. Ive paid £4,200.

Also, what are the Williamss weak points? Im going to use it as an everyday car so itll be good to know what to keep an eye on.

Look forward to your comments.

Welcome to the club mate, the usual problems to look out for are:

Steering Problems : Work Shockers, Springs, Ball Joints, Steering Rack, etc

Rust especially around the rear arches

Bearings have a tendancy to need replacing

Keep an eye on your oil too as they tend to drink a bit

Sounds like a nice motor mate ;)

All of the above, sounds like a bargin to be honest, welcolme and enjoy.

I use mine as a everyday car and have had very few problems so far, only main being a snapped clutch cabel, but i did have a full service as soon as i brought her and a new cambelt.

Where you from btw?

Clare

Willy2

hi

expect the willy to drink a litre of oil every 1k, this is the norm, the oil dipstick guage should not be trusted when the car is hot!

if you leave her standing for a few days you may hear tapping from the engine on startup, but this is normal. Just let the car warm before you drive it.

I dont even think about thrashing the car until over 60 degrees(oil)

the drivers side rear arch are prone to rust, as explained above

front bearings tend to get abused so be prepared to have them changed

Coolant bottle goes brown, coolant should be changed once a year at least

im sure you will encounter things, just post up, there are loads of people that know stuff

make sure you regularly service it and it will last and be careful in the wet as it has no ABS and locks up.

Just to add to Rajs comment about warming before driving: Id personally not let the car idle to warm it up. Just pootle about slowly (under 3,000rpm) until the temperature rises to about 80degC. This is because most engine wear occurs on start up and idling doesnt allow the oil to fully circulate around the engine.

Basically, the Willy has the same problems as the 16V. As long as youve got a good example and drive/maintain the car properly it should be OK as a daily driver. But be warned that although the car is low mileage, a lot of wear relates to age rather than mileage with these cars. My sub-60k miler Willy is having all the jobs done that my 100+k 16V was having done at later mileages. Things that have bearings or rubbers will wear with age, so it might be wise to replace all the stuff like anti-roll bar bushings and so on. You might not think you need to do this, but if you dont then youre probably missing a lot of the suspension/handling/steering benefits that the Williams gives.

Although Im glad I got a low mileage Williams myself, its mainly due to the resale prospect - and not due to any mechanical benefits.

WRX Sti

Yeah,sounds like a good deal m8.Ive only had mine since december ,had no probs apart from having to replace the bottom engine mount,which i think aint uncommon.Where abouts u from?