ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Xbox announced, tonight 18:00PM

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Im all for digital, if its not the same price (or sometimes more!) than the disc based equivalent.

An album on iTunes costing the same as a CD is ridiculous, it should be a 1/2 that!

You'd think that, but never works out that way. I've long since ignored that, having to pay more for Kindle books than real ones

dk

911 GTS Cab
You'd think that, but never works out that way. I've long since ignored that, having to pay more for Kindle books than real ones
The digital books costing more than physical ones is because of VAT I think, there's vat on digital downloads, not on paper ones.

digital download games won't ever be less than rrp as they don't want to piss off the retail stores who sell most of the products for them.

Forced Kinect, erm, connection still has me very wary of this. My XBox is set up in the study and runs through the PC monitor on my desk, I can't see Kinect working (or being able to sit anywhere) in that situation and they've been pretty vague about how it will have to be used, can I just throw it down the back of my desk, connected but forever ignored?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Forced Kinect, erm, connection still has me very wary of this. My XBox is set up in the study and runs through the PC monitor on my desk, I can't see Kinect working (or being able to sit anywhere) in that situation and they've been pretty vague about how it will have to be used, can I just throw it down the back of my desk, connected but forever ignored?

You can disable it IIRC

dk

911 GTS Cab
I had to lol tonight reading that Xbox live and Xbox.com have been down tonight, if only everything relied on the cloud, oh wait.......

possibly an attack on them after yesterday's shenanigans?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
That's only because there are various different bundles and editions of the ps4 and only one of the Xbox 180. Add all the different ps4 bundles up and they are ahead of the Xbox one.

A bit misleading that report really.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
That's only because there are various different bundles and editions of the ps4 and only one of the Xbox 180. Add all the different ps4 bundles up and they are ahead of the Xbox one.

In reality I don't think it means a f**king thing

Digital purchases are the future. I don't know why anyone would want to clutter up their house with physical copies. I can't remember the last time I installed a PC game from an optical drive.

However, always connected games can be a huge pain in the ass. People are all like "no problem for me, my internets is super awesome". Yeah that's nice. What happens when the servers go down?

And what about people who have s**t Internet? It would takes months for me to download a 30GB game!!
Can't wait until I move into my house though, 120mb ftw!

Exactly, declaring the winner of next gen console war at this point is premature on the level of a CS Virgin.

TBF the notion of a "winner" is just bent anyway IMO. All I care about is the games I get to play. Sales figures are of no concern.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
TBF the notion of a "winner" is just bent anyway IMO. All I care about is the games I get to play. Sales figures are of no concern.

With this in mind, your point above about the digital era is moot.

People don't care about figures, using a disc, using cloud, connecting to the internet every 24 hours etc. etc.

They care about the games they are playing. That's where most folk want to see improvements in almost every aspect of gaming.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Digital purchases are the future. I don't know why anyone would want to clutter up their house with physical copies. I can't remember the last time I installed a PC game from an optical drive.

However, always connected games can be a huge pain in the ass. People are all like "no problem for me, my internets is super awesome". Yeah that's nice. What happens when the servers go down?

See: SimCity launch

With this in mind, your point above about the digital era is moot.

People don't care about figures, using a disc, using cloud, connecting to the internet every 24 hours etc. etc.

They care about the games they are playing. That's where most folk want to see improvements in almost every aspect of gaming.

You'll have to clarify that for me mate? My point about not caring who "wins" is entirely separate from the digital download thing. As someone who's been doing it on PC for years, I am aware of the huge advantages it offers over buying physical copies. Although it does sometimes have drawbacks also. Well, when I say sometimes, I mean with any game published by Electronic Arts.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
You'll have to clarify that for me mate? My point about not caring who "wins" is entirely separate from the digital download thing. As someone who's been doing it on PC for years, I am aware of the huge advantages it offers over buying physical copies. Although it does sometimes have drawbacks also. Well, when I say sometimes, I mean with any game published by Electronic Arts.

TBH, I don't know what the f*ck I'm talking about.

M$ backing down from their original stance has perhaps increased their popularity and sales figures, but losing the digital aspect that sounded so incredible must be a real negative, not only for them, but for everyone as far as future proofing is concerned. The sharing function I thought was clever, even if it was limited.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Only 88 here.

It's difficult to gauge where or not the u-turn is good or bad at this stage. Simply making games available offline permanently would be enough really IMO.

It is funny though, they were always saying how integral and important the DRM system is to the OS.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
You know there don't have to be crumbs for you to coin the phrase, right? lol. I feel sorry for the person that shat out Ayda

Titanium 182

I thought those Amazon charts only tracked orders made in the last 7 days or so? It'd make sense that the Xbox 180 had overtaken PS4 preorders in that time.

Also: lolz at Microsoft not wanting to piss off retailers - isn't that exactly what their DRM system was meant to do in the first place?

3uwz1t.jpg

​I don't like the tone of this, but I agree with the sentiment:
D7QZDoD.png

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Lots of rumours going about that the 'family sharing' feature where you could share the game with people on your friends list would actually only allow them a 60min trial, not to have the full game as and when they like.

Mito Sportiva 135
Speculation on something that isn't going to happen...some people obviously have way too much time on their hands :S

dk

911 GTS Cab
I thought those Amazon charts only tracked orders made in the last 7 days or so? It'd make sense that the Xbox 180 had overtaken PS4 preorders in that time.

Also: lolz at Microsoft not wanting to piss off retailers - isn't that exactly what their DRM system was meant to do in the first place?
No, even with drm you had to sell it back to a retailer who then sold it on to the next person, it's just as part of that sale the publisher got a cut, something they don't get at the moment.

​Think about how many games a company like Walmart in the us will sell for the publishers, and amazon etc.

Titanium 182
But the retailer was going to have to pay £35 to transfer that licence. It essentially destroyed their profit in the used market. Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but why would they be happy about those changes?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
But the retailer was going to have to pay £35 to transfer that licence. It essentially destroyed their profit in the used market. Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but why would they be happy about those changes?

I wasn't aware any charges relating to what the retailer was going to pay were ever published. Should probably stop listening to the rumour sites.

Speculation on something that isn't going to happen...some people obviously have way too much time on their hands :S

Been sort of confirmed really..

When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game.

This is taken from a Pasebin entitled 'Heartbroken MS employee' found here: http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2

But the whole timer thing has been confirmed by a trustworth leaker over on NeoGaf, going by the name of 'crazy buttocks on a train' or CBOAT.

Mito Sportiva 135
I don't see why it would be true though - given most demos for AAA and AA games are at least 30 minutes long...this wouldn't have been any better.

Anyway, who cares, it's not happening...lets get on with our lives.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Lol, no it wasn't, you certainly misinterpreted that one. There was a figure of £35 floating around, this was claimed to be the total price someone would pay for a second hand game after all the fees had been to all parties involved. The retailer cut was definitely going to be smaller, but mover concrete was ever released around it.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game

So Family sharing wasn't actually all that good? Just another way to get someone to buy another overpriced digital version of the game?

I cannot believe the cheek of the developers trying to gain money from the sale of used games. Thats like me buying a Brand new Renault Clio 200T, and Renault expected some of the money when I sell it on. C#nts.