ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Anyone going to the rally car day in Castle coombe on saturday , I was going to take my golf for a shake down buts its developed a fault so it won't be ready , so taking the Clio now :D
I'm out rallying the following sunday then on Epynt again so looking forward to that , nothing new has happened to the car in a while , just waiting on the engine build by Fred now so I can get it dynoed and fitted in the car in sept

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Im doing the Prom stages 7/8th Sept then the Pendragon 22nd....

Need some good point to keep the lead in the championship.!!!! so steady run.:D

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Nothing more to add at the moment as I'm waiting to hear back from fred regarding my engine build , originally he said around a 2 week turn around but that didn't happen , didn't get a call back to discuss so don't know where I am with it now , i'll see if I can get an answer the beginning of the week , if not i'll have to look to get it done elsewhere , I'm rallying in Jersey mid Oct and want the new engine fitted for that one.

I'm off to Epynt again this weekend for the next round of the Welsh championship , so off to do the recce today , scrutineer later on today , then the rally starts in the morning , so am hoping for a good result and some luck to keep my championship alive , could do with some rain to give me a chance against the more powerful cars :approve:

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Had a good event yesterday and finished 2nd in class and 15th overall :D

Had a few scares along the way , the rear brake pad fell out between the first and second stage as the slider bar holding them in had moved , luckily it went on the road section as the pedal hit the floor when I broke , wouldn't have enjoyed that coming up the end of a long straight on the stages lol , fitted new pads in the next service and all was good.

The 6th stage had a big jump 200 yds from the end of the stage , we took it as fast as we could go and had a hard landing , too hard as it broke the bumper and headlight brackets !! more importantly it bent the sump guard which cracked the sump , so had oil leaking out , we were having a good look in service and deciding whether to retire or go for it topping up the oil before and after the stages so we could score championship points , as we only had 2 stages to go , and at the end of the day its only a standard engine we decided to finish the event , it hardly leaked any oil on the longest of the last 2 stages so was a good decision to carry on :D

Hopefully that will be my last event with a standard engine fitted , got jersey in about 6 weeks so need to get shifting on the new engine.

I'll upload some incar stuff later on , we were going a lot better than the last Epynt we did a month ago.

The people close to us in the championship finished ahead of us on this event , so we have been pushed back to 3rd overall by the WRC Impreza , but as this is a very fast event we were expecting it , we need to do well on the last round in Pembrey , and hopefully it will be a wet one as we have a good chance of beating them there .

Oh well onwards and upwards lol

Cheers Ian

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Had a good event yesterday and finished 2nd in class and 15th overall :D

Had a few scares along the way , the rear brake pad fell out between the first and second stage as the slider bar holding them in had moved , luckily it went on the road section as the pedal hit the floor when I broke , wouldn't have enjoyed that coming up the end of a long straight on the stages lol , fitted new pads in the next service and all was good.

The 6th stage had a big jump 200 yds from the end of the stage , we took it as fast as we could go and had a hard landing , too hard as it broke the bumper and headlight brackets !! more importantly it bent the sump guard which cracked the sump , so had oil leaking out , we were having a good look in service and deciding whether to retire or go for it topping up the oil before and after the stages so we could score championship points , as we only had 2 stages to go , and at the end of the day its only a standard engine we decided to finish the event , it hardly leaked any oil on the longest of the last 2 stages so was a good decision to carry on :D

Hopefully that will be my last event with a standard engine fitted , got jersey in about 6 weeks so need to get shifting on the new engine.

I'll upload some incar stuff later on , we were going a lot better than the last Epynt we did a month ago.

The people close to us in the championship finished ahead of us on this event , so we have been pushed back to 3rd overall by the WRC Impreza , but as this is a very fast event we were expecting it , we need to do well on the last round in Pembrey , and hopefully it will be a wet one as we have a good chance of beating them there .

Oh well onwards and upwards lol

Cheers Ian

Great results its a tough place and bhp counts there....and a big pair of *&%*cks....! We have 3 rallys in Spetember going to be a busy month.

Come on Fred get your finger out......

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Stage 6 looks like a sensational bit of road. Would love to have a go at that!!

Like the jump at the end; shame about the damage through.

Congratulations on the result.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Had some pictures emailed to me today from last week :D

I'm on my way back down to crack the sump here

mewlajump.jpg

I quite like this one as well

mewla2012.jpg

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Very nice pictures, I have done a couple of historic rallys there its a fab place but not so nice when you go off.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Fred phoned me earlier and said it should be ready to collect on the weekend :)

Not sure what weekend though :D

Its not enough time now to fit the new engine for the next rally in Jersey in October , nothing happening with the Clio before hand but changing the sump and a spanner check front to back.

I am out in my Golf this weekend doing the national section of Wales rally GB , were off to Mid Wales tomorrow for scrutineering and the rally starts friday morning , can't wait :D

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Nice bit of rain to keep the dust down. Have fun.

I don't mind it if its wet , dust is a pain , its gets everywhere !

Just hope after the problems I have had with the engine and box its all sorted now and reliable , spent a F'ing fortune on this Golf in the last 2 months just to do this event , so fingers crossed

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Bit of a shame about the engine not being ready, but atleast you wont be making my car look asmatic haha. Should be interesting to see how the 2 cars compare, cant let yourself get beaten by a kid! ;)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Bit of a shame about the engine not being ready, but atleast you wont be making my car look asmatic haha. Should be interesting to see how the 2 cars compare, cant let yourself get beaten by a kid! ;)

Pah like thats going to happen , you will have your arse handed to you on a plate by an old man lol , see the seeding is out now

Pics of the new engine ????

No haven't had it yet , he's having issues with the head gasket I supplied which came from PEC so he's trying to sort that out now

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Pah like thats going to happen , you will have your arse handed to you on a plate by an old man lol , see the seeding is out now

Haha i should hope so too, i havent even sat in the car since last October let alone driven it. Yeh, see your 18th. They have me down in 60th.. hope thats far enough down not to catch people a 1/3 of the way through a stage like last year!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

No haven't had it yet , he's having issues with the head gasket I supplied which came from PEC so he's trying to sort that out now

I got a PEC headgasket on the current engine (athena MLS) you can get different dia ones. What the issue ?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I got a PEC headgasket on the current engine (athena MLS) you can get different dia ones. What the issue ?

Fred said it was a poor fit , and the bore is undersize so the pistons are catching it at TDC , he seemed to think the gasket might have been packed wrongly and is the wrong size

Lionel Richie
Ordered a cometic instead, pec are sending another anthea turner but i don't think they're upto much, quality is a bit naff :-( maybe a one off

Lionel Richie
Imagine you have a round beer mat and you place you pint on it flush to the edge, thats how it fits! (if that makes any sense!)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
ok no problem , looking forward to seeing how the car goes with more power , if its as good as my Golf i'll be well happy , did Wales rally GB over the weekend in it , and apart from snapping 3 driveshafts , 2 of them on the first stage 3 miles into it which halted our first day , I had a great time :D

rallyGB2.jpg

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
I was was spectating at sweet lamb on Friday I presume the car had broke by then as didn't see it go through