ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Imagine you have a round beer mat and you place you pint on it flush to the edge, thats how it fits! (if that makes any sense!)

Ours was spot on for the F7 only thing was that the some of the main water jacket hole were spaced differently to standard but doesnt make any difference etc.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Quick update as I haven't touched the car since Epynt , changed the sump last week , so will start it today , battery has gone a bit flat so won't turn over fast enough to start it , going over the jump that cracked the sump has done quite a bit of damage , after having a good look at it , its bent the edges of the subframe , its even creased the O/S inner wing slightly where the rod fits between the subframe and inner wing ! so definitely won't be doing anymore big jumps in it .

Got my lamp pod down from the attic this week and dusted it off , been there a year , bought it ready for Jersey last year but didn't get the car finished , its a crap fitting pod on the bonnet , so have put it in the best position with the least amount of gaps , started cutting out the fronts and drilling it to fit the lights , will get it all finished today then strip it down to have it sprayed red to match the car , will order a couple of HID kits for it and get it wired up next week , the car is already wired for it and has the plug on the underside of the bonnet

CDE4440E-FFD1-46B4-AA38-0647BB313FBD-531-000000AAF69314AE.jpg

The seats need to come out and give a real good clean as its full of dust inside where we had to go through the forests to get back to the service area on the last rally , so going to give a good clean in and out , and get it back on the ramp and spanner check it front to back so its ready to go.

182cup & 172 racecar
I had one of those for my old TR7 V8, plenty of light, but couldn't see over it lol.

Bad news on inner wing, as long as the wheels are facing the right way, that's all you need.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Any engine update ???

No waiting for Fred to get a new head gasket and get back to me .

Sorted out the lamp pod , and painted , lamps fitted and HID kits wired in

40E9FFAB-ABA5-4A04-A694-41C6D7B23497-2061-000002A00B231DB1.jpg

7BA7C1BD-BEB6-41B0-8424-CAE6BA9779BE-2061-000002A017A2EAB8.jpg

Couple of jobs left to do and she's ready to go , I'm flying over to Jersey on friday afternoon until sunday afternoon to do the recce , then back over on the ferry with the van and trailer wednesday morning for the rally start thursday night :D

Looking forward to it now

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Bugger ! been out tonight to set up the spot lights and broke a shaft in the lanes , anyone know where I can get an O/S shaft from tomorrow for the sadev race car set up ? i'm off to Jersey early wednesday morning , might be taking the golf if I can't sort it

Clio172cup rally car
I could sell you some shafts but it would have to be the pair? Plus I live in carmarthen so only 45mins away

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Are they for the 172 Clio race car , how much you want for them ? Pm me your number

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Ok no problem , do you know anyone that can dyno it while its with you save me running round doing it

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Well didn't get my car fixed for Jersey , couldn't get a drive shaft for it , apparently my car is an early one and the shafts are different and unavailable ! tried everywhere to get one , even R Sport don't supply them anymore , so I contacted the company who made the shafts for my Golf and sent them up the snapped shaft , and a week later is was made , I had delivery of it this morning so its all back together and working again now.

I am off to Pembrey on Sunday for my last rally in the Welsh tarmac championship , so hopefully sew up the class win , and see if I can get any higher than 3rd overall , fingers crossed

Cheers Ian

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
No haven't had it back off Fred yet , as soon as sunday is done , the engine and box are coming out and the box has to go back to SWR as its not changing gear cleanly so they can strip and sort it out , and i'm hoping the engine will be ready so I can put it back together , test it , and probably do Pembrey as a test the end of December as a test ready for West Cork in March

I'm going to have the car resprayed as well as its looking a bit tatty now , and will have the new digital dash fitted all ready for next year

Clio172cup rally car
Aww nice! Shame the engine won't be ready for this weekend! No need to rush I suppose as this is the last round, nice new engine and refreshed box for next year. I'm out on the xmas stages too, be nice to see the 2 clio's together!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
No haven't had it back off Fred yet , as soon as sunday is done , the engine and box are coming out and the box has to go back to SWR as its not changing gear cleanly so they can strip and sort it out , and i'm hoping the engine will be ready so I can put it back together , test it , and probably do Pembrey as a test the end of December as a test ready for West Cork in March

I'm going to have the car resprayed as well as its looking a bit tatty now , and will have the new digital dash fitted all ready for next year

Box didnt last long before issues again, quite concerned about mine now....

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Box didnt last long before issues again, quite concerned about mine now....

I think its human error on the rebuild on mine rather than the gearbox itself , it would seem the barrel is not going into the correct position when I have changed gear , its out very slightly which means the gear stick won't move for the flat change to engage when you select another gear , it seems to be better once its hot and I have a couple of stages done , they think the barrel is sticking slightly , they did say I could remove some parts and do it myself , but after spending nearly £3k to have it built I said i'd send it back for them to do.

Apart from that the gearbox is working perfectly , just means I have to change gear with the clutch.

The engine and box is coming out next week for the new engine to go in ( if I ever get it :rasp: ) so will get the box looked at and refit it all together.

Cheers Ian

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I managed to snap a front hub on my rally car after hitting a rock on the weekend , I have given Renault parts in Cardiff the part number on the disc I have been given by R sport but they say they are unavailable , I'm sure I have read they are off a Laguna RT ??

Anyone know which ones they used , and the bearings as well

Cheers Ian

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Is there not a part number cast into it? pretty sure they are Laguna with an insert for the track rod end pressed in. Might be worth checking the uni ball pin is still straight as well cause I managed to bend one on mine when it got crashed and my hub didn't even break.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I haven't got the car here to see if has a number on it , in the end I ordered it from R sport along with a new bearing , should have it on wednesday , have also ordered 2 pins but they will be a couple of weeks when they go to pick other stuff up they said , I could have had some shipped over but it would cost £40 on shipping so i'll wait.

I do have a very slight bend in my one , so i'll change it as soon as I got one.

Spoke to Fred today to see when I will be getting my engine back , he said he's in Australia until the beginning of November so hopefully will get it as soon as he's back

Cheers Ian

RB 182
I haven't got the car here to see if has a number on it , in the end I ordered it from R sport along with a new bearing , should have it on wednesday , have also ordered 2 pins but they will be a couple of weeks when they go to pick other stuff up they said , I could have had some shipped over but it would cost £40 on shipping so i'll wait.

I do have a very slight bend in my one , so i'll change it as soon as I got one.

Spoke to Fred today to see when I will be getting my engine back , he said he's in Australia until the beginning of November so hopefully will get it as soon as he's back

Cheers Ian

If he comes back ;)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
I have quite a few new spares hubs front and rear and just seen your post as i have 2 new shafts as well...!!! all spares for my car. You wont get any help from Renault direct.

Look forward to the engine and seeing how the box copes as im going to be putting the 240bhp F7R engine in mine or a very torquey 230bhp engine i have just purchased.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2

Cheers Ian

How much did the new hub set you back? I some how managed to get a set of genuine cup racer ones on ebay about a year or two ago for like £50. Seems that hub breakages are a bit of a common issue on these cars, seems to run hand in hand with cars that have had knackered uni balls at some point but may just be a coincidence.. Ive fitted grease nipples to my holders now, well worth doing imo. With regular greasing should last quite a while compared to teflon/kevlar lines ones.

Id be tempted to wait and fit the new hub and pin together just incase the taper is slightly out of shape due to being bent, dont really want it wiggling around in your new hub and ovaling the taper really. It seems they can take a few miles to settle as well, had to nip mine up slightly a few times. Ive paint marked them and havent moved since the rally so might be worth thinking about as its not something you really want coming loose!

Just realised i forgot to ring you about the plug the other day! are you free tomorrow?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
The new hub was £109 and the bearing was £48 , don't know how much the pins are , but I have to wait for them to come from France , the other two parts i'll have tomorrow.
As I still have fuel and tyres ready to go , i'll put a late entry into the Fat Albert stages on saturday , need my rally fix satisfied after the last two rallies I have done lol

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Think the hubs are the same as the R3 ones and maybe the Twingo R2. The rear beam/suspension looks identical to the clio Cup set up, maybe quoting the newer part number (for the same thing) will bring up a cheaper price as this is how its worked on other bits.

Cup In bits
EVOgone i thought the racers had stiffer bushes and some mild stiffening to the axle?

Surprised at the hub prices, I expected much more. Extender pins are only around £30 each, most suspension pieces I have bought are around that, rear shocker top and bottom mounts, rose joints, uniballs.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Pretty reasonable that, think I paid £38 each for the pins.

Yeh the rear axles have stiffer bushes and some small gussets, nothing special. If I bend mine ill just fit a road car axle.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I have already fitted a road car axle after bending the race one in Caerwent , I couldn't see any difference in the beam itself , I took out the road spec bushes and fitted the race ones into it

182cup & 172 racecar
Bit like the old days with Ford, Group 4 roller top mounts £40 (back then:eek:) Capri top mounts the same, £12 job done.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Had the parts delivered by R sport , and they are wrong ! might have buggered up my plans for rallying this weekend now , just taken the old hub off my car and its a lot bigger than the one they sent me , I think they have sent me a standard clio road car hub , even after giving them the numbers from the race car CD , ffs !

The one fitted to my car

6380FE4D-3D78-4AD3-8735-D29B1C471FAC-5430-000004C0C90F7463.jpg

The new one they sent me

998B376B-9D64-454F-ABBF-A0278BB01B38-5430-000004C0CEAAF53F.jpg

and the two side by side

DDB1758F-0C81-42C3-B59B-79309C76EE14-5430-000004C0C080F3DA.jpg

Even the bearing they sent me is miles smaller.

I have just had a search on ebay and looked at the laguna ones , and seen a scrap yard has a Mk 1 front hub that looks the same as mine , so have just ordered it , they said they can send it out tonight so hopefully them will and it will fit just to get me back out on the weekend

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yeh thats deffo just a standard clio hub, ive had many a heated discussion about the hubs with R-sport when i tried to order some suspension. Trying to tell me they are just 182 hubs and all sorts, i was just like well i have 172, 182 and Cup racer hubs here and they are all different..

It should just be a laguna hub but you will need to fit the track rod end insert from the old hub as i think they fit from the top on the laguna as far as i know.